GDT: Game 15: Columbus vs. New York Rangers | 11/7 7PM EST

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
So where exactly are these toxic locker room comments coming from? The guys are just frustrated, as they should be. If it was somehow "toxic", that would be quite the surprise to me.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
So where exactly are these toxic locker room comments coming from? The guys are just frustrated, as they should be. If it was somehow "toxic", that would be quite the surprise to me.

I would guess most of the interpretations are coming from the video review of post game interviews in the lockerroom... One must judge for themself.. did you watch the Dubinsky, Umberger and Johnson interviews on the Fox post game?

deetman

Oct 31, 2009
Philadelphia

I can't watch the post game here where I live but reading between the lines, it appears that Dubi and JJ have very different leadership styles. One is very obviously emotional, fired up, and frustrated, the other is much more collected, maybe to the point of being seen as "not caring". Assuming you have guys on the team that gravitate to one or the other, with neither being the defined "captain", boom, instant split locker room. Throw in Richard's comments and it only seems to add fuel to the fire. Of course, this is just extremely wild speculation, but we shouldn't be THIS bad and there really is no reason to not have a defined captain.

Maybe toxic isn't the right word...

deetman

Oct 31, 2009
Philadelphia
I still say no on both. Their age and lack of speed would have been a detriment. Now from a leadership standpoint, I'm open to suggestion.

That is why I said "I understand why" and I'm not arguing that point (speed, age, etc). I'm speaking purely from a leadership perspective.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
All I can say is it shouldn't take an NHL coach, as Richards is, a 5 game losing streak to realize he might have to start lighting a fire under the guys. "I guess the gloves have to come off". Yeah, well why didn't you say this before now, before we were in the basement. It shouldn't have taken you this long to realize it wasn't going to come from within.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I can't watch the post game here where I live but reading between the lines, it appears that Dubi and JJ have very different leadership styles. One is very obviously emotional, fired up, and frustrated, the other is much more collected, maybe to the point of being seen as "not caring". Assuming you have guys on the team the gravitate to one or the other, with neither being the defined "captain", boom, instant split locker room. Throw in Richard's comments and it only seems to add fuel to the fire. Of course, this is just extremely wild speculation, but we shouldn't be THIS bad and there really is no reason to not have a defined captain.

Duby did say it was a lack of effort.... Johnson said it was not a lack of effort.. ?? (if I interpreted it correct).

I'm not sure what's going on in the room but I'm inclined to think there might be some finger pointing going on. Is that toxic??? Who knows, but this I can say within .05 percent probability, some in the room and on the coaching staff are not on the same page.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
All I can say is it shouldn't take an NHL coach, as Richards is, a 5 game losing streak to realize he might have to start lighting a fire under the guys. "I guess the gloves have to come off". Yeah, well why didn't you say this before now, before we were in the basement. It shouldn't have taken you this long to realize it wasn't going to come from within.

A coach is limited in the number of times that he can blow up in a season. Someone who's perceived as being wound too tightly tends to lose his locker room pretty quickly, which is why guys like Mike Keenan have never had any real staying power.

Look at Scott Arniel as a great example of what happens when you hound players too much. Someone becomes the internal whipping boy, the locker room divides, and the coach is out the door quickly.

This goes for any sport, any level.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I hate to say it because I firmly believe what is done is done and I understand why it was done, but...

Vinny Prospal and Adrian Aucoin

I'm beginning to come around on this line of thinking. When you look at it, Jarmo has actually made some pretty glaring rookie errors so far.

213 Sentinel

Jul 2, 2006
Marysville, Ohio
Came back as an STH because I'd thought things had changed. Beginning to think I just fell victim to the Hope virus yet again. Only thing left is to see what this management team will do vs the old. That will be the most telling part.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Where has Tyuts been hiding that move?

Nice move, great setup by Dubi, however, the shot was headed straight for the chest protector until their player redirected it with his glove. Defense was brutal, except Murray, he's our best defenseman on both ends. The difference between last year and this year is that we win that game 2-1 or 2-0 last year, this year we have too many lapses on defense. Bob was outstanding tonight, didn't have a prayer on any of those goals. Tyutin got beat on the first, Johnson let his man stand in front on the second and Letestu, well, we all saw it....I wish everyone on the team was as mad as Dubi, maybe that's the problem. Johnson is aw shucks after another loss and Dubi wants to rip someones head off. Our defense is bad and our offense isn't battling enough. When you're 7 million dollar man has 6 total shots in the last 5 games and no goals, you're going to lose more often than not.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
I can't watch the post game here where I live but reading between the lines, it appears that Dubi and JJ have very different leadership styles. One is very obviously emotional, fired up, and frustrated, the other is much more collected, maybe to the point of being seen as "not caring". Assuming you have guys on the team that gravitate to one or the other, with neither being the defined "captain", boom, instant split locker room. Throw in Richard's comments and it only seems to add fuel to the fire. Of course, this is just extremely wild speculation, but we shouldn't be THIS bad and there really is no reason to not have a defined captain.

Maybe toxic isn't the right word...

Yeah, it was a mistake not naming a captain. Players would have more defined roles and their would be a pecking order within the teams leadership group. Now your getting mixed opinions with whats wrong like Dubi saying not enough effort and Johnson saying the effort is there.

I tend to agree with Dubinsky... This was a team that really outworked their opponents last year. I don't see that kind of effort in a lot of their games so far this year.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Every hockey commentator and scribe says "your best players have to be your best players." Our best players are not our best players so far. Simple as that. The time for them to step up, lead and deliver is well overdue.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Why is Comeau getting so much ice time? He was a scratch every night for a bad Calgary team last year and now he's a top forward on this squad?

At least he battles in the corners, hits and tries to generate something. Too bad Umberger, Gaborik, Atkinson, Tyutin, Johnson, Wiz, Letestu, Nikitin, Savard don't play with that effort

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I just don't know what planet he's living on sometimes when he takes up these nonsensical crusades.

Brassard was garbage and a prima donna, Moore wasn't here long enough to matter, but Dorsett was the heart of this team many nights, never didn't show up and left blood on the ice, I hope he at least got a cheer in the beginning. I would take him over many of our players now.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He has looked pretty good this game.

I agree, With the exception of the Pitt goal, I think Comeau has brought effort every game, he's hit, faught and threw in a goal. When you are losing, you go with the guys giving their all and I think he's at least leaving it all on the ice. Many other guys can't say the same.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Brassard was garbage and a prima donna, Moore wasn't here long enough to matter, but Dorsett was the heart of this team many nights, never didn't show up and left blood on the ice, I hope he at least got a cheer in the beginning. I would take him over many of our players now.

I guess I won't get my hopes up for a stirring Grant Clitsome tribute when the Jets come to town. :sarcasm:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Dubinsky, Comeau, MacKenzie and Murray are the only ones that have been consistently reliable this season thus far.
Gaborik is being who he always was - gotta feed him the puck and have him make pretty plays. He's not a banger.

J4L, if you want to know who are best players are SUPPOSED to be, just look at the top of the salary chart. That's where you'll find our biggest under performers.

And for the record, I'm not one bit worried about Bobrovsky. He was quite good tonight. He's got a good goalie coach, a level head and a strong work ethic. He'll be fine.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Duby did say it was a lack of effort.... Johnson said it was not a lack of effort.. ?? (if I interpreted it correct).

I'm not sure what's going on in the room but I'm inclined to think there might be some finger pointing going on. Is that toxic??? Who knows, but this I can say within .05 percent probability, some in the room and on the coaching staff are not on the same page.

I have a feeling Dubi is frustrated with the lack of effort from the D and Johnson is being defensive of that, but Dubi is right in the sense that our D is hanging Bob out to dry.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Dubinsky, Comeau, MacKenzie and Murray are the only ones that have been consistently reliable this season thus far.

Couldn't agree more. Never thought Murray would instantly become our best defenseman, but here we stand.

No one can convince me that Erixon shouldn't have made this team, not after tonight. Between Johnson, Wisniewski, and Tyutin, i need 4 ibuprofen and a tall glass of water.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And for the record, I'm not one bit worried about Bobrovsky. He was quite good tonight. He's got a good goalie coach, a level head and a strong work ethic. He'll be fine.

This game should gave been 10-2 if it wasn't for him. I'm still blown away by the lack of energy and effort by the team in front of him tonight. He also might do better if he wasn't taking shots from his own team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad