GDT: Game 14: Avs @ Canucks|8pm MT|11/2/18|Late Breaking Edition

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If there’s anything that’s taught hockey fans over the years, it’s that you need to wait more than 14 games before declaring things about a team and certain players.

This time last year the Avs were still struggling, they were blown out by Vegas 7-0, Erik Johnson had three points on the season, Zadorov was in the dog house, Landy needed to be traded, Varly sucked because he had a bad save percentage after the Vegas game, MacKinnon was just starting to break out after putting up 5 points in the first 10 games, Bednar was the worst coach in the league, and the Avs were gonna be in on the Dahlin sweepstakes.

This year the Avs are 7-4-3, and tied for 6th in the entire NHL. MacKinnon and Rantanen are in Hart trophy mode, one and two leading the NHL in points. Landy is tied for the lead in the NHL in goals, and Varly is dominating.

To me the problems are obvious. They haven’t had any secondary scoring most of the year, but they were winning games. Then they had a crap game against Calgary with the help of some bad calls. Then they played better against Vancouver, but had atrocious goaltending, and more bad calls.

Other aspects aren’t perfect, and some players can be better, but the secondary scoring is the real problems right now with this team. Not EJ, Barrie, or the defense really IMO, and not Bednar’s coaching. In fact, the defense as a whole is better this year with Cole.

They need more consistent secondary scoring, and they need some of the young guys, including those who are injured to take their game to the next level. Everyone’s POV of this team will change if that happens.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I've been pleasantly surprised with Cole. He's not anything special but he's just a good ol' meat and potatoes #4D.

For me he has been a big surprise actually but you don't need defensive stay at home d-men in bunches and Nemeth is under pressure now for sure. I didn't realise there were a better version of Nemeth out there but Bednar/Sakic somehow manage to find him (I'm impressed and also surprised). Barberio is perhaps a slightly more offensive d-man but with obvious flaws. Vs Calgary and Avalanche goaltending was the main issue though, not to forget.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
And by that time we'll know what we have in G/Z/Makar and Timmins. Along with any signings/trades/draft picks. The EJ timeline of contending isn't really one I'm too worried about. He'll make a great mentoring bottom pairing guy
EJ is 30 still in his prime , broken bones won't slow you down , hurt but not a joint problem l EJ looks fine to me. Pairing him with Nemeth ugh.

Reactions: Waingro

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
EJ is 30 still in his prime , broken bones won't slow you down , hurt but not a joint problem l EJ looks fine to me. Pairing him with Nemeth ugh.
He's still good yes, I mean more-so down the road, 2-3-4 years. I think he'd make a good bottom pairing guy when players like Girard/Zadorov/Makar/potentially Timmins etc take steps forward and hopefully become the new face of our defence.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He's still good yes, I mean more-so down the road, 2-3-4 years. I think he'd make a good bottom pairing guy when players like Girard/Zadorov/Makar/potentially Timmins etc take steps forward and hopefully become the new face of our defence.
When Makar shows up he will be the new face of the Avalanche defense. Would be nice to have EJ mentor him some as im sure thats what hes doing with Girard now. You know teach G how to shoot shin pads and flail like an idiot when defending a 2 on 1. Hahaha jk. For real having EJ mentor the kids will be a good thing.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
When Makar shows up he will be the new face of the Avalanche defense. Would be nice to have EJ mentor him some as im sure thats what hes doing with Girard now. You know teach G how to shoot shin pads and flail like an idiot when defending a 2 on 1. Hahaha jk. For real having EJ mentor the kids will be a good thing.
Yup. I like the makeup of our defense, I know with Pettersson and Heiskanen looking like studs it's easy to jump to regret over not getting them. But I mean I remember last season select people being like ugh, Hischier looks so good. And now a year later he's pretty much forgotten over the new shiny toys of EP/Miro.

Who knows what we'll be saying this time next season. "Remember when we were all gushing over EP before Makar even arrived? Good times"

Even if Timmins doesn't get his health back, I really like our defense going forward.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah, I’m a Bednar fan, but when I heard that pairing I about threw up in my mouth a little bit. What was wrong with Sammy G and EJ?

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I’m a Bednar fan, but when I heard that pairing I about threw up in my mouth a little bit. What was wrong with Sammy G and EJ?

See I don't know why people keep saying this. The Sammy-EJ pairing has NOT been fine for a while, and it's mostly because of EJ, who's not been good overall the last few games. Had a great start but for some reason has been making some really ghastly turnovers and bad decisions, both with the puck and with his own positioning. Take a look at what happened with both Sammy and Barrie when Barrie finally got reunited with Z and G got paired with Cole. Both played quite well IMO.

EJ is definitely working his way into the doghouse too. Had the 5th-most ice time of any blueliner last night and didn't get a sniff of time in OT...which may have been a mistake IMO since I actually think EJ is one of the few Avs players who seems to know what he's doing in OT, but I can see why he was stapled to the bench. The Nemeth-EJ pairing was horrid last night, and it's not just because of Nemeth.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
See I don't know why people keep saying this. The Sammy-EJ pairing has NOT been fine for a while, and it's mostly because of EJ, who's not been good overall the last few games. Had a great start but for some reason has been making some really ghastly turnovers and bad decisions, both with the puck and with his own positioning. Take a look at what happened with both Sammy and Barrie when Barrie finally got reunited with Z and G got paired with Cole. Both played quite well IMO.

EJ is definitely working his way into the doghouse too. Had the 5th-most ice time of any blueliner last night and didn't get a sniff of time in OT...which may have been a mistake IMO since I actually think EJ is one of the few Avs players who seems to know what he's doing in OT, but I can see why he was stapled to the bench. The Nemeth-EJ pairing was horrid last night, and it's not just because of Nemeth.

Yeah, you might be right in that everybody else is looking better in the other pairings and you have to put EJ and Nemeth together because that is what’s left over, but it still makes me cringe a little bit.

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
I was so fed up, after last two games so I took some time, before I came here to read the ”game-feed”.

It was weird to notice that one week ago, our goaltenders compained the best save% in the whole league.
And after couple of bad games (which btw, happens to everybody during 82games) people are Ready to trade our goalies and don’t wanna see them play ever again :D

Like D’s or Forwards doesn’t have bad game ever :D

We are lucky to have the points we have gathered and one reason for it... is our goaltenders.

So hold you horses everybody :)

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I think Cole could be a great mentor as well, great fundamentals player kinda like EJ only with SC finals experience :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->