GDT: Game 12: Colorado Avalanche Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 3:00PM | Happy Nevada Day

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets fan coming in peace.

I don't get how Cody Glass didn't get credit for the assist on the Karlsson goal, the pass clearly went to Reilly Smith without any interference before it went onto William Karlsson.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Jets fan coming in peace.

I don't get how Cody Glass didn't get credit for the assist on the Karlsson goal, the pass clearly went to Reilly Smith without any interference before it went onto William Karlsson.

I thought he did. He should if he didn't. He needs to be in the top six and his production will skyrocket.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
No one said it's time to fire Gallant. I personally specifically said I'm not even close to suggesting it yet but coaching has not been the strongest part of this team as of late. Scoff all you want about us being armchair coaches but this team has suffered from the same pattern of problems since the same time last year. Problems that are there even when they play well. Problems that after 7 months of regular season hockey have not been addressed.

None of us are pretending we could do his job better but persistent problems that haven't gotten better after a full year is a rather frustrating thing to witness.

The team has had problems with their passing game going back to October of last year. The skating speed relative to the rest of the league has been gradually getting slower every month with more and more teams able to outskate what used to be the indisputed fastest team in the league. All last year and this month this team gets completely confounded by a well structured collapse defense. There were times Chicago didn't even have to move their feet and just had to be in the right spot defensively and we'd try to pass the puck through them to no avail. This has been something I've been *****ing about for a year and nothing's changed.
Adding to that, something I have noticed over the past year and one month, is we don't seem to have any middle ground. We either look great or look like crap. We can't look great every game, that much is a given and even the best teams have a stinker every now in then, either in terms of score or level or play. But we can't seem to play any sort of middling game, where we are ok, not great, not garbage but just ok. We've had Flower earning us wins we don't deserve. I'd be satisfied with some "ok" games, to me it'd be a marked improvement over the Jekyll and Hyde game we've been playing for the last year.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Schmidt and Tuch returning will definitely go a ways to fixing problems but I think it is very correct to say a Stastny for a top 4 RD would serve this team very well.

Of course players need to play better also but they should be looking to shake the team up because the defense as it is, not good enough.
I think it goes to covering up the issues for a time. Last season Minus Schmidts first game back we looked pretty solid for the next 7 or 8 gamesish, and then we yo-yo'd between Great and Crap. When Stone joined the team, we looked great for 7 or 8 games and then looked crap for the next 7 or 8.

Are we a better team with Schmidt and Tuch, most definitely. But these underlying problems occurred last season both With and without them.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Adding to that, something I have noticed over the past year and one month, is we don't seem to have any middle ground. We either look great or look like crap. We can't look great every game, that much is a given and even the best teams have a stinker every now in then, either in terms of score or level or play. But we can't seem to play any sort of middling game, where we are ok, not great, not garbage but just ok. We've had Flower earning us wins we don't deserve. I'd be satisfied with some "ok" games, to me it'd be a marked improvement over the Jekyll and Hyde game we've been playing for the last year.
Well said. But I think to add on to that, even our best games aren't what I'd call the best this team can do.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Probably should have signed Shattenkirk.

Everyone saying they can simply trade for a top 4 defenseman are forgetting one thing...

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think it goes to covering up the issues for a time. Last season Minus Schmidts first game back we looked pretty solid for the next 7 or 8 gamesish, and then we yo-yo'd between Great and Crap. When Stone joined the team, we looked great for 7 or 8 games and then looked crap for the next 7 or 8.

Are we a better team with Schmidt and Tuch, most definitely. But these underlying problems occurred last season both With and without them.

I think they help but I have never stopped thinking we need a legitimate top 4 RD who is a right shot. That would push everyone in our defense where they could be successful and take some pressure off the forwards.

Basically that would mean Stastny needs to be traded. There is no one else. No one else has value, we would be willing to trade and clears enough money to upgrade.

Marchessault? Please.
Karlsson? Get real.
Smith? Not this season.
Stone? Come on.
Tuch? Not on that contract.
Glass? Don't make me laugh.
Fleury? You're dreaming.
Schmidt? No way.
Theodore? Nope.
Eakin? Not worth enough.
Pacioretty? Only other one that could but probably not.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Probably should have signed Shattenkirk.

Everyone saying they can simply trade for a top 4 defenseman are forgetting one thing...

Throw Philly Schuldt, Merrill and a 2nd.

They get a younger, cheaper potential top 4 defenseman who could at least be a defenseman who puts up points that they could use for more time. And a capable Merrill and a 2nd. For a season and a half of Niskanen (essentially Gudas, since that's all he cost).

Then we would have to trade Stastny to clear cap space. But that would give us assets to get a rental third liner at the deadline.

If not that, something similar is possible. We have too many young defense that all need seasoning at the same time anyway, we need to trade at least one because you never want that many on your blue line at the same time.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Throw Philly Schuldt, Merrill and a 2nd.

They get a younger, cheaper potential top 4 defenseman who could at least be a defenseman who puts up points that they could use for more time. And a capable Merrill and a 2nd. For a season and a half of Niskanen (essentially Gudas, since that's all he cost).

Then we would have to trade Stastny to clear cap space. But that would give us assets to get a rental third liner at the deadline.

If not that, something similar is possible. We have too many young defense that all need seasoning at the same time anyway, we need to trade at least one because you never want that many on your blue line at the same time.

Move out Stastny? The guy who almost killed us 2 years ago in the WCF? The guy who put up tons of points in last years playoffs?

Eakin still doesn't look like himself, and he may never be back to 100% after being concussed in the preseason (let's be honest that's what it is, Vegas never lets it get out there that their players have concussions).

The last thing they should do is make short-sighted moves that ruin their depth for the playoffs and next season.

2020-21:
Patches Glass Stone <-proven effective
Marchy WB Smith <-proven effective
Rookie Stastny Tuch <-savy old vet with young buck wings
Carrier Nosek/Roy/Cotter Reavesuntiltheendoftime <-Turkboners

McNabb Schmitt <-proven effective. PMD + PK manly man
Rookie Theodore <-Teddy should be more reliable
Snarly Old Vet - Rookie <-good cop, bad cop

I think a player they might want to target would be DeAngelo. He doesn't fit into NYR's long term plans with Fox & Trouba, and his cap hit works. He'd be able to slot in anywhere in the top 4 and provides toughness and moves the puck well.

19-20:
McNabb Schmidt
Theodore DeAngelo
Merrill/Holden Engelland

20-21:
Schmidt DeAngelo
McNabb Theodore
Snarly Old Vet - Rookie

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Move out Stastny? The guy who almost killed us 2 years ago in the WCF? The guy who put up tons of points in last years playoffs?

Eakin still doesn't look like himself, and he may never be back to 100% after being concussed in the preseason (let's be honest that's what it is, Vegas never lets it get out there that their players have concussions).

The last thing they should do is make short-sighted moves that ruin their depth for the playoffs and next season.

2020-21:

I think a player they might want to target would be DeAngelo. He doesn't fit into NYR's long term plans with Fox & Trouba, and his cap hit works. He'd be able to slot in anywhere in the top 4 and provides toughness and moves the puck well.

19-20:
McNabb Schmidt
Theodore DeAngelo
Merrill/Holden Engelland

20-21:
Schmidt DeAngelo
McNabb Theodore
Snarly Old Vet - Rookie
DeAngelo is small, not great defensively, has been a bit of a head case, and is due a big raise next year. Not worth more than a warm body or a very low draft pick. Right now, Rangers defense is about the only one worse than ours.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

2020-21:

19-20:
McNabb Schmidt
Theodore DeAngelo
Merrill/Holden Engelland

20-21:
Schmidt DeAngelo
McNabb Theodore
Snarly Old Vet - Rookie

I think I'm talking about the Stastny that has two even strength points through 12 games. I think the fact that Glass steps into the NHL and outperforms him with the same linemates calls into question whether he was more the beneficiary of playing with Pacioretty and Stone than they were of playing with him.

I don't think those defenses win a Cup. I think a legitimate top 4 RD is more important than having Stastny on the third line.
We are too top heavy to make the best use of spending to the cap.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I think I'm talking about the Stastny that has two even strength points through 12 games. I think the fact that Glass steps into the NHL and outperforms him with the same linemates calls into question whether he was more the beneficiary of playing with Pacioretty and Stone than they were of playing with him.

I don't think those defenses win a Cup. I think a legitimate top 4 RD is more important than having Stastny on the third line.
We are too top heavy to make the best use of spending to the cap.
Never judge a player strictly on points.

You'd also dump Wild Bill and Marchy on that basis.

Also, One man in one slot isn't going to make 21 other players champions. Ask McJesus

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Perhaps the team's system is a problem for now. The D has been trained to look for quick transitions, but so have the opponents. Add to it a D that is not well trained in how to handle a good forecheck and you see games that don't look like the past versions of the Knights. Nate will help, maybe having two rookies on the third line and benching Engo will help too as their adept puck handling can alleviate a forecheck. What I don't like that I saw was a lot of batting at the puck and switching sides with the puck without a real set up. That's just trying to take the easy way. Against a good forecheck team the answer often is to be patient, assume a safe position where you are unlikely to lose the puck to a dangerous spot and give time for your teammates to support while not compromising defensive zone shape. Throwing pucks to other areas to get away from pressure or trying to make dangerous offensive passes more often leads to disaster.

I remember watching the Kings in their prime and they absolutely killed everyone outside their division because the opponent didn't take this strategy to heart. The toughest games for the Kings were against divisional opponents like the Sharks and Ducks because they knew the Kings needed that forecheck to score many of their goals. If you are in a safe spot near the boards focused on trying to keep the puck worst thing that happens is an opponent has to jostle with you to get control. If you throw the puck into another area because you don't want to battle or don't want to take the contact, all too often it ends up in a clean possession for the opponent and your guys are in the wrong shape to defend it.

Lastly, let's not get too overworked about it. Its still October. Right now the Avs are the better team, really hard to question it. Come April/May they may still be a better team or not. Even if they or another opponent is a better team at that time, better teams lose playoff series all the time. Good to have some clunkers out there early in the season to show where work is needed and to point out where some adjustments might be made, but during a season you can't really change things too much other than to be healthy. There are few magic solutions to problems that can come in mid-season trades and those usually come when some other team decides they are going in a radically different direction. Rare is the chance to be on the other side of that move. Trading for some slightly better defenseman is extremely unlikely to improve the team's prospects. Using what you have in a more efficient and optimal manner is really what you have to do.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Never judge a player strictly on points.

You'd also dump Wild Bill and Marchy on that basis.

Also, One man in one slot isn't going to make 21 other players champions. Ask McJesus

The second line with Stastny hasn't looked great this season, regardless of their lack of 5v5 points.

It would be less one player dragging everyone to glory and more we have already assembled a magnificent roster and one piece used better could make the puzzle fit into place better.

A top 4 RD with experience would allow us to run two defensive pairs 46-47 minutes a night, leaving Engelland, Holden and the rookies only needing 14 minutes of ice time in controlled situations. While taking some pressure off of Theodore to anchor a pair and allowing him to play better.

It would help put everyone where they could have the best opportunity for success.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well according to everyones favorite analyst, Schmidt coming back will solve all Vegas Problems from now until eternity, just like it did last year.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
Well according to everyones favorite analyst, Schmidt coming back will solve all Vegas Problems from now until eternity, just like it did last year.
upload_2019-10-26_17-16-15.jpeg

Reactions: hangman005

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
The second line with Stastny hasn't looked great this season, regardless of their lack of 5v5 points.

It would be less one player dragging everyone to glory and more we have already assembled a magnificent roster and one piece used better could make the puzzle fit into place better.

A top 4 RD with experience would allow us to run two defensive pairs 46-47 minutes a night, leaving Engelland, Holden and the rookies only needing 14 minutes of ice time in controlled situations. While taking some pressure off of Theodore to anchor a pair and allowing him to play better.

It would help put everyone where they could have the best opportunity for success.

I totally agree. I would move Stastny for a blue-liner as well. Lines like the Mackinnon and Marchand ones will always slaughter this defense we currently have. We just don't have the wherewithal to stop talent like that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Getting our #1Dman back (and the most underrated player in the league) will help, yes.
Just like he got the team out of the basement last year.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Getting our #1Dman back (and the most underrated player in the league) will help, yes.
Just like he got the team out of the basement last year.
It will help yes, but I don’t think any of us are naive enough to think it’ll solve all our problems.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It will help yes, but I don’t think any of us are naive enough to think it’ll solve all our problems.

Some of those problems are the way any forward not named Smith is playing 5v5 in both ends, so at least that can be corrected. Takin Pirri out of the lineup is a step in the right direction.

The other problems are Engelland's 5v5 ice time, and the lack of speedy dmen stepping up and closing the gaps(the two are possibly related:sarcasm:).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad