GDT: Game 13: Columbus at Carolina | 11/7 7PM EST

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
You guys know we are only 5 points out of 3rd place in the Metro, even with this streak right?

No? Sky falling? K.

And that number will continue to rise, the more games we lose. If this team doesn't get their s**t together ( and soon ) we could easily be 10+ points out by Thanksgiving. Yeah, this team dug themselves out of a big hole last season, but it was a near miracle they got in after the poor start ( and remember, the mediocrity of a few other teams helped as well ) as did the 8 game winning streak. Asking them to go on a run similar to last season might be a bit much. You can't pull that off every year.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
Come on man. You don't figure out 6'3, 225lb beasts. He's just not playing as well the last few games, super simple really.

And bag skates are pointless unless we're talking about punishing stupid.

I see it like our old Nash situation, no real threats so key on the top talent. Johansen can't seem to play past that and we can't put together a serious threat from the other lines.

Is he tired from not attending camp?
Is it lack of will?
Is it no support on his line?
Is it lack of threat from the other lines?

Something has taken the threat out of his game. I credit it the lack of support from other lines and the professionalism of our opponents.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And that number will continue to rise, the more games we lose. If this team doesn't get their s**t together ( and soon ) we could easily be 10+ points out by Thanksgiving. Yeah, this team dug themselves out of a big hole last season, but it was a near miracle they got in after the poor start ( and remember, the mediocrity of a few other teams helped as well ) as did the 8 game winning streak. Asking them to go on a run similar to last season might be a bit much. You can't pull that off every year.

No doubt. If they reach 8 points out, then they're in deep deep trouble. 10+ does it, that's too much. But you have to think rock bottom is here, and they can't go anywhere but up. We'll see. It'll likely go to 8 straight tomorrow, but hopefully they can build.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
No doubt. If they reach 8 points out, then they're in deep deep trouble. 10+ does it, that's too much. But you have to think rock bottom is here, and they can't go anywhere but up. We'll see. It'll likely go to 8 straight tomorrow, but hopefully they can build.

Yeah, I definitely hope so. This game was without a doubt the best they've played during the losing streak. If not for the dumb penalty in OT by Savard ( who was actually outstanding up to that point ) and the absolutely idiotic line change, I feel we would have won.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
Other than Bob, I think we miss Letestu the most. He wins face offs and brings energy and scoring to our bottom two lines.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I don't get the complaints about Johansen. He's been held pointless in only 2 games and maintains a PPG+ pace..

He's been playing huge minutes lately with not necessarily ideal linemates. Lay off of him.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Just got home from the game

1) Ryan J. might as well stayed in Columbus

2) Prout played as good as anyone......yes D. Prout

3) Foligno can say whatever he wants about not making excuses, but without Bob, Dubi, AA, Ryan M. and Letestu this team isn't good enough to make the playoffs let alone dream of winning a Stanley cup. Just not enough talent/experience....plain and simple

Just my 2 cents

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Not sure I believe the CBJ lost this one..... I know Bob is out and there are injuries but the hole is getting deep, only Buffalo is worse than four games under .500.

Joey said in the post game that working hard is not the only thing, working smart is...

Gotta get some wins soon.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I just can't stand David Savard. Having said that, gotta like that Jenner kid.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Fell asleep at 2-1 and woke up to another loss. Disappointing to say the least but it's a point. Tomorrow will be rough but we're not gonna get blown out.

And to those wondering both Dubinksy and Anisimov played wing in NYR and when they were first acquired.

Anisimov-Johansen-Foligno
Hartnell-Jenner-Wennberg
Calvert-Dubinksy-Atkinson
Skille-Letestu-Gibbons

Or

Hartnell-Johansen-Folingo
Wennberg-Dubinksy-Anisimov
Calvert-Jenner-Atkinson
Gibbons-Letestu-Dano

The combos are seemingly endless with Richards anyway so anything can happen. Also people are getting entirely to obsessed over the #/order of the lines. Its a game of matchups and whoever matches up be a will be out there. Our matchup problems that we gave teams is the reason we won games. Wennberg and Chaput are doing decent at filling in at center, but we need Letestu and Dubinksy back in the middle of the ice eating up valuable PK and defensive zone starts. Yes Johansen might do well in the defensive zone but getting him matched up against weaker opponents will allow him to excel, which we can't do right now.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
Good things from this game:

1. Nice seeing Jenner with control of the puck behind the net. He knows what to do with it.
2. Other than the brain fart goal, Prout played well.
3. Hartnell.
4. CMac played a decent game and the D worked pretty well with him.
5. Calvert and Gibbons are fast and use their speed well.

Anybody else got ya some good things?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

1. Nice seeing Jenner with control of the puck behind the net. He knows what to do with it.
3. Hartnell.

No (known) injuries

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Jenner, Foligno, and Hartnell are showing they care. That's a positive.

Johansen has looked off, but I think the entire opposing team is focused on him.

Our defense doesn't look that much worse with Johnson out of the lineup.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

3. Hartnell.

Well this was the closest we've been to a complete effort since the losing streak started. Usually that happens at the tail end of a losing streak.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Tell you what. If we start Forsberg in goal, we win tomorrow night.

/sigh

Back-to-back, he'll probably start. However he really wasn't why we lost last night. Once we start to realize he's a backup and his goal is to give us a chance to win, we'll be a lot better off as a fanbase.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Not so sure, next 4 games vs TB, Washington, Philly, San Jose. If we can't beat Carolina even one out of two tries I honestly don't expect to win any of those four, ceteris paribus.

The NHL doesn't work like that. The Sharks lost at home to the SABRES in regulation. The next night, against a rested rival, they beat the league-leading Ducks in their building.

Jackets will win any game they show up for and play well, rather than giving up 7 penalties or the goalie giving off rebounds like rubbers in a brothel. None of those teams are remotely unbeatable or anything. They flat haven't played well in a couple weeks now. Frankly I wouldn't bet on them but I won't go into every game with that kinda defeatist attitude. Might as well not bother watching if that's the case.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
You're probably right but he does bring a level of accountability that this team needs right now.

We need him, we need Bob and our D needs to remember that the goal is to keep the puck out of the net.

He also shifts other guys to more natural, comfortable positions. One of the biggest problems right now is being overmatched in too many spots. 3rd/4th liners against 2nd liners, 3rd pair D on the 2nd pair up against 2nd lines, RyJo spending too much time defending/PK, etc.

I can't wait to have a full lineup so we can say, "OK, this guy at 2LW is a weakness, how do we upgrade?", rather than bashing our heads against the wall because Wennberg isn't ready for a top 9 C role or the likes of Prout or St. Denis are in our top 4 defensively or our goalie is a bouncy castle with every puck like an excited 5-year-old kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00