GDT: Game 15: Columbus vs. New York Rangers | 11/7 7PM EST

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
What exactly did Johnson say that's leading some to say there's a locker room issue? Haven't been able to track that down other than one user saying that. No offense to Robert but I'm interested to hear other responses.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Can't listen to it right now.

It's funny because Jack Johnson has been the Jackets LVP. He's still JMFJ, but the MF now comes from what you yell when he gets caught out of position for the 15th time in a game.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the locker room is divided now. After hearing Dubinsky and Johnson's comments, these guys aren't pulling the rope the same direction. The irony is that these are the two guys who everyone said would be the captain of this club.

The question is how do you solve the division. Do you sit each guy down and ask them who they feel is the leader of the club? Once you have that info, what do you do with it? Do you trade one? Do you sit them both down and tell them that they better lock it up? Do you fire the coach for the division? There seem to be more questions than answers.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I think the "division" stuff is a bit sensationalist. We don't know enough information to make that claim.

But good lord Jack, if you want to start blaming people, take a look in a mirror.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think the "division" stuff is a bit sensationalist. We don't know enough information to make that claim.

But good lord Jack, if you want to blame somebody, take a look in a mirror.

while i agree with this, they are stating two different messages with their frustrations...that's not good

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
while i agree with this, they are stating two different messages with their frustrations...that's not good

FWIW, Dubinsky seems to be giving the same message the coach is so I'm not sure what else he needs to do in order to be given a C if the message is being split between the A's at this point. I don't recall anyone asking the other 'A' Boll his opinion on last night unless I missed those comments.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
The one thing I did notice in the fall out from last night is that Dubinsky's and Richard's comments were almost identical. Perhaps it's Johnson that isn't in line with what is going on. Pair that with the comment that Atkinson made within the last couple of weeks that said that Dubi is the leader, I think you have the possibility of a resentful Jack Johnson. Whatever is going on in that dressing room, it's dragging the franchise back to the depths. Address it now or the season is lost. I don't think that's sensationalist or hyperbole at this point. I think it's real and the fans don't deserve it.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The one thing I did notice in the fall out from last night is that Dubinsky's and Richard's comments were almost identical. Perhaps it's Johnson that isn't in line with what is going on. Pair that with the comment that Atkinson made within the last couple of weeks that said that Dubi is the leader, I think you have the possibility of a bitter Johnson. Whatever is going on in that dressing room, it's dragging the franchise back to the depths. Address it now or the season is lost. I don't think that's sensationalist or hyperbole at this point. I think it's real and the fans don't deserve it.

I think you make some points I've eluded to. It's seems obvious that there is something wrong in the locker room. Not surprising. Having said that, I don't want the fans considered in any of this. What the deserve is irrelevant when considering how to respond to this losing streak.

To best honest, it's not like we are filling up the house. We didn't exactly hold up our end after the way they ended last season.

If we had 16k+ there last night I would be more sympathetic to the fans. However, I will say that we did sound louder, at times, than what was there. This is directed at myself as well. I had tickets and didn't go.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

But good lord Jack, if you want to start blaming people, take a look in a mirror.

The one thing I did notice in the fall out from last night is that Dubinsky's and Richard's comments were almost identical. Perhaps it's Johnson that isn't in line with what is going on. Pair that with the comment that Atkinson made within the last couple of weeks that said that Dubi is the leader, I think you have the possibility of a bitter Johnson.

Potential sophopmoric jokes aside...

I wonder about this. I try to balance "reading into" things with taking statements at face value (not always that well, but nonetheless). So it does seem entirely possible that JJ felt he was on track for the captaincy and that part of what's holding up the assigning of a 'C' is the concern over how to handle multiple candidates and how the "loser," and any players on his "side," might react.

Johnson started out playing this year like he wanted to be the leader. But his "effort" plays often had bad results - thinking back to early in the season, he had I think a couple bad penalties very late in games over the first 3-5 games. When things didn't work out like he'd hoped (extrapolating here), maybe that's what has caused his consistently sub-par play. (I'm ignoring here the concept of the "JJ that people told us we were getting" - he's a young guy and while it might be instructive to note, I don't know as his past is all that relevant any more).

Interesting, anyway.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I think you make some points I've eluded to. It's seems obvious that there is something wrong in the locker room. Not surprising. Having said that, I don't want the fans considered in any of this. What the deserve is irrelevant when considering how to respond to this losing streak.

To best honest, it's not like we are filling up the house. We didn't exactly hold up our end after the way they ended last season.

If we had 16k+ there last night I would be more sympathetic to the fans. However, I will say that we did sound louder, at times, than what was there. This is directed at myself as well. I had tickets and didn't go.

I guess when it comes to the fans, my point would be don't give the impression that you've got your **** together and then within 15 games, completely have a melt down. I think fans deserve better. I don't think there's any question that if you put a good product on the ice, fans will show up. When they were hot at the end of last season, fans came back and were boisterous. I think the same would happen this season, that's why the decisions they make on how to solve their problems become "crucial." 15 games in, their locker room problems have the season in the balance. We'll see, maybe they have a big brawl in practice today and the problem goes away and they start winning. I had tickets last night and couldn't go either. I did give mine to someone that could.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I think I've kept quiet long enough. I didn't want to make anybody feel bad but I know exactly why our guys are under-performing on the ice. We've been under-performing our GDT's. There I've said it.

I'm not sure I've seen any kind of "edition" GDT this entire season. It's all just line combinations and maybe a picture of the arena. No mspaint graphics, no humor, no weird references, no youtube links to obscure songs. We need to step it up. You KNOW the guys are reading these GDT's before the game. They see the lack of enthusiasm and they think to themselves: "Why bother? If the CBJ section on HFBoards can't even put together an attempt at a humorous or really well-designed GDT, what am I even doing here?"

It's time to carry the night and ignite the flag with some hardcore posting [but not posting of anything that is hardcore] so we can join the cannon and fire the battle so that you gotta see it starts now.

Someone else should make the GDTs. I have the **** touch.

Just don't do the "no effort, just like the team hurrr durrr" GDT. That's really douchy.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I guess when it comes to the fans, my point would be don't give the impression that you've got your **** together and then within 15 games, completely have a melt down. I think fans deserve better. I don't think there's any question that if you put a good product on the ice, fans will show up. When they were hot at the end of last season, fans came back and were boisterous..

The early season attendance doesn't support your theory. This was before the big slide. I dislike the cliches built around "deserve" in hockey.

Simply put. Front office; concentrate on improving the product. Make no on-ice decisions based on fan feedback.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Either I'm listening to the wrong JMFJ quote or I'm completely missing what he said that either calls out the forwards or contradicts Dubi. Someone fill me in, because there is nothing in his comments to me that indicates any real divergence from Dubi, HCTR or others.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Either I'm listening to the wrong JMFJ quote or I'm completely missing what he said that either calls out the forwards or contradicts Dubi. Someone fill me in, because there is nothing in his comments to me that indicates any real divergence from Dubi, HCTR or others.

At work so I don't know if it's the same couple of quotes but during post game Dubi said that there was no effort. JJ said he disagreed, that there was effort but that the problem was they had to not only work but work smart.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

The clip above is not Johnson's total comments from last night. I think the question came from Dave Maetzold in the post game, where he asked Johnson about Dubi's comments that the effort is not there. Johnson's response was "I don't think that's true" or close to that effect. It was the type of comment coupled with his body language that leads you to believe there could be division in the room, especially when combined with Richards comments after the game.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
The early season attendance doesn't support your theory. This was before the big slide. I dislike the cliches built around "deserve" in hockey.

Simply put. Front office; concentrate on improving the product. Make no on-ice decisions based on fan feedback.

Point taken. But ultimately what the front office is able to do is tied to fans and the revenue stream created by a full building. I would think that Davidson and GMJK are starting to feel the pressure a little bit. If they don't do anything and everything sorts it's self out and they start winning, they'll look like geniuses. However if things get worse and we're talking about the #1 draft pick by Christmas, it's going to be discussions about the same old Jackets.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
A majority of this team has to pick up the effort or become better hockey players. Too many stupid defensive breakdowns and lack of goal scoring. Gaborik is going to have to skate faster or score more goals here to get a flyer from me considering he is making 7 million a year, and some fans want to bring him back next season still. Anisimov, looked like our most talented forward last season, he got a deserved extension at the time, now he's fiddling away on a 3rd line and looks lost. Atkinson-starts the season hot, kind of fizzling out. Umberger- We all know he's not worth his contract no matter what he does in the off season. Boll got a contract extension, not sure anybody knows why, and has 0 points this season. Wisniewski is making 5.5 mil a year, Jack is making 4.357 mil a year, Fedor 4.5 mil

I have been impressed by Johansen, D-Mac, and Murray. Johansen has got some sick skating and puck handling skills, now let's hope he can start finding the back of the net. Murray, even though a few do not like him might be our best d-man as a rookie. D-Mac comes to play.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Someone else should make the GDTs. I have the **** touch.

Just don't do the "no effort, just like the team hurrr durrr" GDT. That's really douchy.

In case you don't know, I was being silly. I sometimes omit my sarcasm smileys because I figure there's no way anyone could or should take what I say seriously. Then I remember there are a lot of stupid people out there saying WAAAAY dumber stuff than I am and they expect to be taken seriously, so yeah. I'm just tired of us retreading all the old reasons why we're losing again [lack of leadership, not trying hard enough, LOFT, bad coach, bad GM, bad players, etc.] so I try to come up with new stupid reasons to explain our predicament.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
The main points I got out of the Dubi and JJ post game comments were the following (feel free to agree or disagree):

Dubi - very emotional and pissed off, near rant about "effort"

JJ - more emotionally detached, "effort not the problem, but we need to be smarter"

Honestly, for some guys it is probably one or the other of these comments. As a group, I think, they are working pretty hard. But, man, have there been some VERY stupid plays.

You need both effort and smart play. Collectively, they haven't been close to doing that. First goal last night was on Tyutin. The Rangers' third goal was horrible play by both the defenseman and Letestu. Guys out of position, bad passing.

The "Carter year" I was hopeful, then devastated when October progressed. This year, I'm just resigned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad