Post-Game Talk: Game #16: Canucks spank the 'best' team in Canada. 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What is it with Canucks fans wanting to kick Leafs fans when they're down? What is this utter hatred for the Leafs? I don't get it.

You could ask the same thing on their end.

Yeah they spent the night posting clips from 2011, blaming the refs, and saying Vancouver dove all game

Was good stuff

I also saw the words "inferiority complex" being throw around a lot too :laugh:

Yeah, so ironic. :laugh:

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
What is it with Canucks fans wanting to kick Leafs fans when they're down? What is this utter hatred for the Leafs? I don't get it.

Seriously? They've been ripping our team constantly throughout the game and after it. Yeah, we're diving into the boards. :shakehead They are making up dives attributed to Canucks and then completely ignoring when JVR embellishes/dives big time during the game. It's no wonder that Canucks fans are frustrated with them. :laugh:

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
East coast, least coast

Hey that's not fair, some of my best friends are Maritimers.

Ontario has as much Atlantic coastline as they have class.

In other words: NONE:yo:

Edit they have ocean coastline on Hudsons Bay but that is more Northern than Eastern.

Last edited:

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Lu has more career shutouts than Toronto has wins in the last 2 seasons. :handclap:

Lu seemed pretty pissed off in this game (almost going after the player when his masked got knocked off after a to player pushes a canuck into him).

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Again guys, I was totally unaware at the amount of hate Leafs fans were directing our way. That's why I was confused.

Either way, I still don't hate the Leafs. I guess I just don't let their chirping get to me.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I also cheered for the Lightning that year. Especially after Calgary beat Vancouver in the first round. Was very happy Tampa won. :handclap:

Never agreed or believed in this I have to support other Canadian teams nonsense.

I was pulling for Tampa too. I just couldn't bring myself to cheer for the Flamers. Never could. I was Public Enemy #1 at the bar that summer. :laugh:

And although I never did subscribe to the "Support the Canadian team!" thing, the way pretty much the entire country turned on us and has spent the last two years making riot jokes has eliminated any sympathy for any other fanbase or NHL team, particularly on this site. Just looking through the threads on the Leafs' board or the main board for 5 minutes should be enough for any Canucks fan to kill that silly notion. Day in, day out, we, the Canucks, and city of Vancouver are treated with zero respect, zero class and zero consideration. I'm all for sportsmanship and everything, but whenever some of that stuff comes our way, let me know. As long as being the Canucks or fans of the team justifies being treated with the utmost contempt, the rest of hf or the NHL can kiss my ass.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I haven't been able to find it yet, but does anyone have a clip of the JVR reaction to Higgins' slash?

Edit: nevermind, found it now.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I could go all night...just take a look at their PGT thought's on our team. They're living in the distant memory of 2011 of this team, and not in a good way.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I actually like the Leafs themselves, for the most part. Will probably (maybe) cheer for them out of the East when the playoffs swing around (after Montreal and Ottawa, but still).

But after reading page after page of how the Canucks "throw themselves facefirst into the boards" to draw calls...

...man, it's nice to watch Leafs fans cry and pretend like they don't care. ;)

StringerBell

I used to cheer for other Canadian teams in the playoffs until I started coming to HF. The rabbit done died.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

CBC double-headers didn't exist on Saturdays until 1995.

For basically my entire childhood, I had their garbage team shoved down my throat every Saturday night while my team was ignored. I remember being about 10 years old and super-excited to watch my favourite player (Steve Yzerman) play my favourite team on a Saturday night, and instead being force-fed Toronto-Hartford or something like that instead.

Remember how the media cheer-led for the Leafs against the Canucks in the 1994 playoffs. And again in 2011 when the Leafs weren't even involved.

How Toronto tampered with the Sedins in 2009.

And on and on.

Watching that team lose is almost as good as watching the Canucks win. My ingrained hatred of them will last until I die. Last night was freaking beautiful.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I like their team.

I don't like their fans or the media (which is pro-Toronto).

perfect - been a TO fan for most of 50 years, but there was a hiatus due to Ballard (Wetcoast expressed it well) but the most part I have liked the Canadian teams other than MTL. The TO fans at the Nucks games have not been as bad (kind of a very minor marginal difference but whatever) as the MTL fans. Was a major TO fan from say 66 til about 80. After the Canucks of course. Always hated MTL, though I reluctantly acknowledge they are one of the most impressive teams in sports history.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I used to cheer for other Canadian teams in the playoffs until I started coming to HF. The rabbit done died.

Ottawa and Montreal fans are usually pretty reasonable. They're also used to getting biased coverage from the Toronto media so have a bit of common ground with us. I have no problem cheering for either of those teams.

Calgary and especially Edmonton and Toronto fans are generally nauseating, and have a massive amount of bitterness about our success over the past decade. Calgary I can at least respect on some levels, the others not so much.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Go visit the leafs board and come back and tell me that they don't adamantly hate us.

It's a weird rivalry.

We have a long-held distaste for their team based on how our team is shafted by their media, and some Burke-related tampering stuff between the teams.

Their media and fans seem to have an often near-fanatical hatred/jealousy toward us and everything about our current team, and quite an inferiority complex. The diving narrative being spouted en masse by them after last night's game is one of the more bizarre things I've ever seen.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Ottawa and Montreal fans are usually pretty reasonable. They're also used to getting biased coverage from the Toronto media so have a bit of common ground with us. I have no problem cheering for either of those teams.

Calgary and especially Edmonton and Toronto fans are generally nauseating, and have a massive amount of bitterness about our success over the past decade. Calgary I can at least respect on some levels, the others not so much.

Agreed. Ottawa has been my "backup team" for lack of a better word, since the 90's. We have a lot in common, really.

Montreal gets more and more tolerable as the percentage of their fanbase that didn't live through any dynasty years increases.

That was an awkward sentence, as I stumbled to phrase it as nicely as I can put it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Even Ottawa piled on during the 11 run. I'd wanted them to win during their runs. Until the Canucks win a cup or two I hope they all go cupless too. **** em all.

StringerBell

Yeah we're on the same page here. Count Winnipeg in as a team I can't wait to cheer for when they make the second season.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It's a weird rivalry.

We have a long-held distaste for their team based on how our team is shafted by their media, and some Burke-related tampering stuff between the teams.

Their media and fans seem to have an often near-fanatical hatred/jealousy toward us and everything about our current team, and quite an inferiority complex. The diving narrative being spouted en masse by them after last night's game is one of the more bizarre things I've ever seen.

It was re-enforced during our 2011 run with the smear job the media ran on the Canucks, but it's been around pretty much ever since we've been beating them (the last decade). We always win in the most heartbreaking (to the Leafs) fashion possible too.

Towel-Power

GoCanucksGo
Apr 1, 2007
HomeoftheClassless

The only reason we think Montreal fans are reasonable is because we don't receive their wrath :laugh: Get on their bad side and I'm thinking they are right up there with the worst of them. I still remember the Sundin saga and how much bickering there was between Habs and Canuck fans.

Calgary fans are actually pretty cool. Then again I'm basing that on HF and not Calgarypuck.

Edmonton is the worst.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
Watched the game live, great game!

Just watched the highlights, now I understand why a select few Leafs fan were upset with Kassian.

How many times does Craig Simpleton say "Watch Kassian KICK Bolland"? I counted three from the highlights. :shakehead

He probably shares the same mind-set as Eakins, and thinks Kassian is "disturbing".

Pair this sap with Mark Lee please, sick of Simpson and the CBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad