GDT: Game 12: Colorado Avalanche Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 3:00PM | Happy Nevada Day

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Need a backup goalie
If your takeaway from this game is that, then lord help me.

We can't even see if the backups are a problem or not the way our skaters are playing(if you can call that playing) like.

Flower has to make AMAZING saves every f***ing game he plays to keep it close because our defense lays a big fat turd in the dzone.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The optimist in me says to wait and see on Schmidt. And the pessimist says if Schmidt can't turn this around then Turk gets 5 games.

Waiting on Schmidt is all they can do at this point.

The only move to make would be an upgrade on McNabb...which would be a panic move.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Waiting on Schmidt is all they can do at this point.

The only move to make would be an upgrade on McNabb...which would be a panic move.

It isn't a panic move to accurately assess a weakness.

Hague, Schuldt, Whitecloud, Coghlan are not going to be the answer. At least not now.

We aren't paying a forward group 54 million dollars to throw away a season and what is looking to be another great Fleury season.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Besides 1 game, the Knights have been blown out when they lose. This is a major f***ing problem. It is starting to become a pattern. Something needs to be changed.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It isn't a panic move to accurately assess a weakness.

Hague, Schuldt, Whitecloud, Coghlan are not going to be the answer. At least not now.

We aren't paying a forward group 54 million dollars to throw away a season and what is looking to be another great Fleury season.

It's absolutely a panic move. The player to go is Merrill, a less physical, slower version of McNabb - but he's the 'glue guy' and Gallant wants to give him more responsibilities this year.

We all crap on Holden but at least he brings decent mobility and offensive instincts.

Anyway, I'm going back into cryogenic sleep. Wake me when the 3 pending UFA dmen are gone.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's absolutely a panic move. The player to go is Merrill, a less physical, slower version of McNabb - but he's the 'glue guy' and Gallant wants to give him more responsibilities this year.

We all crap on Holden but at least he brings decent mobility and offensive instincts.

Anyway, I'm going back into cryogenic sleep. Wake me when the 3 pending UFA dmen are gone.

I must have misunderstood because it seemed your post was indicating that we didn't need defensive help.

I wouldn't want McNabb to go because he and Engelland are our tough physical defensemen and I haven't been so bothered by his play but I would be willing to entertain anyone not Theodore, Schmidt or Hague to give us a clear upgrade.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Schmidt has played a total of 3 1/2 minutes this year. So basically he and Tuch have not played this year. Their returns could be huge and enough to fix the problem.

If not, I think we need to explore a Kadri-Barrie type deal, perhaps trade a C for a D. We can create space for Glass and shore up the weak link of the team. This type of swap certainly seems to have paid off big time for the Avs. This isn't even a playoff team if the blue line keeps performing this atrociously.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Schmidt has played a total of 3 1/2 minutes this year. So basically he and Tuch have not played this year. Their returns could be huge and enough to fix the problem.

If not, I think we need to explore a Kadri-Barrie type deal, perhaps trade a C for a D. We can create space for Glass and shore up the weak link of the team. This type of swap certainly seems to have paid off big time for the Avs. This isn't even a playoff team if the blue line keeps performing this atrociously.

Unlikely. It's gonna take better effort from the players and a change in game prep from the coaching staff. They've got to find their speed again and spend a considerable amount of time in practice drilling passing fundamentals cause the passing has been bad for a year+one month now. Getting Schmidt and Tuch back alone would not be enough to fix these problems.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
I am finding this fire Gallant talk laughable ! There's alot of armchair coaches on here and let's not forget the armchair GM's . GG is one of the best in the league and coaching is probably the strongest part of this team. Management is doing a good job as well. Let's take a look at Gusev......GG had him figured out after one practice last year. Some of you guys thought he was going to be a star. He's a fourth line player on the devils and an AHLer on any top organization. This team isn't going to miss the playoffs. Don't panic !

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I am finding this fire Gallant talk laughable ! There's alot of armchair coaches on here and let's not forget the armchair GM's . GG is one of the best in the league and coaching is probably the strongest part of this team. Management is doing a good job as well. Let's take a look at Gusev......GG had him figured out after one practice last year. Some of you guys thought he was going to be a star. He's a fourth line player on the devils and an AHLer on any top organization. This team isn't going to miss the playoffs. Don't panic !
No one said it's time to fire Gallant. I personally specifically said I'm not even close to suggesting it yet but coaching has not been the strongest part of this team as of late. Scoff all you want about us being armchair coaches but this team has suffered from the same pattern of problems since the same time last year. Problems that are there even when they play well. Problems that after 7 months of regular season hockey have not been addressed.

None of us are pretending we could do his job better but persistent problems that haven't gotten better after a full year is a rather frustrating thing to witness.

The team has had problems with their passing game going back to October of last year. The skating speed relative to the rest of the league has been gradually getting slower every month with more and more teams able to outskate what used to be the indisputed fastest team in the league. All last year and this month this team gets completely confounded by a well structured collapse defense. There were times Chicago didn't even have to move their feet and just had to be in the right spot defensively and we'd try to pass the puck through them to no avail. This has been something I've been bitching about for a year and nothing's changed.

Reactions: hangman005

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Unlikely. It's gonna take better effort from the players and a change in game prep from the coaching staff. They've got to find their speed again and spend a considerable amount of time in practice drilling passing fundamentals cause the passing has been bad for a year+one month now. Getting Schmidt and Tuch back alone would not be enough to fix these problems.

Schmidt and Tuch returning will definitely go a ways to fixing problems but I think it is very correct to say a Stastny for a top 4 RD would serve this team very well.

Of course players need to play better also but they should be looking to shake the team up because the defense as it is, not good enough.

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
The defense in front of Fleury has been atrocious. It wasn't good with Hague out there, but since they replaced Hague with Bischoff it's gotten worse.

The offense has been garbage too. Too much mixing up of the lines. I definitely agree with Vegan Knight that they won't throw a season away. With Fleury the time is now.

VGK will deal picks and a young defenseman to get a solid veteran defenseman if the defense doesn't pick up. Schmidt and Tuch will help, but won't magically fix everything.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Those warm up jerseys looked nice but wow, the cheapest went for over 2100! I was not expecting them to get that high.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
What do you see as the persistent problems ?
When we won two years ago, we drove possession with speed, didn't have to constantly go 200 feet with the other team set up in either the neutral zone or in a box protecting the goalie. We're not doing that now and spending more time in our zone is exposing our weak defense (except for Theo and Schmidt).

Also, Karlsson is a good player, but not a first liner, Pacioretty isn't a 7 million dollar player, and Pirri is an AHLer at best, if not ECHL. Stastny is getting older but is still a smart player, and Smith and Marchy are great. Nosek Reaves and Carrier make a great 4th line too.

The only problem with lousy backup goalies is that we may burn out MAF, who is dynamite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad