GDT: Game 14: Avs @ Canucks|8pm MT|11/2/18|Late Breaking Edition

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I liked the Z and Barrie pairing but I hated every other pairing especially EJ and Nemeth. Good god. Nemeth is insanely terrible.
Yeah that was a terrible pairing, I thought Bednar would just do that for awhile and switch back but he kept with it unfortunately. Nemeth and some of the othe waiver fodder need to go back on waivers .

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I liked the Z and Barrie pairing but I hated every other pairing especially EJ and Nemeth. Good god. Nemeth is insanely terrible.

Weird start for a 6/7s especially since I thought Barbs was better in pre-season than Nemeth. Then Nemeth starts the year anyways as is ok, then he has some bad nights and Barbs comes in looking like hotter garbage, and now both are playing like crap. At least in Nemeth's defense (and it bothers me to say) he was played above his head.

This would have been the perfect chance for Timmins to break in with these two yahoos playing like this, but the hockey gods didn't feel like being nice I guess.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Once again

Nemeth sucks at skating, and EJ left him to dry on both goals.

EJ took risks he might have gotten away with in the past, but just isn't the same guy as in the past. He has to be more conservative

edit: or at least understand his new partner isn't Girard and can't skate like Girard

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Talk about slow footed. First two goals were a direct result of Nemeth skating through quicksand.

That's a mental mistake on his part though more than anything. Both plays he tried to keep pace with Boeser skating backwards. If he just puts his head down and skates forward, he can angle him wide at least, and maybe deflect the shot.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs score a lot of goals and let even more goals in. Mack scores to take the lead with 90 seconds left. Avs play like idiots and get scored on with under a minute left. Avs have no idea how to play in OT and lose.

You forgot the part where Nieto had a wide open empty net and missed it with 1 min left. Seconds later...turnover behind the AVS goal for no apparent reason and the game is tied.

The last 2 games have been a comedy of errors. Very, very, very bad hockey.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You forgot the part where Nieto had a wide open empty net and missed it with 1 min left. Seconds later...turnover behind the AVS goal for no apparent reason and the game is tied.

The last 2 games have been a comedy of errors. Very, very, very bad hockey.

Which is why is wasn't an entertaining game. Sloppy hockey from your favorite team is never entertaining.

Bednar seemed happy with it though compared to against Calgary lol.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's this guy on the main board who loves advanced stats. I really dislike him but he's always deep in advanced stats and says that even before the last 2 games we were abysmal in most categories.

The truth is, our first line and goalies have hidden a lot of problems since the beginning of the year. We didn't play many good games as a team so far this season even when we were winning.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There's this guy on the main board who loves advanced stats. I really dislike him but he's always deep in advanced stats and says that even before the last 2 games we were abysmal in most categories.

The truth is, our first line and goalies have hidden a lot of problems since the beginning of the year. We didn't play many good games as a team so far this season even when we were winning.

That matches the eye test, although we were one of the top teams in the league in % of time leading. That lends to a lot of shots against.

To start the year our bottom six looked good, and then they went cold but at least they were zero sum. Now the entire bottom nine and some of the defense is making costly mistakes defensively at bad times.

The top line hasn't stopped it's just under water now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Once again

MonsterMack said:
Nemeth sucks at skating, and EJ left him to dry on both goals.​

This just isn't true. The first goal, Kerfoot sent a terrible pass while EJ was pinching. Nemeth was 1 on 1 with Boeser. Not left out to dry.

The second goal EJ pinched to hold a puck in, and Calvert, Nieto, and Nemeth were all back in the neutral zone to defend Boesser breaking up ice. Not left out to dry.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That matches the eye test, although we were one of the top teams in the league in % of time leading. That lends to a lot of shots against.

To start the year our bottom six looked good, and then they went cold but at least they were zero sum. Now the entire bottom nine and some of the defense is making costly mistakes defensively at bad times.

I tried to ninja edit that lol, not sure you'll still completely agree.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This just isn't true. The first goal, Kerfoot sent a terrible pass while EJ was pinching. Nemeth was 1 on 1 with Boeser. Not left out to dry.

The second goal EJ pinched to hold a puck in, and Calvert, Nieto, and Nemeth were all back in the neutral zone to defend Boesser breaking up ice. Not left out to dry.

Yeah I didn't come away hating Nemeth, but felt he was over matched. But so were our forwards.

All these guys who add so little offensively can't get played above their head in ways that they can't be solid defensively and that is happening now.

I guess this solves the Jost to the AHL crap lol. Losing him hurt the team, and it's obvious.

Reactions: klozge

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Didnt need stat boy to say as much. Imo we've had 2-3 games this season where I thought we played 60 minutes. The Tampa game oddly enough was one and i think the other 2 were both games against Philly. Every other game was a solid 40 minutes maybe. We certainly have not looked good since that Tampa game. Nearly lost to the Sens. Lost to the Wild, Flames and Nucks. 3 points of a possible 8 when we should have gotten 6/8 had we not given up 5 goals in a period against Calgary and lose a game with 30 seconds left tonight. So damn frustrating. I only hope this doesnt haunt us in April.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
They need to do something about this defense. Awful. It's great we are scoring goals, but this is not how you are going to win hockey games later in the season or playoffs.

Two terrible, but entertaining games vs Calgary and Vancouver.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
You should do a very detailed game recap post afterwards if we win.

Well looks like it was a rough night for the Avs. Not so much here, after multiple rounds of Gatorade, green tea, starbust and other mixed shots this guy ended up meeting several women that were friends of friends.

The hottest one at the bar tonight I actually went to highschool with. After exchanging laughs and stories and sharing drinks I grabbed her number for tomorrow night's festivities. Meanwhile I met a new friend with many colors of hair that seemed to enjoy my ability to block the rain from hitting her. We hit it off talking about sports and she wanted to go see a hockey game sometime, score. So we'll do that in a few weeks. Prolly Flyers, meh.

Two sets of plans in one night, now onto the app prospecting since I'm home.

Too bad the Avs couldn't sustain like I did. I'll hang on next time for the entire game to see it through with drink bets.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

This is where losing the red headed kid hurts.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Didnt need stat boy to say as much. Imo we've had 2-3 games this season where I thought we played 60 minutes. The Tampa game oddly enough was one and i think the other 2 were both games against Philly. Every other game was a solid 40 minutes maybe. We certainly have not looked good since that Tampa game. Nearly lost to the Sens. Lost to the Wild, Flames and Nucks. 3 points of a possible 8 when we should have gotten 6/8 had we not given up 5 goals in a period against Calgary and lose a game with 30 seconds left tonight. So damn frustrating. I only hope this doesnt haunt us in April.

Yeah but until now I felt like our forwards were mostly the problem. Lack of secondary scoring of course. These last two were the only ones I felt like our defense was part of the problem.

I expected us to be inconsistent throughout games this year though. Too many forwards in roles above their head for it to be otherwise. However if your defense and goal-tending is good it can cover for that. We can't have all three otherwise this ship is going straight to the bottom.

I don't know why Bednar messed with the defensive pairings because I don't feel like they were the problem. Maybe an off night against Calgary in the third, but otherwise it wasn't a major issue. It was for the entire 60 against the Nucks though, and I think Bednar's blender hurt us there.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Glad I missed this one. Probably would have tried to fight my wife if I watched it live. Went out for dessert instead. Sweet potato pie and a caramel latte tasted about as bad as the Avs looked to have played. So all wasn't great.

Can someone slap Jared Bednar, please? I hated him in year 1, praised him for such a great bounce back year 2, and am starting to hate him again. His incessant love of grinders and constant need to be harder on skilled players is maddening.

Whatever. 4 days off, I'm happy these chumps get to think about back-to-back embarrassments for the next 96 hours. Maybe they'll get their collective heads out of their ***** and start to actually play hard and - more importantly - play smart.

Lastly - **** Cale Makar. And I say that with absolutely zero ill will towards Cale Makar. But damnit if this Elias Pettersson kid doesn't end up the best player from that draft I will be a monkey's uncle. He is going to be insane for years to come.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is where losing the red headed kid hurts.

Yeah I still think Compher has a solid shot at being a 20/20 type of player. Very high level third liner who can play up for stretches.

Last year he missed a lot of scoring chances, but he was hitting those to start this year, and from the 4C slot too. The kid has a knack for being in the right spot even if his shot is inconsistent. He needs to get better defensively, but it's within his skill set IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Glad I missed this one. Probably would have tried to fight my wife if I watched it live. Went out for dessert instead. Sweet potato pie and a caramel latte tasted about as bad as the Avs looked to have played. So all wasn't great.

Can someone slap Jared Bednar, please? I hated him in year 1, praised him for such a great bounce back year 2, and am starting to hate him again. His incessant love of grinders and constant need to be harder on skilled players is maddening.

Whatever. 4 days off, I'm happy these chumps get to think about back-to-back embarrassments for the next 96 hours. Maybe they'll get their collective heads out of their ***** and start to actually play hard and - more importantly - play smart.

Lastly - **** Cale Makar. And I say that with absolutely zero ill will towards Cale Makar. But damnit if this Elias Pettersson kid doesn't end up the best player from that draft I will be a monkey's uncle. He is going to be insane for years to come.

I'm still happy with the pick. Usually me climbing on a players bandwagon is a curse, but I hope it does not apply in this case.

I'm glad I crapped all-over MacK, and the hockey gods deemed me wrong as usual.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'm still happy with the pick. Usually me climbing on a players bandwagon is a curse, but I hope it does not apply in this case.

I'm glad I crapped all-over MacK, and the hockey gods deemed me wrong as usual.

A lot of players look good early on but then fade away. Look at Hopkins for example, he is a worse player than our third line grinder Gabe, but when he was drafted he was potential #1 center. I don't know what happened to him, but basically, it feels like he just regressed ever since his first season. MacK looked amazing in his first season and then he had few seasons where he wasn't showing the same potential, it made me very worried, but it looked like Duchene leaving was the key thing for MacK. Maybe mentally he had to step up and not rely on Duchene, not sure, but something changed.

So while this Petterson guy looks amazing, but the development is rarely steady. Up and down. In 5 years, who knows If he is still as good, of course, he could be better as well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just watching the highlights now - that's not a penalty on Kerfoot in overtime. Not even close. Not surprised the refs once again make a wrong call at a major junction of the game. I can see exactly why Kerfoot was incensed. He knows what he did. That's what every player is taught to do when battling with another player. Be strong on your stick.

That's only a penalty because Pettersson is going so fast and falls.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00