GDT: Game 13 | Stars @ Blue Jackets | 7:30 PM EST

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I feel sorry for Vincent. What good is a team playing great, shorthanded great, when our stars don't score a goal even when they are alone in front of the goalie.

And here Dallas still has Oettinger, Hieskinen on defense.

What do you think, trade Dallas Hieskinen for Werenski + 1st round/Boqvist + Peeke?

no chance dallas trades heiskenen lol.

I’ve been a diehard jacket since I could walk (joking but really) and i’ve never said this before but… what a pathetic, pathetic, pathetic franchise.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I know things are looking bad now, but I've seen this movie before. About March 1st, the Jackets will go on an amazing win streak to finish out the season and screw up our draft position and convince us this team will really be something next year.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Worst team at east. Third worst in the league. This franchise is a joke. Couple years ago it looked like something could happening, but now its same old shit what it was. Arizona is lightyear ahead us and that should ring some bells...
We’re not, though. Go look at the league standings. We’re 24th because there are a LOT of bad teams in the west.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
IMG_1089.png

Usage makes no sense. Worst line, biggest minutes

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't understand the criticism of Vincent

Voronkov (23) -- Fantilli (19) -- Marchenko (23)
Texier (24) -- Sillinger (20) -- Chinakhov (22)

Voronkov is a greenhorn and the KHL is different enough.
Chinakhov, due to injury, has played few games in the NHL.
Texier is a grinder.

The worst defenseman was Werenski, who is playing horrible on the PP on top of that. But because of his status, no one will touch him.

Other than that, Martin made one mistake. Oettinger, on the other hand, played like God.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Worst team at east. Third worst in the league. This franchise is a joke. Couple years ago it looked like something could happening, but now its same old shit what it was. Arizona is lightyear ahead us and that should ring some bells...
Yep.

Franchises can have down turns and rebuild but this franchise has never won and only had one stretch where they did a little damage.

How are franchises worse than us already in a better spot? The roster construction is built for failure. Too many kids being banked on to take the next step without a real plan. Bad contract after bad contract.

How many more years are they going to give Jarmo?

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH

Texier is a grinder.

The worst defenseman was Werenski, who is playing horrible on the PP on top of that. But because of his status, no one will touch him.

Other than that, Martin made one mistake. Oettinger, on the other hand, played like God.

I agree with all of this except the oettinger statement. his xGA total was 2.35… he literally only saved 0.35 above expected. he’s a phenomenal young goalie but tonight… he did not “play like God”.

Jackets couldn’t finish to save their lives. the chances were there.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
We have the talent, now all it takes is a coaching group and leadership to build an adequate system

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
this one is weird to me because I felt like that was one of sillinger’s best games this season.. atleast one of the most engaging. missed the net from literally a foot away in the 3rd but still.

I don't know if I can assess Sillinger's whole 60 minutes because clearly our issues are more systemic than individual. But I didn't like Sillinger's defense on the Stars first goal. He left Marchment open for a clear shot.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yep.

Franchises can have down turns and rebuild but this franchise has never won and only had one stretch where they did a little damage.

How are franchises worse than us already in a better spot? The roster construction is built for failure. Too many kids being banked on to take the next step without a real plan. Bad contract after bad contract.

How many more years are they going to give Jarmo?
Is it meaning Jarmo has built a young team that just needs to gain experience, and you want the new GM to be able to give himself all the credit? That's absolutely ridiculous.

It's just too bad Jarmo gave the NMC to Werenski and Gaudreau. And Severson's contract isn't ideal either.

Reactions: squashmaple

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It's meaning Jarmo has built a young team that just needs to gain experience, and you want the new GM to be able to give himself all the credit? That's absolutely ridiculous.

It's just too bad Jarmo gave the NMC to Werenski and Gaudreau. And Severson's contract isn't ideal either.
And Elvis'

Reactions: VT

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
It's meaning Jarmo has built a young team that just needs to gain experience, and you want the new GM to be able to give himself all the credit? That's absolutely ridiculous.

I’m in a weird spot right now. I’m not upset about the team. They’re pretty much what I expected: young and inexperienced and sloppy but with flashes of a bright future. That Voronkov-Fantilli-Marchenko line is one of those flashes. But I am upset that the franchise can’t stop stepping on its own dick. Twenty-three years of this futility. Jarmo and JD should not have survived the Babcock fiasco to make the same tired, pathetic lipservice about “making the playoffs.”

Reactions: koteka

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I’m in a weird spot right now. I’m not upset about the team. They’re pretty much what I expected: young and inexperienced and sloppy but with flashes of a bright future. That Voronkov-Fantilli-Marchenko line is one of those flashes. But I am upset that the franchise can’t stop stepping on its own dick. Twenty-three years of this futility. Jarmo and JD should not have survived the Babcock fiasco to make the same tired, pathetic lipservice about “making the playoffs.”
It was impossible to rebuild the team with Torts.
You can only get a quality center and usually a goalie/defenseman in the draft. That's why, especially a center, is valuable commodity. Our first quality center was PLD, you know the result. Then Johnson and Sillinger, with Cole being a 2C at best, and it's not out of the question that Kent won't play wing. We are left with Fantilli and the hope that Laine will be a great center, as Boone, as a center, is also better at the 3 line and Roslovic a wing.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Texier is a grinder.

Do you not see how terrible his system is? There's a reason the team looks so toothless offensively and it's not because they have young guys.

I don't know how you can watch them play and think anything Vincent is doing is working.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Do you not see how terrible his system is? There's a reason the team looks so toothless offensively and it's not because they have young guys.

I don't know how you can watch them play and think anything Vincent is doing is working.

The system is definitely crippling our offensive players, I'm just holding out some hope that this is part of the process with Vincent, perhaps getting the defensive fundamentals set before opening up on the attack.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The system is definitely crippling our offensive players, I'm just holding out some hope that this is part of the process with Vincent, perhaps getting the defensive fundamentals set before opening up on the attack.
You have to hope that something like that is going on, but the rational part of my brain just doesn't understand how you'd even do that with the type of defensive foundation he's setting. And if you look at his head coaching record and GF/GA pretty much all of his teams struggled to score.

I'm not sure if you caught it, but during a 2nd period commercial break, Callahan asked him how he was going to get the Jackets offense going and create more scoring chances, and he literally responded with something along the lines of "by playing with energy and focusing on our line changes".

Creating offense doesn't even seem to cross his mind as a priority.

Reactions: I3LI3

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Another loss is another step closer to Jarmo and JD getting canned. That's positive no matter what some trolls on this board try to argue.

At least their passive D system will help to improve our goalies' numbers and thus revive/pump up their value. On the downside, guys like JG and Severson stay less productive and their contracts may become a burden for the new GM.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I have to hope that the system pretty much depends on the roster.

See what players are picked in the top 9 by Dallas, Washinghton of Trots, etc. Now imagine that we should play a similar style with our players. Sillinger and Chinakhov need a player like Voráček (or at least Dom), not Texier, a hit and run player. Besides, Yegor is more of a sniper.

Roslovic is inconsistent and still not ideal defensively (btw, Gaudreau is bad in defense too). Boone is a similar player to Tex, but even more vertical.

Teams like Tampa might have a 3rd line of Sillinger -- Jenner -- Texier (see Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow), but no more than that, there wouldn't be a single one of them in the top 6.

The team reminds me of CSKA Alexander Radulov when Dmitri Kvartalnov was the coach. "5 and 1/2" technical players on offense, other vertical, mobile defense. The only difference is that Kvartalov wanted that type of players, while Vincent had no influence on the roster. And then there's the Laine injury and the fact that Johnson still isn't physically ready. It is +2 vertical players.

So when you criticize the tactics, you have to first look at the players, the lines. I read a PLD interview where he said an interesting thing. They were specifically looking for players to play with Panarin. Dubois played with Russian wingers in juniors and very good, so they took advantage of that.

And still one, the team is too young.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad