GDT: Game 14: Canada Vs Germany | 9AM EST 3PM CET

blindpass

May 7, 2010
So why wasn't Hofer playing every minute prior to this game?
It's Hofer's net to lose now, but judging goalies on small numbers of games is senseless. I wouldn't be convinced Hofer is or isn't the better choice based on the sample size we've seen. If Hofer has a bad game all the magical thinkers will be asking why Rodrigues didn't start given his better pedigree.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I will also be cheering on our Czech brothers in this one.
I wouldn't go as far as call them our brothers( I wouldn't even call them our our 3rd cousin twice removed) but they are the huge underdogs and playing the U.S so I will certainly cheer for them today.

Easy decision.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's Hofer's net to lose now, but judging goalies on small numbers of games is senseless. I wouldn't be convinced Hofer is or isn't the better choice based on the sample size we've seen. If Hofer has a bad game all the magical thinkers will be asking why Rodrigues didn't start given his better pedigree.

It was a bit unusual to have arguably the two strongest opponents first up on the schedule for Canada.

But it’s a short tournament and it’s not about being nice.

Reactions: jj cale

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It was a bit unusual to have arguably the two strongest opponents first up on the schedule for Canada.

But it’s a short tournament and it’s not about being nice.
Agreed. I'd go with Hofer. Just saying that the hindsight ("why did they ever start Daws?") is irrational.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Agreed. I'd go with Hofer. Just saying that the hindsight ("why did they ever start Daws?") is irrational.

I never blame the goalies in these kinds of short tournaments.

Often it’s not even their fault, but the team has to switch something up after a loss.

I always thought it was funny that Brodeur was miffed about getting yanked in 2010 after the USA game when Joseph getting yanked in 2002 after the Sweden game is what allowed Marty to play for Gold.

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
still not impressed with Canada's play.they seem weak on the puck and losing the one on one battles. hopefully they get Laf back and move on.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I wouldn't go as far as call them our brothers( I wouldn't even call them our our 3rd cousin twice removed) but they are the huge underdogs and playing the U.S so I will certainly cheer for them today.

Easy decision.

I mean, we did teach them the sport and above all they’re playing the Yanks lol hopefully they can pull off the upset for their home fans.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

Easy decision.
I am cheering for USA. Right now russia is in 4th place, a quarterfinal disaster for sweden.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I didn't really like that game for Canada. At least Hofer looked good.

Germany collapsed around their goalie for the most part which just made the game a maze of sticks and bodies.

Important that Canada scored the first goal.

I didn’t expect a masterpiece performance today so just an improvement is what I’m pleased to see after the last game.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I never blame the goalies in these kinds of short tournaments.

Often it’s not even their fault, but the team has to switch something up after a loss.

I always thought it was funny that Brodeur was miffed about getting yanked in 2010 after the USA game when Joseph getting yanked in 2002 after the Sweden game is what allowed Marty to play for Gold.
Yep. Daws had a couple of awkward rebounds on high shots, including the weird first goal. Other than that he wasn't bad. The defense was bad.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
still not impressed with Canada's play.they seem weak on the puck and losing the one on one battles. hopefully they get Laf back and move on.
This was never going to be a juggernaut Team Canada. If they are going to win it's going to be by gutting out games and playing smart.

I don't think we'll see Lafreniere until the semis, if they make it there, if at all.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am cheering for USA. Right now russia is in 4th place, a quarterfinal disaster for sweden.
Make sense especially considering the oh so easy group you guys have been in, you don't want to go in little tested in the quarters against that Russian team.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
All things considering, 4-1 win without our top LW or Top C, regardless if Lafreniere comes back is good. Veleno back for the Czech game is huge.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Really liked Calen Addison's and Nolan Foote's game today. Also Hane was great in net for Germany. Seider was very good and calm with and without the puck all game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad