GDT: Game 15 | Detroit Red Wings @ Minnesota Wild | 6:00 PM EST | FS-D

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
lol. thats the oil and pens way of doing things. we are better than to need 5-6 top 10 picks to be competitive.

We never have to be that bad for that long.

Look at New Jersey: had a disaster season, drafted 4th overall, went to the Finals. Not bad.

We need to face the fact that this team, even when healthy, is first-round fodder.

There are worse things than sucking in a short season and putting an Adam Larsson in the pipeline.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I know that people are upset, due to the Wings inconsistent play, but isn't it to be expected? We all knew the roster was going to be old and full of pluggers, save for Z and Dats, and that the defense, minus Lidstrom, was going to be a step backwards.

Only thing I can fault Babcock with, are his line pairings, and love of Cleary, but he's only working with the hand that Holland has dealt him. Special teams aren't good, especially the PP, but look at what's on the roster, bletch. Injuries aren't helping matters either.

The only surprising player, has been Brunner. Part of me, just wants this season to be a rebuilding one, and see if they can get a decent 1st rounder for a change (and not trade them away).

Another thing I thought of this morning, with all the money Ilitch has been pumping into the Tigers, perhaps there isn't as much to put into the Wings?

The NHL salary cap is literally nothing to Ilitch. He could spend all the way to the cap without thinking twice. He would have if we could have signed Suter and Parise. They are not going to spend money just to say they are spending all the way to the cap.

We've seen some good things from a few of the younger players which is what interests me the most right now. Emmerton is a solid 4th line center, Tatar is establishing himself, Brunner is everything we could have asked for, etc.

I can accept losing, the thing that bugs me is how bad Kronwall was been. I think Jimmy can be more consistent. And I want to see the prospects get a shot to show us what they've got. It would be cool if Sheahan could get a call up and see how he does at the NHL level.

I'm on record as saying I'm fine if this is a rebuilding year. With a shortened season this is probably the year to gun for a high draft pick, particularly when you factor in that it's supposed to be a very deep draft. Get your young guys NHL experience, trade any assets that aren't part of the long term picture for 2013 draft picks and then hit the ground running this summer.

Blockbuster trades are out of the picture. Free agent signings are difficult at best. That only leaves you prospects and drafting as ways to rebuild your hockey club. Pretty simple, really.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That was Lashoff who broke that play up right there. All Kronwall knows how to do is screen his own goalie. :help:

Watch again it was Brunner who effed up, last touched the puck and looked to have helped clear it right to Heatley.

You cannot win a game in 1 period, but you can lose a game in 1 period. The Wings have been the example of this lately.

That is a very smart saying.

I am a big Kindl supporter but he did look terrible on at least 1 goal against Anaheim. It is weird for Babs to play head games and sit him, but he's getting shown the toughest love. That can be good. Kindl is being pressured to be extraordinary or nothing at all. I think he'll pass through the fire, if even for another NHL team.

The death blows this season is of course the PP. We had a 4 minute chance and another near the end to tie up the game....shocking how bad it's failing.

The goal against that revved me up was the missed check from Filppula. Exact play along the boards that Brunner allowed on Oshie 2 games before. All he had to do was put a little of the body on his man, so frustrating. Ericsson being deep was a normal hockey play that we should be able to cover. Kronwall was too passive as well, but a 2 on 1 is a golden opportunity.

Crazy stuff. We started beautifully. Our D looked composed, heads up plays. A 2 goal lead blown and game over in a little over 4 minutes! I agree the +'s were Tatar showing his hunger and Datsyuk appearing only slightly injured.

As I said last game Zetter is hurt! Man one shift he was laboring back to the bench... :( Fil is hurting too. Compared to his speed and tenacity the 1st handfull of games he doesn't look like himself. We've lost 3 in a row(?) and although entertained I worry about how well this team can finish in April.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I know that people are upset, due to the Wings inconsistent play, but isn't to be expected? We all knew the roster was going to be old and full of pluggers, save for Z and Dats, and that the defense, minus Lidstrom, was going to be a step backwards.

Only thing I can fault Babcock with, are his line pairings, and love of Cleary, but he's only working with the hand that Holland has dealt him. Special teams aren't good, especially the PP, but look at what's on the roster, bletch. Injuries aren't helping matters either.

The only surprising player, has been Brunner.

It's not surprising, but it's still disappointing.

What sucks is that my mood is based on how the Wings are doing. I am very emotionally attached to the Wings. The past 20 years have been pretty good. Unfortunately i am going to be a very grouchy person for the next few years. My friends can barely tolerate me when i'm happy.

There are some bright spots. Tatar looks like a legit NHL'er. It begs the question, how much better would he look if he got a chance to play in the NHL 1-2 years ago?

Brunner is flourishing. He loves to shoot the puck which is something the Wings seem to never have. Holland should lock him up for 2-3 years for 2 million a year. It might end up being a huge steal and if not, it's the same amount of money Cleary is currently making.

Z looks like he has elevated his play to that of a captain of the Detroit Red Wings.

Kronwall looks miserable. I really feel for the guy. He is giving everything he has, but he is cracking under the pressure. He is making Horrible mistakes that should never be made by veteran players.

I panned Holland's "defense by committee" approach because i didnt feel the Wings had a good enough defense to actually do that. He is right though, it is the best strategy for the Wings blue line. Lidstrom was a blessing and now we must enter the real world where Lidstrom isn't back there making everyone look amazing. Holland and Babcock need to find a way to reduce Kronwall's role. Currently, the Wings arent really doing the whole defense by committee. Kronwall is being played like a true #1 and it is a big mistake.

This season needs to be used as an evaluation period for players like Nyquist and other prospects.

The "silver lining" of the massive amount of injures the Wings have been experiencing has allowed more prospects to be played in the past two months than the past three years combined. (completely made that up, but you have to admit it's a lot more than usual.)

Babcock is a great coach, but the way he treats certain players is bizarre. He treats Cleary like Wayne Gretzky and Kindl like he just found out he slept with his wife, got her pregnant and found out he was secretly raising Kindl's child all these years.

His coddling of certain veteran players and completely ****ing on prospects/younger players needs to stop. I understand why he does it since the veterans are the guys who make sure the younger players fall in line and buy in, but there comes a point where this strategy is hurting the team more than it's helping. Moving Cleary off the PP was a step in the right direction. Kinda OT, but you have to wonder how much Babcock hates Franzen. He is a veteran who also happens to be a core player. He is the only veteran who ever gets benched for his awful play.

Another coaching issue is the PP, but it's also personnel. The Wings are still implementing the same old PP when we had Lidstrom and Rafi. Unfortunately, that system looks like crap when you have Kronwall and White running the point. I really like the Hawks PP strategy. A lot of east/west passing. PP needs more creativity and Datsyuk/Z should be the focal point.

I really liked it when he called out Flip. Players like Flip are very important pieces to this team with Lidstorm and the defense being brutal. He needs to step up.

Jimmy Howard is proving the nay sayers right. He is a good, but not great goalie. He should get a similar contract to Ondrej, Pavelec.

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...Brunner is flourishing. He loves to shoot the puck which is something the Wings seem to never have. Holland should lock him up for 2-3 years for 2 million a year. It might end up being a huge steal and if not, it's the same amount of money Cleary is currently making.

Z looks like he has elevated his play to that of a captain of the Detroit Red Wings...

Good post. I just wanted to comment on Brunner. He's leading with Datsyuk in goals but he makes some very stupid choices as well. Especially on the power play. I realize he's an undrafted rookie but I can't simply give him a free pass. I hope he's watching tape and works on fixing his glaring mistakes. 3 goals recently I put directly on him. We're not in the Swiss league anymore, tighten up bro! He tries to be too cute. It's one thing to be able to take a check but like Datsyuk should learn to use his body to screen/interfere and win battles that way. May be being thrown on the 1st/2nd line immediately is asking too much of the guy. But, what can we do he's our best hope as of now.

Zetterburg is a great captain but has been ineffective (comparatively) these last games. Honestly he should sit and rest his back if he's only 75%.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Good post. I just wanted to comment on Brunner. He's leading with Datsyuk in goals but he makes some very stupid choices as well. Especially on the power play. I realize he's an undrafted rookie but I can't simply give him a free pass. I hope he's watching tape and works on fixing his glaring mistakes. 3 goals recently I put directly on him. We're not in the Swiss league anymore, tighten up bro! He tries to be too cute. It's one thing to be able to take a check but like Datsyuk should learn to use his body to screen/interfere and win battles that way. May be being thrown on the 1st/2nd line immediately is asking too much of the guy. But, what can we do he's our best hope as of now.

Zetterburg is a great captain but has been ineffective (comparatively) these last games. Honestly he should sit and rest his back if he's only 75%.

Yeah, his defense and board play suck. He has also made some terribly lazy passes that resulted in some bad turnovers, but the defensive aspect of his game wont appear over night. He is 26 so i dont know what his ceiling really is. He should definitely get better, but how much better is the question.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
An interesting shift for me. To workout in the first formacii with Paul (13) and Sammy (37). On the power play with Paul (13) and Zeem (40). I believe that tomorrow will be a great fun:) zapas.
Tatar on Facebook
it looks like Tatar is gonna be on the 1st power play unit and on Datsyuk and Samuelsson line

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Tatar on Facebook
it looks like Tatar is gonna be on the 1st power play unit and on Datsyuk and Samuelsson line
Someone posted a twitter post from Khan that said Tatar was playing on a line with Fil and Samuelsson. I don't care so long as he gets a shot on a scoring line, his skill has been very noticeable since he's been called up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad