Post-Game Talk: Game 16: Canucks 2 @ Senators 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
My god our division is horrible.

Reminds me of the Southeast the year the Thrashers made the playoffs by winning their division despite having less points than the 8th seed iirc :laugh:

Or every year of the northwest division that we dominated until the recent realignment.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Team probably played better than Columbus but sunk by special teams play.

PP is giving up far too many chances against off pressure on the points and blocked shots. Some personnel changes have to be considered. Edler has made some terrible flubs and is maybe being overworked. Doubt you could say Weber is contributing.

PK is far too stationary - especially Horvat. When others are out the team does fine but Horvat is hurting the team on the PK. Can't win face offs, getting no pressure on the puck, leaving his side wide open and not getting his stick into passing lanes. Don't like to dump on Horvat but he is not moving around quickly enough on the PK or in other situations

Liked Bartkowski in this game and little better by Hamhuis.

Hutton played well enough although he continues to make those little mistakes that lead to chances. Rush at the end of the second was an example. Can live with that b/c of the many other things Hutton brings and you can see how, in the long run, such attempts at offense will allow him to become a more dangerous player.

Right now the Canucks seem like the Tort's team of a couple of years ago. Being carried by the Sedins (and in trouble when they are not), a couple of defensemen and most of the time elite goal tending. That's a prescription for a big drop off as the season carries on. One important difference is the Canucks are, at least, introducing some young talent into the mix.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This blueline is just so soft....nobody seems to be able to dislodge the puck from forecheckers in their own zone....they're trying, but just too small and mostly too slow...going to he a long year unless Benning can find a way to shore up the d-corps with some size...Weber, Tanev and Hamhuis are just getting rag-dolled in their own zone.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
This blueline is just so soft....nobody seems to be able to dislodge the puck from forecheckers in their own zone....they're trying, but just too small and mostly too slow...going to he a long year unless Benning can find a way to shore up the d-corps with some size...Weber, Tanev and Hamhuis are just getting rag-dolled in their own zone.

The blueline being soft had nothing to do with us losing this game.

Our D transitioned the puck out of our zone just fine this game. It reflects in the amount of Scoring chances/high danger scoring chances we gave up/ created.

We gave them 12 scoring chances only 3 of them being high scoring.

We created 21 scoring chances 5 of them being high danger scoring chances.

So we created more opportunities but we couldn't convert even strength and the Sens converted on theirs.

Special teams and Miller let us down this game.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Our D transitioned the puck out of our zone just fine this game. It reflects in the amount of Scoring chances/high danger scoring chances we gave up/ created.

So we created more opportunities but we couldn't convert even strength and the Sens converted on theirs.

Special teams are absolutely brutalizing us the last 6 games. I don't know what happened but jeez.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Tough loss. Didn't play badly at all but were sunk by poor special teams and goaltending.

PP is a joke. Edler is simply not an NHL-calibre PP player right now. The whole PP seems to run through him and it's nothing but obvious plays and terrible shots, all in slow motion. Just completely static.

- Sedins were OK although obviously not at the level of Columbus. Hansen skated well again.

- Horvat and Baertschi were both decent although that line continues to have coverage issues defensively.

- McCann skated well and had an improved defensive effort although not much offensively. Virtanen had a couple decent moments but was mostly a non-factor.

- thought Higgins skated much better today and looked good. Criticism for missing the net late is unfair - puck was bouncing and behind him and he did well to get a shot away.

- Tanev was better tonight. Edler struggled, not just on the PP. Probably his worst game of the season even though he scored a troll PP goal late.

- Hamhuis was excellent. Don't understand the criticism at all - is dragging an awful-looking Weber around and winning his matchups. Is playing well.

- Bartkowski is having a strong of solid games. Looks like a decent 3rd pairing defender right now. Hutton did some good things but as others have said was maybe pressing too hard.

- Miller was OK until that late goal which was just awful. Another .880 effort. Is just not cutting it right now. Down to .913 on the season after his excellent first 4 games.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

Yea I am sick of the "defense not hitting things hard enough" argument. Actually get a poweplay that can do something, and finish some damn chances, and nobody would be talking about the D. Sadly I just don't think this team is very good.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
- Hamhuis was excellent. Don't understand the criticism at all - is dragging an awful-looking Weber around and winning his matchups. Is playing well.

- Hutton did some good things but as others have said was maybe pressing too hard.

Hamhuis has looked better than this, even while playing with Weber. I don't think it is all on YW. Hamhuis himself can be better, more assertive.

Interesting thing about Hutton is that he created a tonne tonight (stats). He 'looks' to be pressing to hard, but it actually resulted in a very effective game.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Special teams are absolutely brutalizing us the last 6 games. I don't know what happened but jeez.

Last season the we had 2 of the top 10 PKing forwards in the league, Richardson and Hansen.

I said it when we let Richardson walk that Horvat will have trouble filling in for Richardson. Then we got Sutter but that just created a new hole because we got rid of Bonino who was a pretty good PKer. So we basically got rid of our top 2 PKing centers and replaced them worse centers on the PK. No offense to Bo but he can't come in and replace Boninos or Richardson minutes on the PK or effectiveness. Sutter is able to replace Bonino's effectiveness on the PK but still. Losing Richardson REALLY hurt.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yea I am sick of the "defense not hitting things hard enough" argument. Actually get a poweplay that can do something, and finish some damn chances, and nobody would be talking about the D. Sadly I just don't think this team is very good.
I'm also sick of the“Sedins need to hit more and harder" argument, like wtf...hitting doesn't get you goals.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I've always said his strength is his PK.. he's really, really good at it. He turns into Doughty in terms of his ability to get in front of passing lanes, block shots, and correctly position himself.

He just does so much dumb **** at even strength that I don't understand.

Miller????? Bowie Horvat???? He had four good games and now he's bad again????

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I've always said his strength is his PK.. he's really, really good at it. He turns into Doughty in terms of his ability to get in front of passing lanes, block shots, and correctly position himself.

He just does so much dumb **** at even strength that I don't understand.

Miller????? Bowie Horvat???? He had four good games and now he's bad again????

we just somehow have to convince Sbisa that everytime he's on the ice it's a PK or EN situation and he suddenly becomes good.

Someone get the brainwashing kit.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Might be stretching here, but it could be a coaching issue. Maybe this is why he's looked good with Hutton. He needs to be the guy who sits back and collapses as if he was on the PK. It's why he gets exposed every time that there's pressure on his side of the ice, because he needs to go out and press, and he has no idea how to do that for some reason. Even when he has the puck on the boards, he can't get it out consistently. He's a big dude but he's just awful. WOAT scrums/60

Just as a crease clearing guy, let him stagnate.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Might be stretching here, but it could be a coaching issue. Maybe this is why he's looked good with Hutton. He needs to be the guy who sits back and collapses as if he was on the PK. It's why he gets exposed every time that there's pressure on his side of the ice, because he needs to go out and press, and he has no idea how to do that for some reason. Even when he has the puck on the boards, he can't get it out consistently. He's a big dude but he's just awful. WOAT scrums/60

I'm getting your point and I'm pretty sure I can agree with you.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
arWR2fG.png

kRUxw23.png

PAEeaUf.png

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Man that Wideman goal was a back breaker.

6 million dollars of suck right there

Good to see Horvat have a good game, Baertschi too. Weber looked better.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Also on the PK you don't have to worry about getting it out cleanly to the forwards but rather just have to spot an open lane then fire it up the ice and you've done your job. Even if you don't see an open lane chipping it hard off the glass is usually safe.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Team strongly needs to consider trading Edler- this guys natural decline is not going to be pretty.

Never thought id say this but the team misses Sbisa, or at least a physical Dman. Opposing teams don't pay a price coming into our zone or in front of the net.

I wonder how much team loyalty matters for him. I wouldn't mind see Edler win the cup.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
PK is far too stationary - especially Horvat. When others are out the team does fine but Horvat is hurting the team on the PK. Can't win face offs, getting no pressure on the puck, leaving his side wide open and not getting his stick into passing lanes. Don't like to dump on Horvat but he is not moving around quickly enough on the PK or in other situations.
This was BoHo's whole season worst game in def zone PK face offs (0-5). He is still learning PK and he has growing pains in PK and those face offs too. As a whole, he has only 23.3% (7-30) face offs % in def zone PK, when players like Bonino, Sutter, Kesler or Richardson have all 50%.

Those are hard situations and rarely his age players play so much PK than he is playing right now. But he is a very talented in those situations and i'm sure that he is coming a great PK player to Canucks. Right now we need only patience.

Edit: Sorry, my mistake, i count them again... Bonino (16-31), Sutter (12-24), Kesler (21-42) and Richardson (7-14) have all 50% face offs % def zone PK. Horvat (7-30) still has only 23.3%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad