GDT: Game 14: Avs @ Canucks|8pm MT|11/2/18|Late Breaking Edition

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Truly a unique player. Shame we dont have him centering our 2nd line, but i still cant wait to see Makar’s impact.

With how bad the defense has been lately, makes you wonder if Makar might be more important to us. Doubtful, but woof.

Did the Nucks take us to the forecheck like the Flames? Didnt watch the game.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
With how bad the defense has been lately, makes you wonder if Makar might be more important to us. Doubtful, but woof.

Did the Nucks take us to the forecheck like the Flames? Didnt watch the game.

Yes, the final goal was the result of that, back turnover due to forecheck. Our guys are just not playing our system, the lack of a 4th line is a big part because players were exhausted. We need to switch up Calvert and Bourque, so that we can have a 4th line that can give everyone else a breather.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I think these past two games are on goaltending rotation, Bednar got it the wrong-way round. Varly had started a decent number of games in a row hadn't he? It should've been Grubauer's turn on Thursday then Varly back in on Friday.

I also have full faith in Grubauer if he ever needs to step in as a starter but I dunno if he's a good sporadical backup, guy needs to play a bit more or Varly needs to play less (to mitigate the risk of his groin getting injured not because he's bad).

The optimist in me also thinks that in an effort to get secondary scoring going, Bednar decided to loosen the reigns a bit and it resulted in these past two results. Which aren't ideal but if the team can long-term get back to defending well and maintain secondary scoring then it's good in the long-term. I know Babcock does this but the opposite with the Leafs, they started off last and this season scoring a bunch of goals then he reigned them in far too much defensively to the point of them playing boring hockey with low scoring and then he let them get back to offense around January. Babcock's no longer a very good coach but hopefully Bednar loosened things up defensively rather than the defense just playing bad.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think these past two games are on goaltending rotation, Bednar got it the wrong-way round. Varly had started a decent number of games in a row hadn't he? It should've been Grubauer's turn on Thursday then Varly back in on Friday.

I also have full faith in Grubauer if he ever needs to step in as a starter but I dunno if he's a good sporadical backup, guy needs to play a bit more or Varly needs to play less (to mitigate the risk of his groin getting injured not because he's bad).

The optimist in me also thinks that in an effort to get secondary scoring going, Bednar decided to loosen the reigns a bit and it resulted in these past two results. Which aren't ideal but if the team can long-term get back to defending well and maintain secondary scoring then it's good in the long-term. I know Babcock does this but the opposite with the Leafs, they started off last and this season scoring a bunch of goals then he reigned them in far too much defensively to the point of them playing boring hockey with low scoring and then he let them get back to offense around January. Babcock's no longer a very good coach but hopefully Bednar loosened things up defensively rather than the defense just playing bad.

This makes no sense regarding Grubs. Hes been in a backup role for a while and performed well above average. Playing a backup's schedule should be the least of his problems.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I disagree. This team needs someone like Elias Pettersson in a major way. The kid would be his own 2nd line and provide the scoring we desperately need behind the top line. Moot point now, though.

Yeah, EJ has been baddddd to start the season. Gets demoted tonight and goes -4, yikes. Barrie also taken off PP1 is a message sent to him. Reading what people had to say, sounds like Barrie had his best game of the year, which is the response I like to see from him.

So you disagree that we need a future #1D more than a #2c but in the same post talk about EJ being bad? lol Sure the forward might be more of an impact right now, but we'd end up just like Edmonton in a few years.. And f*** that..

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
By the time this team gets a 2nd line worthy of a contender EJ will be a low end 2nd pairing D. This won't be a popular post, but I don't think he'll look all that hot in a couple of years if not sooner.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
By the time this team gets a 2nd line worthy of a contender EJ will be a low end 2nd pairing D. This won't be a popular post, but I don't think he'll look all that hot in a couple of years if not sooner.
And by that time we'll know what we have in G/Z/Makar and Timmins. Along with any signings/trades/draft picks. The EJ timeline of contending isn't really one I'm too worried about. He'll make a great mentoring bottom pairing guy

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
And by that time we'll know what we have in G/Z/Makar and Timmins. Along with any signings/trades/draft picks. The EJ timeline of contending isn't really one I'm too worried about. He'll make a great mentoring bottom pairing guy
That's one expensive bottom pairing guy lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I think that depends on whether we wait for picks n prospects to fill that line or make an aggressive move in FA or trade to bolster it. If we sign a Panarin/Stone or trade for a Trocheck, then I think we could have a sufficiently dangerous second line by season’s end.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So you disagree that we need a future #1D more than a #2c but in the same post talk about EJ being bad? lol Sure the forward might be more of an impact right now, but we'd end up just like Edmonton in a few years.. And **** that..
Yes. Since 2016-217, MacKinnon has been in on 33% of all Avs goals scored. That's 2nd in the league behind only Connor McDavid. Teams don't win like that.

This team needs scoring beyond the top line in the worst way possible.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes. Since 2016-217, MacKinnon has been in on 33% of all Avs goals scored. That's 2nd in the league behind only Connor McDavid. Teams don't win like that.

This team needs scoring beyond the top line in the worst way possible.

It's not like there isn't precedent for teams winning the cup without a stud #1 if they have a blueline core that's deep in quality to go with an elite forward core...and the bottle kids are a great first step towards an elite forward core. That's why I keep bringing up potential trades for a young stud 1C, because if we could add a guy like that alongside some combination of Jost / Kaut / OTT 1st / COL 1st / Kerf / Shvyry / FA, we'd have the forward core to be cup contenders even without an elite traditional #1 blueliner. Samwise, Peacock, Tboobs, an aging Kondor, Ian Cole, french-Nic & the Kutch; should be perfectly sufficient if we get that stud to anchor a 2nd scoring line behind the bottle kids.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Our blue line is fine. Our forward depth is at the complete opposite of fine.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Our blue line is fine. Our forward depth is at the complete opposite of fine.

I wouldn't even go that far. If we had a stud 2nd line that we could rely on, the bottom 6 would be fine. It's literally just that 1 line being turned into a strength, that stands between us and true cup contention.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5280

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I disagree. This team needs someone like Elias Pettersson in a major way. The kid would be his own 2nd line and provide the scoring we desperately need behind the top line. Moot point now, though.

Good luck in finding a player like Pettersson... ;-) First you would have to win the draft lottery then it has to be a really good year.

Personally I would like someone like McDavid (carrying the second line).

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Good luck in finding a player like Pettersson... ;-) First you would have to win the draft lottery then it has to be a really good year.

Personally I would like someone like McDavid (carrying the second line).
I mean.... Who the f*** wouldn't :laugh:

Reactions: 21

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Both Calgary and Vancouver are currently playing very well and both games were close. I am not overly concerned and I also believe goaltending was the main issue.

If these are bad games for Avs then it's fine.

Reactions: Waingro

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Both Calgary and Vancouver are currently playing very well and both games were close. I am not overly concerned and I also believe goaltending was the main issue.

The Flames and Canucks are playing well, but that loss in Calgary really hurts. That should have been 2 points.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It doesn't get any easier for the Avs. Up coming games are against the Preds, after another 4 day break, that's probably not gonna go well either. Then on the road against the Jest and the Oilers.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
It doesn't get any easier for the Avs. Up coming games are against the Preds, after another 4 day break, that's probably not gonna go well either. Then on the road against the Jest and the Oilers.

The Avs are good enough to defeat any team this season, I don't think they are afraid.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

It's not fine, though.

Up 4-1 heading into the 3rd should be 2 points.

Putting up 6 goals on the Canucks should be 2 points.

Grubauer was a disaster last night, but the team in front of him also lacked any semblance of defensive structure it was incredible to watch. Both of Boeser's goals were breakaways. The Eriksson, Granlund, and first Pettersson goals were a result of nobody on the Avs taking a man. I mean, there's just no way Pettersson's 1st goal should ever happen. There are four Avalanche players around him, and not only do they not take his body, they don't even take his stick. He's just standing there freely whacking away.

Bednar has some serious coaching to do before Wednesday.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Things aren't fine, no. But they're not horrible either. Every team goes through struggles, we have the foundation type pieces that I'm not overly worried about us.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs are good enough to defeat any team this season, I don't think they are afraid.
That's true, but even MacKinnon said that long breaks takes them out of rhythm, so we'll see how they come out against the Preds.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Things aren't fine, no. But they're not horrible either. Every team goes through struggles, we have the foundation type pieces that I'm not overly worried about us.
Watch this team play lighst out and win the next three. Bednar looked like a man on fire in the postgame. Pretty much called out Grubs and Markstrom for being shitty haha

Reactions: Waingro

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's not fine, though.

Up 4-1 heading into the 3rd should be 2 points.

Putting up 6 goals on the Canucks should be 2 points.

Grubauer was a disaster last night, but the team in front of him also lacked any semblance of defensive structure it was incredible to watch. Both of Boeser's goals were breakaways. The Eriksson, Granlund, and first Pettersson goals were a result of nobody on the Avs taking a man. I mean, there's just no way Pettersson's 1st goal should ever happen. There are four Avalanche players around him, and not only do they not take his body, they don't even take his stick. He's just standing there freely whacking away.

Bednar has some serious coaching to do before Wednesday.
First thing he needs to do is leave Nemeth, Barberio and Nieto in Vancouver. Take their passports with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad