GDT: Game 13 | Stars @ Blue Jackets | 7:30 PM EST

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Neither is Connor McDavid this year apparently but Pavel Zacha is

Speaking of McDavid, watching him play looks like he's recovering from injury but still playing. He's a ghost of who he was before, hopefully he gets fully healthy soon and can be what he usually is. Something to watch for a few games with Laine as well, getting back to full game readiness might take a bit.

My expectation is that the team shows growth over the season and the roster becomes more set once the correct players and combinations are found. Right now all they can do is experiment and keep the good combos and try to fix the bad. If they don't progress, then it's definitely time to consider changes in leadership, but so far this has been a far better team than last years. Of course it's totally expected with the growth and injury relief compared to last season. Just need them to be getting better, and I'm not worried.

Things like keeping Z in the PP1 is worrying though. It's not justified by results and is a detriment to the team. And not playing the Fantilli line more last game, that was a sin because they were just much better than having Johnny out there.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
They're shooting at 8%. That will correct itself.

It's better to start with the wheels off the wagon and work on putting them on versus getting a hot start and then falling apart later.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My dad and I have made the observation that Zach is slowly turning into Seth Jones. He's not playing for the team, he's playing for himself. The amount of times i've seen him take a basic wrist shot into someone's legs instead of hitting the guy that's open in the opposite faceoff circle is innumerable.

On the PP that's always been an issue with Werenski. He doesn't have the vision/awareness in his peripherals. Just a terrible PP QB.

5v5 offense he can weave with the best of them but once the D is set, like on the PK, he can't identify opportunities.

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He has acquired some good players via trade, we all know his track record and its quite good.

However, the contracts given out have been pretty bad. Werenski isn't worth 9.5 million a year, he's not a horse that you can rely on and be your #1. He looks winded and lazy in his d zone. Say what you want about him recovering from a long term injury, he's always played like this in his own zone. The guy is an offense generating machine when he's on but has never impressed defensively.

I'll just register my disagreement with this. Werenski had steadily improved his D over the years. He's had a couple rough games in the last week or so but that's outside the norm he established in the last fivish years. His ability to get to his check with two steps (and low footspeed) makes people think he's lazy. He's not slow and he's very strong and adept in his end.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I'll just register my disagreement with this. Werenski had steadily improved his D over the years. He's had a couple rough games in the last week or so but that's outside the norm he established in the last fivish years. His ability to get to his check with two steps (and low footspeed) makes people think he's lazy. He's not slow and he's very strong and adept in his end.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I've noticed a lot of bad outlet passes and minimal effort in the D zone. I really hope he finds his game as the team needs him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad