GDT: Game 18 - Blue Jackets vs Predators - "This Game Day Thread is Critical" edition - 2/18 7 PM

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
No disrespect to Cam, but having Laine and Rossy on his line has really opened the ice for him - and he's taking advantage of it.

On that goal not one, not two, but all the three Predators went to Laine so Cam was all alone. Pretty sick.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
No disrespect to Cam, but having Laine and Rossy on his line has really opened the ice for him - and he's taking advantage of it.
Honestly he should pass to Laine and Roslo when they are way above him, there were couple of situations where he would have gotten better play with passing since now whole offense slowed down and others had to wait Cam & puck on blueline.

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Honestly he should pass to Laine and Roslo when they are way above him, there were couple of situations where he would have gotten better play with passing since now whole offense slowed down and others had to wait Cam & puck on blueline.

I am still hopeful Cam will one day find Patty and Jack. It hasn't happened yet, but instead Patty & Jack have been feeding Cam and he has been capitalizing his chances lately. It doesn't matter who scores, as long as the line is winning their game.

Also the opponent is trying to prevent passing for Laine for obvious reasons. Against Preds Cam thought he had not enough room to pass so he tried to shoot the goalie pads to force a rebound for Patty, but just didn't happen.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
I am still hopeful Cam will one day find Patty and Jack. It hasn't happened yet, but instead Patty & Jack have been feeding Cam and he has been capitalizing his chances lately. It doesn't matter who scores, as long as the line is winning their game.

Also the opponent is trying to prevent passing for Laine for obvious reasons. Against Preds Cam thought he had not enough room to pass so he tried to shoot the goalie pads to force a rebound for Patty, but just didn't happen.
Yes, it is not about who scores but they could score more when he would learn to pass the puck :D

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
People ask why does Elvis have a higher ceiling .. that’s his 6th shutout in 1.25 seasons . Korpi has 3 in 5.25 seasons .
Elvis' record in shutout games 6-0
Korpi's record in shutout games over same time 2-0

Elvis' record in non shutout games 10-11-9
Korpi's record in non shutout games over same time 22-16-8

Shutouts are nice, but you need to win games when you give up goals too.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I agree plus it seems to me that Roslovic not once overexpose (I hope it`s a right word) the puck. By the way if Jack won`t improve his face-offs, I wouldn`t be suprise if, with regard love Torts to change lines and positions of players, Patrick will soon be playing a center and Jack a winger. :sarcasm:;) Because it isn`t normal when the first offensive line is mostly engaged to take of the puck and not score. Well, I'd rather keep quiet as the line plays without the puck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Elvis' record in shutout games 6-0
Korpi's record in shutout games over same time 2-0

Elvis' record in non shutout games 10-11-9
Korpi's record in non shutout games over same time 22-16-8

Shutouts are nice, but you need to win games when you give up goals too.
So your saying Elvis needs to score some goals as well ? On a team that has struggled to score more than 2 goals for long periods of times , you're resorting to records in non shutouts :laugh:
F7BCA781-E3F9-4880-9DB2-27B41F1BF91E.png
37F7CE75-4C81-40DA-A267-2B669D66D86C.png
F7BCA781-E3F9-4880-9DB2-27B41F1BF91E.png 37F7CE75-4C81-40DA-A267-2B669D66D86C.png

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I now Domi wants to play C but his poor face-off and defensive performances show he's not really up t the task in Torts system. That one timer though...which he has shown us a few times is damn good and perhaps playing on a wing higher up in the lineup makes the most sense (I know that's what made him want to leave Montreal but it is what it is).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
^^Elvis last season got 2.35 goals/60 in support ("run support" to use a baseball term). That was basically league low, tied with John Gibson and Ben Bishop among goalies with 20+ starts last season.

Korpi's support per 60 was 2.65.

This season?
Korpi 2.83/60
Elvis 2.58/60

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I now Domi wants to play C but his poor face-off and defensive performances show he's not really up t the task in Torts system. That one timer though...which he has shown us a few times is damn good and perhaps playing on a wing higher up in the lineup makes the most sense (I know that's what made him want to leave Montreal but it is what it is).
Domi is 50% on the year in faceoffs. We were playing horribly as a teamwhen domi was initially tried there.

With the centers we have, there is absolutely zero reason to not be playing him there with him being pretty competent in faceoffs, as well as his passing ability.

Laine has had 1 shot on goal the last 2 games, the game prior to that he had 2 sog with 1 g

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
So your saying Elvis needs to score some goals as well ? On a team that has struggled to score more than 2 goals for long periods of times , you're resorting to records in non shutouts :laugh:
View attachment 397944 View attachment 397945 View attachment 397944 View attachment 397945
I don't think I said anything about Elvis needing to score goals. Yeah, he has a lot of shutouts. In games where he is scored on he isn't very good. He'll get better. I'm sorry I don't wet myself when he plays well, or Korpi for that matter, I just want the win. You also know if this was Korpi who got this ame shutout, the Elvis people would be like, it's just Nashville, they aren't any good, or he really didn't get tested that much.

Both goalies right now are about the same. I like both goalies. I like seeing goalies get shutouts, but if they don't, but still give up less than the other team I am fine with that. Getting shutouts has nothing to do with having a high ceiling as you said in your post that I was referring to. Being consistantly good would be, and right now he is almost even with Korpisalo. Will he get better, most likely, but so could Korpisalo.

Bottom line is this team has to play better defense in front of these guys. Games like Carolina can't happen. Both goalies numbers suffered because of that. The defense was just as bad for Elvis in the 3rd and his numbers took a hit because of it.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't think I said anything about Elvis needing to score goals. Yeah, he has a lot of shutouts. In games where he is scored on he isn't very good. He'll get better. I'm sorry I don't wet myself when he plays well, or Korpi for that matter, I just want the win. You also know if this was Korpi who got this ame shutout, the Elvis people would be like, it's just Nashville, they aren't any good, or he really didn't get tested that much.

Both goalies right now are about the same. I like both goalies. I like seeing goalies get shutouts, but if they don't, but still give up less than the other team I am fine with that. Getting shutouts has nothing to do with having a high ceiling as you said in your post that I was referring to. Being consistantly good would be, and right now he is almost even with Korpisalo. Will he get better, most likely, but so could Korpisalo.

Bottom line is this team has to play better defense in front of these guys. Games like Carolina can't happen. Both goalies numbers suffered because of that. The defense was just as bad for Elvis in the 3rd and his numbers took a hit because of it.

"you need to win the games where you give up goals too" requires offensive goal support. He's getting a lot less than Korpi. How's that his fault?

Here are all the games the Jackets have given up 2 goals or fewer this season:
1/18 @ Detroit 3-2 WIN (Korpisalo)
1/23 vs Tampa Bay 5-2 WIN (Merzlikins)
1/28 vs Florida 3-2 SO WIN (Merzlikins)
1/29 @ Chicago 2-1 WIN (Korpisalo)
2/8 vs Carolina 3-2 WIN (Korpisalo)
2/18 vs Nashville 3-0 WIN (Merzlikins)

Maybe Korpi should try giving up fewer goals? The narrative was/(is?) he plays better with more consistent starts. He started 7 straight and gave up 6 to Dallas, 6 to Carolina 5 to Chicago, and got yanked from the Carolina game after giving up 5 in two periods. In over half of his 7 consecutive starts he gave up 5+.

"Both goalies right now are about the same"
upload_2021-2-19_10-1-6.png

upload_2021-2-19_10-2-23.png

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Domi is 50% on the year in faceoffs. We were playing horribly as a teamwhen domi was initially tried there.

With the centers we have, there is absolutely zero reason to not be playing him there with him being pretty competent in faceoffs, as well as his passing ability.

Laine has had 1 shot on goal the last 2 games, the game prior to that he had 2 sog with 1 g

No reason? Domi can’t play defense at all. Especially as a center. Torts said he’s overthinking everything when he’s at center and I’m inclined to agree. He had a decent game, might as well let him continue to work on his game at wing first before moving him around more. It’s more than just faceoffs.

Reactions: Doggy

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"you need to win the games where you give up goals too" requires offensive goal support. He's getting a lot less than Korpi. How's that his fault?

Maybe Korpi should try giving up fewer goals? The narrative was/(is?) he plays better with more consistent starts. He started 7 straight and gave up 6 to Dallas, 6 to Carolina 5 to Chicago, and got yanked from the Carolina game after giving up 5 in two periods. In over half of his 7 consecutive starts he gave up 5+.

View attachment 397958
View attachment 397960
Korpi's also been getting hung out to dry by defensive lapses. Elvis got pretty good defensive support last night. They're not exclusively A Product Of The System (I will demand satisfaction from anyone who dares suggest that they are), but they're not playing in a vacuum either.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
No reason? Domi can’t play defense at all. Especially as a center. Torts said he’s overthinking everything when he’s at center and I’m inclined to agree. He had a decent game, might as well let him continue to work on his game at wing first before moving him around more. It’s more than just faceoffs.
Stenlund isn`t good in defense too. ;)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

View attachment 397958
View attachment 397960
There is no doubt Korpi has struggled recently, he needs to be better. The last Carolina game was a horrible defensive display and it wouldn't have mattered who was in net.

If Korpi keeps struggling he will be passed by Elvis. When both guys are going well, to me they are interchangable.

The records are what they are, I just didn't like the comparison with the shutouts. Big deal Korpi has less shutouts, doesn't make him a bad goalie. I just thought that was a lame comparison.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
There is no doubt Korpi has struggled recently, he needs to be better. The last Carolina game was a horrible defensive display and it wouldn't have mattered who was in net.

If Korpi keeps struggling he will be passed by Elvis. When both guys are going well, to me they are interchangable.

The records are what they are, I just didn't like the comparison with the shutouts. Big deal Korpi has less shutouts, doesn't make him a bad goalie. I just thought that was a lame comparison.
Korpi can look great for periods of time , but his stats are his stats . Whether you look at last season , or this season , or Korpis career stats , none are great . He’s had a career GAA of 2.87 and save % .906. Looking at his game logs he plays really well for periods , and plays really bad for periods of time.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Korpi's also been getting hung out to dry by defensive lapses. Elvis got pretty good defensive support last night. They're not exclusively A Product Of The System (I will demand satisfaction from anyone who dares suggest that they are), but they're not playing in a vacuum either.

I mean, I'm not sure we can draw anything from one shutout against the Preds. Nashville is a mess right now (sorry) offensively.

We'll need to see more - especially away from the Preds. But I'm not buying that Korpisalo gets hung out to dry and then suddenly the team buttons it up when Elvis is in net.

Over the last year+, Elvis has simply been a better goalie than Korpisalo (playoffs notwithstanding). He's a career .922, though the sample size is 41 games (up to the interpreter if that's a large enough sample size or not). With Korpi struggling this season, I expect 50/50s on the back-to-back but perhaps Elvis will start picking up the odd games coming up in the schedule that aren't part of series.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Korpi can look great for periods of time , but his stats are his stats . Whether you look at last season , or this season , or Korpis career stats , none are great . He’s had a career GAA of 2.87 and save % .906. Looking at his game logs he plays really well for periods , and plays really bad for periods of time.
Again, I have never said he was a great goalie. There are things I have seen watching him play in Cleveland and in Columbus that I like and don't like. So far he is a goalie that has proven he is a more than capable back up, and he has proven, at least last year, he can be a good number one goalie and get an all star nod. He also can be that guy who lets bad goals get to him and then his overall game suffers, and I can see he still can overplay shots and get himself way out of position.

He never played bad enough last season to lose the starting job, but if his recent struggles continue much longer, he will find himself the backup again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad