GDT: Game 14: Avs @ Canucks|8pm MT|11/2/18|Late Breaking Edition

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A lot of players look good early on but then fade away. Look at Hopkins for example, he is a worse player than our third line grinder Gabe, but when he was drafted he was potential #1 center. I don't know what happened to him, but basically, it feels like he just regressed ever since his first season. MacK looked amazing in his first season and then he had few seasons where he wasn't showing the same potential, it made me very worried, but it looked like Duchene leaving was the key thing for MacK. Maybe mentally he had to step up and not rely on Duchene, not sure, but something changed.

So while this Petterson guy looks amazing, but the development is rarely steady. Up and down. In 5 years, who knows If he is still as good, of course, he could be better as well.

I don't wish for Petman to fail (even though I hate the Nucks), but I think if Makar hits his potential we won't regret the pick the way I did for years when talking about Jones/MacK.

Especially since we need a full potential Makar way more than we need a Petterson.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Another disappointing game. And after these teo you don't know what to think, did they suck because of the long break and b2b or for some other reason. Good to see Bednar demoting EJ, all the talk about how Barrie looks like crap to start the year (which he does), but EJ has been worse.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't wish for Petman to fail (even though I hate the Nucks), but I think if Makar hits his potential we won't regret the pick the way I did for years when talking about Jones/MacK.

Especially since we need a full potential Makar way more than we need a Petterson.
I disagree. This team needs someone like Elias Pettersson in a major way. The kid would be his own 2nd line and provide the scoring we desperately need behind the top line. Moot point now, though.
Another disappointing game. And after these teo you don't know what to think, did they suck because of the long break and b2b or for some other reason. Good to see Bednar demoting EJ, all the talk about how Barrie looks like crap to start the year (which he does), but EJ has been worse.
Yeah, EJ has been baddddd to start the season. Gets demoted tonight and goes -4, yikes. Barrie also taken off PP1 is a message sent to him. Reading what people had to say, sounds like Barrie had his best game of the year, which is the response I like to see from him.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
As soon as this game was going into OT I knew we still get that one point. When was the last time we won a game in OT? Another poor performance form our Defense.... Jesus. 12 goals against in 2 Games.....:help::huh:

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Ugly, ugly game. This one fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch face-first on it's downward plummet.

The cracks are starting to show again, Bednar. I believe his skill level as a coach is somewhere between his first two seasons...but closer to year 1 than year 2, sadly.

What his blind fascination with Matt Nieto and Gabe Bourque is I'll never understand. Yes they kill penalties but so does Kamanev. Not to mention that both he and Dano have way more puck skills but ride the pine for seemingly no reason other than they don't have brick hands.

But Bednar gonna Bednar and loves his plugs.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
What his blind fascination with Matt Nieto and Gabe Bourque is I'll never understand. Yes they kill penalties but so does Kamanev. Not to mention that both he and Dano have way more puck skills but ride the pine for seemingly no reason other than they don't have brick hands.

But Bednar gonna Bednar and loves his plugs.
Dano is the plug of all plugs. I want Nieto and Bourque gone but I easily prefer both of them over Dano. There's just nothing he's good enough at.
Just as Grubauer last night. I don't understand why Bednar left him in the net after two periods.
Edit: I'm not blaming Grubauer for the loss but he made some things throughout the game which didn't exactly help to calm the team down. I'm not a fan of him but I think he's an okay goalie - last night he was horrible.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh, and I'm also not understanding Kamenev getting 7:26 TOI with no PP or PK time. Dude was probably one of our best forwards against Calgary and scored a SHG, and that's the reward he gets? A demotion and a benching?

Kid has as many points as Calvert, and 1 less point than both Bourque and Nieto, yet not a single one of those three players seems to be in jeopardy of losing his position in the lineup. Hell, Calvert's position in the lineup seems to have somehow INCREASED due to injuries.

Unacceptable decisions from Bednar as a coach.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Brutal road trip.

Amazing to think in 2 games we could enter the 3rd period in one up 4-1, and be ahead 6-5 with under 2 minutes left in the other game, and come out of it all with just 1/4 points.

That was 4 points easily available for the taking and we failed to capitalize.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Barrie got demoted as well . To the bottom pairing and off the 1st pp. But yes EJ deserved it more

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Canucks fan in peace,

What a game tonight. I’m blown away at how good rantanen is, I don’t think I truly appreciated his talent. He dominates in a malkin type style I thought he was the best player on the ice tonight. He is unbelievable.

Also, not a penalty on kerfoot in OT not sure how else you want him to play that, looked like a great defensive play to me and that’s it

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Really stings to have the days off after these two awful games. 11 goals allowed in 4 periods against Calgary and Vancouver. Unacceptable.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Has Varlamov ever said the defence needs to be better? That guy has played behind some of the worst defence groups in the modern NHL, and I don't recall him ever talking about anything other than his own game.

Then again, maybe he speaks with eyes.

usa-today-9212435.0.jpg

Semyon+Varlamov+Colorado+Avalanche+v+Buffalo+3C1SqrIVpTjl.jpg

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Now that I've had some sleep and time to cool down...the defense has been piss poor lately aside from Cole (his penalty aside), I dont understand whats happening there, looked good the first few games. Our forwards look bad for the most part too, Kerfoot and Dries were our best forwards last night despite the top line scoring some. We need upgrades badly. Nothing needs to really be said about Grubs, he just looked horrible but the defense isn't helping matters.

Honestly the reffing was good awful, its something that should be looked at (it's been like that in non-Avs games too) but we really lost this game ourselves with sloppy play everywhere.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Should be 9-3-2, but are 7-4-3 after blowing 2 games and putting up 11 goals (9 from secondary scoring). Ouch

Yeah... we had 4 points gifted to us thee last two days and we came away with a single one.

If we miss the playoffs it's this stretch here I will point to as the reason. You can't have a 3 goal lead going into the 3rd period and lose in regulation. It just can't happen.

And then to follow it up the very next night with a pair of 3rd period leads including one in the final 100 seconds and still find a way to lose.

Just terrible.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Would be great if you can do another type of Matt Calvert giveaway. Like if you gave him away to another team.
Calvert will have a giveaway for you against the Preds. Maybe even a couple. One of those that will leave one of our defensemen diving on the ice.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Petterson is worth everybit the hype... the kid is going to have to get stronger, but his creativity is of the charts.

He really is the heir apparent to the Sedins. He’ll be that good. As great as Hischier has been and as promising as Heiskinen is, I find it hard to believe anybody could pass on EP at #1 overall if doing a 2017 re-draft. And I am not in any way disappointed with the Makar pick - I think he’s going to be an impact blue liner for us, he’s an exciting talent but just as a fan of hockey, watching EP is a treat.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Anybody have a gif or something from Kerfoot's penalty in OT? I had to listen to this one on on the radio and can't find any highlight of this anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad