GDT: Game 15 | Detroit Red Wings @ Minnesota Wild | 6:00 PM EST | FS-D

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Normally they would and I don't think Mrazek is blameless on the play but I think our veteran #1 defenceman should know better than to continually screen his own goalie.

This isn't just something he's done in this game, he does it every night.

I wish that Kronwall or the coaching staff could figure why he's doing it, and correct the problem.

Not sure if he's being both indecisive and tentative in the d-zone, not knowing whether to cover a man or attack the puck so he does neither and gets caught standing in front of the goalie. A LOT. Or maybe he's really that clueless about what he should be doing out there, and we're only finding that out this year with no Stuart around to cover for him.

RedWingsNow*

We've been over this. If you're on the top pairing, yes you get the benefit of more goals, but you're ALSO against harder units. Plus/minus has all kinds of flaws like this. Lashoff is getting opened up by other teams top players because he's being paired with Kronwall.

Despite playing with Zetterberg, Zetterberg is only a +1 right now. Brunner is a -2. So there we go.

It's not indicative that Kindl is actually doing any better. And that's not to say Kindl isn't better, because holy hell I like Kindl better, but it has nothing to do with the stats you just presented.

You keep talking and you keep getting it wrong.

So it's Kronwall's fault that Lashoff looks like an AHL scrub.

Kindl is a puck possession player. He'd look a hell of a lot better with Datsyuk and Zetterberg than he would with Miller and Abdelkader.

Lashoff is a grunt. He's the kind of defenseman who should play 12-14 minutes, if at all (huskins like minutes)

That stats are what they are.
Somehow, Kindl is a plus player despite playing most of the time with guys who can't score.

And Lashoff is a minus player despite playing with guys regularly talked about as great defensive forwards.

I mean, if you guys want to make the case that Lashoff should be playing 18 minutes a night ... make it.

I'm all ears.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, Mrazek should have covered the lower part of the net better. But he's a rookie and still learning.

The bigger problem is Kronwall consistently making rookie mistakes like screening our goalies and turning the puck over at terrible times... and he's far from a rookie. I'd like to think that he should know better.

One can call him out other times, but I'm not calling out Kronwall on this one. Period. It was a fluke ass shot from in tight and in that scenario the goalie needs to cover the low part of the net.

If you want to hang Kronwall for screening the goalie, that's fine, but this isn't the play to do it on. I explicitly said in my original response that my defense of Kronwall here is not an endorsement of his play, so I feel I was crystal clear on that matter.

I think there's a shred of confirmation bias at work here, but who knows, maybe Kronwall is fatter than I think in front of the net.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You keep talking and you keep getting it wrong.

So it's Kronwall's fault that Lashoff looks like an AHL scrub.

Kindl is a puck possession player. He'd look a hell of a lot better with Datsyuk and Zetterberg than he would with Miller and Abdelkader.

Lashoff is a grunt. He's the kind of defenseman who should play 12-14 minutes, if at all (huskins like minutes)

That stats are what they are.
Somehow, Kindl is a plus player despite playing most of the time with guys who can't score.

And Lashoff is a minus player despite playing with guys regularly talked about as great defensive forwards.

I mean, if you guys want to make the case that Lashoff should be playing 18 minutes a night ... make it.

I'm all ears.

What the ****, Bob?

I said I liked Kindl better and you're telling me to parade Lashoff about?

What I'm saying is that you're right, but the stats you used (plus/minus) aren't the reason why. Plus minus is terrible without tons of context.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wish that Kronwall or the coaching staff could figure why he's doing it, and correct the problem.

Not sure if he's being both indecisive and tentative in the d-zone, not knowing whether to cover a man or attack the puck so he does neither and gets caught standing in front of the goalie. A LOT. Or maybe he's really that clueless about what he should be doing out there, and we're only finding that out this year with no Stuart around to cover for him.

Well, if memory serves, back in the late '90s Ed Belfour used to have BIG ISSUES with his defense trying to block shots. That Dallas team was loaded with big, tough, shot blocking players that would willingly sacrifice the body. But once Eddie arrived he had them getting the hell out of the way so he could make the play. There was some adjustment, that's for sure, particularly since Hitchcock had been preaching BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK.

Maybe Howard and company need to be vocal about it even if they aren't rockstar Eddie the Eagle.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot.
The only people who had the brains to SHOOT the puck were the ones who shouldn't like Sammy. Way to go Sammy at least you had the brains to try put it on net. I AM TIRED OF THIS TEAM NOT SHOOTING!!!!!

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Well, if memory serves, back in the late '90s Ed Belfour used to have BIG ISSUES with his defense trying to block shots. That Dallas team was loaded with big, tough, shot blocking players that would willingly sacrifice the body. But once Eddie arrived he had them getting the hell out of the way so he could make the play. There was some adjustment, that's for sure, particularly since Hitchcock had been preaching BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK.

Maybe Howard and company need to be vocal about it even if they aren't rockstar Eddie the Eagle.

It's one thing to lay down in front of a shot out high but to just stand a couple feet away from your goalie.....

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
You cannot win a game in 1 period, but you can lose a game in 1 period. The Wings have been the example of this lately.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's one thing to lay down in front of a shot out high but to just stand a couple feet away from your goalie.....

I'm not sure what you're driving at, since the point of that story was maybe the D and the goalies need to get on the same page. That means not standing a couple feet away from your goalie.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

The Wings are definitely not the Rangers when it comes to blocking shots, so there could be something there with a disconnect between the D and the goalies.

But 55 is the only guy who seems to consistently pull off the amazing Homer-approved goalie screen, unfortunately on his own goalie. Seems like it's more of a **** or get off the pot situation for Kronwall- either try to block the shot or get the hell out of the way, but quit doing neither and just standing in front of the goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad