Post-Game Talk: Game 18 - Bruins lay a brontosaurus egg in Manhattan - NYR 6 Boston 2 F

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
not upset I missed this one, hopefully I`m able to sit down with my morning coffee tomorrow and watch a focused team. I see Butch possibly sitting Bjork, that`s fine if he`s the whipping boy but JDB still doing jack all either I see but he keeps getting pushed over the boards for shift after shift :huh:

Bjork can`t go three games with 0 shots but shifting him out as Jake continues to play passenger hockey and collecting cheques isn`t great either

Yeah I don't get the beating on Bjork. He was one of the few guys in the past two games that played with any kind of energy. Jake's corpse is starting to stink . . .

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah I don't get the beating on Bjork. He was one of the few guys in the past two games that played with any kind of energy. Jake's corpse is starting to stink . . .
missed last night`s tilt and again, I do agree that Bjork not landing a shot on goal for 3 games isn`t what I want to see as a Bjork fanboy, but as you said, he and Jack vs the Isles the other night were the only line I felt didn`t give up and played with some energy....anyways, Butch clearly hates the kid and it feels like the writing is on the wall

Reactions: Estlin and Dr Hook

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Can we also stop flipping back and forth every single game between Rask and Halak? I know the 1a, 1b thing is a desirable trait of today’s NHL, but I think the actual starter pulling a net positive out of waiting many nights between every single start isn’t guaranteed. In an already short season with tons of stoppages. Let Tuukka get into a groove now and utilize Halak more when the games actually start to compact and fatigue is a factor. Sometimes, it just feels like babying more than game management. Tuukka is likely to handle all playoff duties, so I don’t get the strategy to keep his workload so minimal now only to start piling it on when the games get more demanding.

I know plenty of people don’t agree with this take, but I’ve felt that way for a while and don’t think I’ve ever thrown it out on the board.

Last edited:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
The 1st period at Lake Tahoe bothered me. It got forgotten after the resounding win, but after scoring early the Bruins spent most of the rest of the 1st being thoroughly out-worked and out-played by a depleted opponent. There was a stretch where they were constantly losing puck battles and they coughed up 2 goals pretty quick. All this in a big occasion game in a glorious setting that should have been all the inspiration they needed to come out firing. And it just didn't happen.

Obviously they got their act together in the 2nd and put the Flyers to the sword, and credit to them for that. But their poor compete level in the 1st just lingered for me as a bad sign. I certainly didn't expect it to lead into 2 thrashings like this, but it doesn't completely shock me either. The Boston of recent years have never been the most outright talented team, but their compete and willingness to work hard and stick with the systems Cassidy's put in place has been one of their greatest assets. This season for whatever reason it's gone missing for stretches and they're a bit boom/bust and inconsistent, which is rather un-Bruins like. Feels like it's at that point where it's on Sweeney to shake things up a bit, whether that's a trade or two, call ups from Providence, or something else. Team needs a jolt. Not a big one, not yet anyway, but enough to make them take notice.

The first period was when the sun was directly facing our end so I gave them an out in that period.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
win or lose tomorrow I simply want to see effort and a bit of grit. I think we have the softest lineup in the NHL at the moment

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
missed last night`s tilt and again, I do agree that Bjork not landing a shot on goal for 3 games isn`t what I want to see as a Bjork fanboy, but as you said, he and Jack vs the Isles the other night were the only line I felt didn`t give up and played with some energy....anyways, Butch clearly hates the kid and it feels like the writing is on the wall

Or he hates what the kid does on the ice?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
win or lose tomorrow I simply want to see effort and a bit of grit. I think we have the softest lineup in the NHL at the moment

As the years have passed, I think this type of comment is made every season, regardless of the lineup/team.

What do people expect when you lose 2 of your more physical players in Lauzon and Miller? There isn’t usually replacements ready to go that bring this game.

Reactions: Dr Hook

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Is your memory really worse than mine?

11-0 in Hartford and lost to the Bruins the day before. Oh, and no Gretzky or Kurri.

Actual question: Is Frederic a natural pain in the butt or has he been groomed to be one? Almost seems like his focus is more on disruption than playing the game. He was a first round pick, I would assume he has enough talent to contribute in a more productive way.
Edmonton Oilers at Boston Bruins Box Score — February 11, 1984 | Hockey-Reference.com

yes 11-0 not 13-0

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Tuukka Rask, the winner Sunday at Lake Tahoe, was back in net for the Bruins and expected to go against the Blueshirts again in Sunday’s noon start at MSG. Of the three injured defensemen, the only one expected to return soon is Matt Grzelcyk, who skated again with the club Thursday. He’s a possibility to play Sunday, with David Quinn, his former coach at BU, behind the Rangers bench ... Anders Bjork went a third straight game without landing a shot on net. Don’t be surprised if Cassidy slides a taxi-squader (Karson Kuhlman?) into his spot Sunday. He logged only 11:52 in ice time and attempted one shot (off net). Cassidy pulled Bjork for a shift or two, and double-shifted David Pastrnak as a left wing on the Jack Studnicka/DeBrusk line … Kuraly lost 7 of his 10 faceoffs, another spot where the Bruins miss David Krejci’s expertise …

I am so tired of Bjork being Butch's whipping boy. I am not saying Bjork has been playing great,but there is at least effort there. Wagner has contributed what ??? A -5 in two games he is sure playing well.

That 5 mph shot that Kuhlman will contribute from 40' will go a long ways towards winning

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
As the years have passed, I think this type of comment is made every season, regardless of the lineup/team.

What do people expect when you lose 2 of your more physical players in Lauzon and Miller? There isn’t usually replacements ready to go that bring this game.

even if they were back we are generally soft. I don think losing a rookie D and a 6d should make much difference. the lack of compete was terrible last night. not looking to go on it up but at least the odd body check would be nice.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like that move if he becomes an occasional fourth line player when we're looking for a physical lineup.

I hate the move if he becomes any sort of regular player with the big club. It'd be like handing Anton Blidh a regular spot in the lineup in terms of offensive potential.
he`s a D-man no or did he convert to forward?

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I like that move if he becomes an occasional fourth line player when we're looking for a physical lineup.

I hate the move if he becomes any sort of regular player with the big club. It'd be like handing Anton Blidh a regular spot in the lineup in terms of offensive potential.
He’s a dman.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018

Umm......... I'm sorry to break it to you but he is a defenseman.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My uneducated guess....
Miller gonna be out a while.

Need for some grit?

“But listen, they are what they are and they are where they are in their career,” he added. “We went into this year with a good feeling on Kevan Miller’s health and unfortunately that took a turn. We miss that. We miss that bite back there — someone to settle things down. And [Jeremy Lauzon] we knew would play hard. He’s a big man that makes it tough in front of the net. We’ve missed those two guys.
“The last two games, a lot of stuff has happened in front of our net. Unfortunately, that’s not the strength of Zboril and Vaakanainen right now

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My uneducated guess....

Need for some grit?

“But listen, they are what they are and they are where they are in their career,” he added. “We went into this year with a good feeling on Kevan Miller’s health and unfortunately that took a turn. We miss that. We miss that bite back there — someone to settle things down. And [Jeremy Lauzon] we knew would play hard. He’s a big man that makes it tough in front of the net. We’ve missed those two guys.
“The last two games, a lot of stuff has happened in front of our net. Unfortunately, that’s not the strength of Zboril and Vaakanainen right now
I`m a bit bothered by Zboril`s lack of nastiness in front of the net. When I watched him in junior (probably close to 20 games live), he was a miserable SOB to anyone who dared skate anywhere under the hash marks trying to make their way to the front of his net....odd

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
My uneducated guess....

Need for some grit?

Agree also hopefully this means you can send Vaak back to the A

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I’d like Cassidy to tell his forwards to finish every check on Fox- hit him and hit him hard AND clean - and his partner Lindgren as well

Fox can get away but not always and Lindgren can’t and you can get him running around

also I’m coach I tell my players the two D’s....DISCIPLINE & DETERMINATION and at the end of game ask yourself bow you did

Back to Fox

Marchand knows this as he went after him but screw that - I want a Wolfpack mentality specifically on Fox

I want Fox realizing those MFs are coming after me every shift / and see where he goes with it - the second forward should be looking at Lindgren and finish him off

incredible the Bruins D get targeted but they let guys like Fox skate around like stick practice

Problem is that they don't have a lot of ornery forwards
that like walloping people. Frederic/Wagner about it.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I`m a bit bothered by Zboril`s lack of nastiness in front of the net. When I watched him in junior (probably close to 20 games live), he was a miserable SOB to anyone who dared skate anywhere under the hash marks trying to make their way to the front of his net....odd
Glad he has that in him, perhaps the team told him to tone it down. It was one of the strikes against him earlier on in his time in the AHL. I imagine if he starts taking more penalties they could use that as the reason to sit him. Maybe they will let him play more his way now with how the last 2 games went and no Lauzon and maybe no more Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad