My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think the wife wanted to steal bure's moment tonight, wowza

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Last few days in the Leaf thread on this game heard endlessly about the Sedins sisters and such. Well for a couple of girls they did pretty good. Like dominate the game.

Outside of the PP a very effective game by the team. Team defense was excellent and team really jumped on loose pucks in every zone. Toronto is not that great a skating team outside of couple of players and that showed in this game when the Canucks simply out-skated them. Could see Toronto wanted to slow things down and just get into mugging and banging game but the Canucks, in this game, did a good job of responding when necessary and sticking to their knitting - especially the Sedins

The Good

Kassain - some very effective shifts. Still think he makes random passes rather than driving the net but his tempo was way better tonight and he was a lot more involved with the play. Probably the way it will be with Kassain - one step forward, one back etc...I guess playing a team from his home province helps him to get more up for games. Hopefully can bring this effort more often

Sedins - outstanding - hard to score when the other team has the puck all the time and Sedins more or less ensured this every shift.

Archibald - ok it was a not a large sample size and most of his good play took place in garbage time. But still he was an offensive threat throughout the later part of the game. I watched him all last year in Chicago and he had games like this where he was very good offensively. He really does well down low in the offensive end. That's his strong point. Needs to get better on over all skating, especially in tightening up his pivot and would like it if he stuck his nose into situations more. However, keeps this up and he may be pushing Wiese or Booth for a spot.

Hamhuis - great mobility in this game. Miscued with the puck a couple of times but he competed very well in his end and got very good pressure on the puck in the neutral zone.

Tanev - had quiet but very effective game. Love how this player so quickly turns the play around. His game always shows excellent hockey intelligence and quickness. Still has some problems with puck battles in his end but is getting stronger.

Luongo - not a lot to do but very solid in not allowing rebounds and being quick when he had to be. I don't think he is giving players much net to shoot at.

Richardson - great game. Created offense, played great defense and killed penalties. Guy deserves superman consideration. Consistently ended up with loose pucks.

Other thoughts

Kesler was not at his best. Don't know if he should be on the PP right now. Seems just glued to a spot and then not really ready when the puck comes to him. Just swiping at the puck at times. Think Burrows is the better option. Thought both Kesler and Bieksa were cruise control in this one.

PP remains pretty damn poor. 5 on 3 was totally predicable and Toronto really didn't have to move out of triangle to kill it. I wonder why they don't ever rotate a player behind the net. Seems to me that this draws the defensemen to either side of the net and allows you move the shooters into a triangle in front of the net. Then you could have one player behind the net, two at the bottom of the circles to take pass outs for maybe a shot, one defenseman in the middle just above the face off circles and another forward between the defense man and the net. From the behind the net you could pass to players at the bottom of the circles and then that player would have the option of shooting or a choice of hitting the defense high or the intermediate player in the slot depending on who the defensive forward covered. Just a thought but might be an alternative to the static setup they have now.

Nice to see Sestito hang in with Orr and probably get the best of it.

Line of Higgins - Santorelli and Burrows was good but should have put away a few more of their chances.

Kind of ticks me off that Qinnn gets much recognition for Bure when he was instrumental in losing Bure and in Larianov - a player who would have made Bure even greater. An opinion but I think there are facts that back it up.

Nice win over Leafs - maybe my least favorite team at the moment. Love to see Carlyle get all bent out of shape. His teams have always been goon squads and he certainly had little right to complain about any calls in this one.

btw McLaren is turning into a jerk. Use to have some respect for him as an tough but honest player in San Jose but he is becoming cheap player. The Carlyle influence as I see it.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Domination, feelsgoodman

still can't believe that plug Clarkson got that contract

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Bad Karma he does not finish many games vs Vancouver. They have no respect for him. Kassian has injured Bolland Eager fought B. Stalbitz and roughed up Backes. He did not mean to kick him but i have no doubt he went in harder tham normal.

When you put it that way, I appreciate what he brings to the team a bit more. Not that I wish injury on a player in any way shape or form (and the Gagner stick was brutal) but going after Canuck nemeses is never a bad thing. With Eager it was a fight, and with this it was a hard check.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Archibald - ok it was a not a large sample size and most of his good play took place in garbage time. But still he was an offensive threat throughout the later part of the game. I watched him all last year in Chicago and he had games like this where he was very good offensively. He really does well down low in the offensive end. That's his strong point. Needs to get better on over all skating, especially in tightening up his pivot and would like it if he stuck his nose into situations more. However, keeps this up and he may be pushing Wiese or Booth for a spot.

Tanev - had quiet but very effective game. Love how this player so quickly turns the play around. His game always shows excellent hockey intelligence and quickness. Still has some problems with puck battles in his end but is getting stronger.

Agreed with all your points as usual, but these 2 especially.

It's exciting to see how Tanev continues to improve, his transition play is awesome. Once he gets stronger and works on his offense. We have a very good defenseman on our hands. I think he is already a top 4 dman on many teams.

Archibald - I knew he was big and had decent hands. But his skating really stood out.
That's a nice combination of size, speed, and hands. The fact that he can hit and forecheck, he can be a bit like Dwight King in LA(Archibald is much faster) where he creates space for his linemates. Definitely a player with some upside.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I suddenly have a thirst for some milk.

Too funny.

Here's an oldie but a goodie, and fitting for this evening imo

o1UNa.gif

Hal 9000*

I can't help but feel awful for Edmonton. Wow, they are truly terrible.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's crazy how much we're getting out of this lineup. I love the idea of Sedins-Kesler in the playoffs, and think it will rid them of their playoff struggles once and for all.

That second line looks great, and I think it could possibly work long term.

I can't wait to see Kassian start to gel with Hansen. I could see a Hodgson-like effect on his goalscoring.

Then we'd have a real lineup going, complete with Booth being an excellent 4th liner.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler
Higgins - Santorelli - Burrows
Hansen - Richardson - Kassian
Booth - Welsh/Schroeder - Weise
Sestito

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev
Alberts - Corrado

Luongo
Lack

It's actually starting to look like depth that could work.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
It's crazy how much we're getting out of this lineup. I love the idea of Sedins-Kesler in the playoffs, and think it will rid them of their playoff struggles once and for all.

I can't wait to see Kassian start to gel with Hansen. I could see a Hodgson-like effect on his goalscoring.

Then we'd have a real lineup going, complete with Booth being an excellent 4th liner.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler
Sestito

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev
Alberts - Corrado

Luongo
Lack

Agreed that second line was clicking well

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Ugh, that made me very angry. **** you, Lupul.

The worst part of it is that you know the NHL won't punish it. Even if it didn't connect you can still see the intent with the elbow. **** the league too.

Lundface*

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler
Sestito

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev
Alberts - Corrado

Luongo
Lack

Looks decent if everyone is healthy. Ideally we get another 2/3rd line center and bump Richardson down. Also switch Tanev with Bieksa, he's better suited to go against other teams best players.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The worst part of it is that you know the NHL won't punish it. Even if it didn't connect you can still see the intent with the elbow. **** the league too.

Lupul was running around like an idiot the entire night. I agree entirely with your post above about the league not doing anything about this. It pisses me off.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Did anyone gif Lupul's pathetic flying elbow that Henrik ducked?

This game isn't really much of a measuring stick, but at least the Canucks blew away a bottom-feeder like they should.

Leafs will find themselves outside the playoffs this season. Garbage team.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Did anyone gif Lupul's pathetic flying elbow that Henrik ducked?

This game isn't really much of a measuring stick, but at least the Canucks blew away a bottom-feeder like they should.

Leafs will find themselves outside the playoffs this season. Garbage team.

thread dedicated to it on the main board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad