GDT: Game 15: Columbus vs. New York Rangers | 11/7 7PM EST

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 11m
#CBJ coach Todd Richards indicated that if Calvert and Jenner were healthy, some "big names" would likely be taking seat in press box

so we're calling up Audy-Marchessault to sit in the press box? :sarcasm:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Point taken. But ultimately what the front office is able to do is tied to fans and the revenue stream created by a full building. I would think that Davidson and GMJK are starting to feel the pressure a little bit. If they don't do anything and everything sorts it's self out and they start winning, they'll look like geniuses. However if things get worse and we're talking about the #1 draft pick by Christmas, it's going to be discussions about the same old Jackets.

I don't think they are feeling anything different than any other GM or President on a losing team. Improve the product, improve the revenue. Still don't make knee-jerk reactions because of the fans. You just end up with garbage decisions. It certainly doesn't change how I feel about the fan base. They didn't show up in the numbers they should have. All fans would like a good product; but we didn't stand out as "deserving". Ownership is doing what they can to put on a winner, the fan base didn't respond. We can make excuses, but that's all they will be.

I think JK and JD were put into an interesting position going into the off season. A different result at the end of last season might have changed how they approached this season.

Either way, I think we made a couple of tactical mistakes during the off season. I've talked about them in other posts.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The main points I got out of the Dubi and JJ post game comments were the following (feel free to agree or disagree):

Dubi - very emotional and pissed off, near rant about "effort"

JJ - more emotionally detached, "effort not the problem, but we need to be smarter"

Honestly, for some guys it is probably one or the other of these comments. As a group, I think, they are working pretty hard. But, man, have there been some VERY stupid plays.

You need both effort and smart play. Collectively, they haven't been close to doing that. First goal last night was on Tyutin. The Rangers' third goal was horrible play by both the defenseman and Letestu. Guys out of position, bad passing.

The "Carter year" I was hopeful, then devastated when October progressed. This year, I'm just resigned.

One of the best posts I've read in a while. Thanks,

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
#CBJ coach Todd Richards indicated that if Calvert and Jenner were healthy, some "big names" would likely be taking seat in press box

Meh, the joke just fell flat. 9/10 on effort.

Interesting comment from Richards though. Glad to see he's getting angry.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

Can't be. Didn't he drop the hyphen?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Meh, the joke just fell flat. 9/10 on effort.

Interesting comment from Richards though. Glad to see he's getting angry.

eh...had to try it...i'll only believe this statement when one of the three i aforementioned are enjoying the view from above 217

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Potential sophopmoric jokes aside...

I wonder about this. I try to balance "reading into" things with taking statements at face value (not always that well, but nonetheless). So it does seem entirely possible that JJ felt he was on track for the captaincy and that part of what's holding up the assigning of a 'C' is the concern over how to handle multiple candidates and how the "loser," and any players on his "side," might react.

Johnson started out playing this year like he wanted to be the leader. But his "effort" plays often had bad results - thinking back to early in the season, he had I think a couple bad penalties very late in games over the first 3-5 games. When things didn't work out like he'd hoped (extrapolating here), maybe that's what has caused his consistently sub-par play. (I'm ignoring here the concept of the "JJ that people told us we were getting" - he's a young guy and while it might be instructive to note, I don't know as his past is all that relevant any more).

Interesting, anyway.

Don't fall off your chair, but I agree with you! haha. What I think was telling is that most of the time, when the media sees an opportunity to create controversy, and that's what Dave saw, the player deflects and Johnson should have said he agreed in part with Dubi, even if he didn't, and added his take, but he flat out shot it down, and that's telling and usually isn't put out there in the media. Johnson isn't the emotional player Dubi is and that probably makes Dubi mad and they have probably had some words in the room or practice. I was more the Dubi type player and I would get mad if anyone wasn't as mad as me after losses. And Johnson probably feels he was the turning point when he came here, when he "wanted" to come here and things took off last year and felt it was his room. Now Dubi has taken the leadership roll and Johnson feels slighted and it shows in his play. I remember someone asking Johnson a few weeks or so ago about naming the captain and he seemed really annoyed about it and said they need to name one and get it over with. I think there could be a rift but they are both good guys and will work it out...hopefully!

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
eh...had to try it...i'll only believe this statement when one of the three i aforementioned are enjoying the view from above 217

Which three were those? Were you pimping 7, 21, 18? Because bringing forwards back isn't going bench either of the first 2.

There are other players I would bench before 18. Probably the highest profile player would be #42. I might even bench #10 before #18. I'm risking massive ridicule, but I haven't had much of an issue with 18 for a while now.

I don't think you have to bench people to show you are serious. If he has an issue with high profile player during the game, shorten the bench. He really hasn't done that. So spouting off about benching is kind of idiotic really.

I'm happy he's getting pissed. Having said that, I don't think he's done a terribly effective job of managing this slide to this point anyway. If our beat writer was doing his job he would be asking good questions.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Presuming Richards means business, it would not at all surprise me if 42, 10, and 13 were the guys he's talking about. Maybe he shows 13 some leniency since he's still young, but he hasn't been any more noticeable than the other two.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Which three were those? Were you pimping 7, 21, 18? Because bringing forwards back isn't going bench either of the first 2.

There are other players I would bench before 18. Probably the highest profile player would be #42. I might even bench #10 before #18. I'm risking massive ridicule, but I haven't had much of an issue with 18 for a while now.

I don't think you have to bench people to show you are serious. If he has an issue with high profile player during the game, shorten the bench. He really hasn't done that. So spouting off about benching is kind of idiotic really.

I'm happy he's getting pissed. Having said that, I don't think he's done a terribly effective job of managing this slide to this point anyway. If our beat writer was doing his job he would be asking good questions.

i don't have many issues with this...18 has at least played with some heart...but just not enough there for me personally...i expect him to compete harder, i still saw him floating a lot last night as well as the tripping over the blue line and coughing up the puck a couple of times...skating 1 on 3 at least twice...things like that, lots of mental gaafs that he shouldn't have

sitting one of 7 or 21 can happen...just play prout/savard/nikitin...just one night...see what happens...they don't both have to sit and i'm not advocating doing it all on the same night...

42 and 10...sure they are on the extended list...i know what i am getting from Gaborik...my only real problem with him, he's a goal scorer not shooting the puck... ( know, a pretty big issue) but i never thought he'd come here and all the sudden back check and skate hard, its never really been his game...

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Presuming Richards means business, it would not at all surprise me if 42, 10, and 13 were the guys he's talking about. Maybe he shows 13 some leniency since he's still young, but he hasn't been any more noticeable than the other two.

i have zero issues with 13...he is at least shooting, the puck just isn't going in for him...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Don't fall off your chair, but I agree with you! haha. What I think was telling is that most of the time, when the media sees an opportunity to create controversy, and that's what Dave saw, the player deflects and Johnson should have said he agreed in part with Dubi, even if he didn't, and added his take, but he flat out shot it down, and that's telling and usually isn't put out there in the media. Johnson isn't the emotional player Dubi is and that probably makes Dubi mad and they have probably had some words in the room or practice. I was more the Dubi type player and I would get mad if anyone wasn't as mad as me after losses. And Johnson probably feels he was the turning point when he came here, when he "wanted" to come here and things took off last year and felt it was his room. Now Dubi has taken the leadership roll and Johnson feels slighted and it shows in his play. I remember someone asking Johnson a few weeks or so ago about naming the captain and he seemed really annoyed about it and said they need to name one and get it over with. I think there could be a rift but they are both good guys and will work it out...hopefully!

Well, as long as you agree with me.;)

I've had a chance to listen to the JJ audio that was linked and, unless there's other audio, I don't see quite what the fuss was about - although, I haven't compared note with what Richards and Dubinsky had to say.

But I still think it's a potential issue. JJ seems like a stand-up guy and we all love his attitude since arriving abotu wanting to be here and loved (for the most part) his play and how he was maturing. But who knows, maybe he's the kind of guy to take offense or maybe he figures he was here first and that kind of thing. It's defintely a possibility.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I touched on 13 in another post. If I were to bench him it would be for his sake; not as punishment.

The guy looks lost out there. He's not getting any support from his line mates.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I don't think 13 requires anymore leniency...he's not a kid anymore. I agree with those 3 you mentioned as requiring some "attention" from the staff.

We played a good game, we just didn't get the breaks you need to win a close fought game...the Rangers did, ala Letestu's gaf in front of our own net.

We need to start playing great games, so we don't have to rely on catching breaks to win games.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't think 13 requires anymore leniency...he's not a kid anymore.

So less that a full season of experience exempts you from "being a kid" just because he's 24?

I'll be honest Nordique, he has a long way to go on the developmental side and patience is still required.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
So less that a full season of experience exempts you from "being a kid" just because he's 24?

I'll be honest Nordique, he has a long way to go on the developmental side and patience is still required.

Ok, so I forget last season wasn't an actual full season. That line needs production, or maybe the solution is to break it up?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Ok, so I forget last season wasn't an actual full season. That line needs production, or maybe the solution is to break it up?

IMHO he needs to be on a line with Johansen or MacKenzie at this point. I would be highly entertained by a Calvert/Jenner/Atkinson line when we get those guys back. High risk pace setters. If you don't want it to be totally suicidal, put MacKenzie between them and play them 11 minutes a night ES.

You take the pressure off Calvert and Atkinson and let them play their game.

As I said earlier, you probably want to put Johansen up with Gaborik at this point. Johansen seems to be handling the pressure and the struggles better than Atkinson. Looks like he can take limited scoring chances better and he's not intimidated. He seems to be making better decisions in all three zones; although he can get a little squirrelly in the defensive zone from time to time.

Just move Murray up with JJ and start playing him 20+ minutes a night. I've never had as much confidence in one of our prospects as I do Murray. I forget he's only been in the league for 15 games. He should hit a wall sometime in Jan/Feb, you can deal with it then.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
IMHO he needs to be on a line with Johansen or MacKenzie at this point. I would be highly entertained by a Calvert/Jenner/Atkinson line when we get those guys back. High risk pace setters. If you don't want it to be totally suicidal, put MacKenzie between them and play them 11 minutes a night ES.

You take the pressure off Calvert and Atkinson and let them play their game.

As I said earlier, you probably want to put Johansen up with Gaborik at this point. Johansen seems to be handling the pressure and the struggles better than Atkinson. Looks like he can take limited scoring chances better and he's not intimidated. He seems to be making better decisions in all three zones; although he can get a little squirrelly in the defensive zone from time to time.

Just move Murray up with JJ and start playing him 20+ minutes a night. I've never had as much confidence in one of our prospects as I do Murray. I forget he's only been in the league for 15 games. He should hit a wall sometime in Jan/Feb, you can deal with it then.

blah you're all over this stuff. Johansen/Foligno/Gaborik, JJ/Murray. I'm all 'bout those.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the best part, when he does hit that wall, it'll be the olympic break and he'll have a few weeks to rest up and get back at it...

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
I certainly hope all this talk about a divided locker room is just upset fans speculating. That is absolutely the last thing this franchise needs at this point. I dont believe it! Sucks that its Nov. 8th and we are already at a crossroads in this season. This team CAN win as its put together. I dont need to bring up last seasons run! I know its a different season and some new players, but we know the ability is there. Richards has to find a way to get everyone playing 110%. Everyone!

I find it very interesting that we have lost every game since Jenner went down. Not saying he is a game changer, but we certainly miss is sand paper style and his ability to get the puck towards the net. Speak of putting the puck towards the net, thats part of the issue! How many times do we miss the net completely by trying to go top shelf! Hit the net and good things happen!

CAMSANITY

Jan 30, 2013
Redondo Beach
This isn't really the right place for this but for the sake of starting a new thread when Jenner and Calvert are back I agree playing that line with Cam on the other wing would be entertaining at least.

42/19/10 Johansen gets some capable finishers
18/17/71 I hope putting Dubi on this line that he gets RJ in gear
13/38/11 All kinds of energy and grit with a little bit of finish
14/24/40 Hard hitting

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I certainly hope all this talk about a divided locker room is just upset fans speculating.

I haven't seen the last few games, so what do I know, but I'm seriously doubting there is anything to this supposed locker room spat.

Also, perhaps the whole split over identifying the problem as lack of effort or stupidity is a positional thing. When you're a forward and things aren't going well its often because you're not laying the body or getting in on the forecheck fast enough - effort based things. When you're a defenceman and things aren't going well, its because your positioning sucks or you missed a scorer or you didn't get the puck out of the zone.. .stupidity. Of course I'm speculating too.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This isn't really the right place for this but for the sake of starting a new thread when Jenner and Calvert are back I agree playing that line with Cam on the other wing would be entertaining at least.

14/24/40 Hard hitting

Folks have been talking about putting Johansen on the top line for how many years now? I've been opposed the whole time, until now. He's been so good lately.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I touched on 13 in another post. If I were to bench him it would be for his sake; not as punishment.

The guy looks lost out there. He's not getting any support from his line mates.

I think he really misses the presence of Calvert on his line, they had great chemistry and Calvert might be the only one that plays with the same speed. I'll hold off getting too down on him until Calvert comes back and they play a few together and see what happens.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

14/24/40 Hard hitting

I like those lines, I think when Horton comes back, he slides in where 18 is, 18 drops to the 4th line or the press box. I know Comeau is most likely to sit rather than Umberger, but I don't think that's deserved. I would like to see an Umberger/Letestu trade for a veteren gritty, clear the front of the net and fight defensemen and have Savard head back to the minors for some more seasoning, his early season spark has faded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad