Goal-Day Thread Game 10: Lightning @ Coyotes | 10/27/2018 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Another issue with Strome is that he seemed to be underweight for his size.
He’s most often compared to Thornton and Thornton does not easily get pushed off the puck

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
EVERYTHING went our way last night. Never get too high after a win. There were a couple of fourth line passengers last night, but that was about it. Give the boys credit, but it's only one game.

Yes, and it's about time.

Keller's shot from way out was not screened, and should not have gone through Domingue's 5-hole
Grabner's first shorty (I like how that sounds) was a fluttering thing that would have been stopped if it had any speed on it.
Panik's turn-around shot deflected off one of the Bolts' sticks.

Only a couple negatives, though: despite a good effort on his goal, I didn't see any big improvement from Panik to warrant not sitting him again. Galchenyuk was not a prominent offensive force, despite having five shots.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
So do we know for sure if Strome was a healthy scratch or not? He was playing pretty well. I understand not to their liking, but come on.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
So do we know for sure if Strome was a healthy scratch or not? He was playing pretty well. I understand not to their liking, but come on.

Yeah, are there no reporters in that press-box, or have I misunderstood the expression? "Press-box".

Last edited:

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Fun game to watch! Felt terrible to see Raanta lose the shutout to such a fluke goal/terrible non-offside call.

PP1 shows some signs of life although they are all trying way too hard to set up Gally for the 1-timer, but PP2 is a complete abomination. Watching Gogo start the rush by scanning the entire ice then passing to the 1 player who is standing still and covered by 2 defenders makes me want to vomit. At this point I'd rather watch them set up in the flying V cause it couldn't possible be worse then whatever the hell they're actually trying to do.

That being said, if the PP2 unit is the worst thing about your game then the team is in a good spot right now. Can't wait for Tuesday!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That being said, if the PP2 unit is the worst thing about your game then the team is in a good spot right now. Can't wait for Tuesday!

PP2 I think was the better unit 3-4 games ago. Maybe it just comes and goes.

OEL has really been underwhelming in general on the PP this season.

Also this is neither here nor there but your username makes me chuckle every time :laugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
God forbid we get a follow up question as to why he's a healthy scratch. That might require some independent thought though. Too much to ask from Arizona media.
The only reason why we know he was healthy in the first place is a poster here tweeted Craig asking about it. Pretty sad.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Good players come back and play better after adversity. It's a character builder. Let's see what happens when Strome comes back.
I just can't see Strome ever looking good in that 4th line role with the guys he's playing with. He's not good enough to carry a line offensively, especially from the wing. So unless he scorers on PP2, I don't expect much.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I just can't see Strome ever looking good in that 4th line role with the guys he's playing with. He's not good enough to carry a line offensively, especially from the wing. So unless he scorers on PP2, I don't expect much.
I don't expect much from Strome on any line. The game is too fast for him. He is a great AHL player who couldn't make the leap. Sad, and I hope that I'm wrong.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just a reminder to everyone. Christian Dvorak spent some time doing 4th line duty and being plugged in with “grinders” last year and still managed to work his way up.

Other than his injury situation I hadn’t seen any lasting detrimental effects with his game. Anyone else??

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
So, if I read this correctly, Strome 55.9 % possession is the best among all centers on the Coyotes. Archibald is the worst on the team. I wonder if RT will move Archibald to the first line, he did it with Cousins, so why not Archibald.:sarcasm:
Turns out having your entire game revolving around skating really fast within two feet of the boards yet losing all your board battles, isn't that helpful for the whole hockey thing

Reactions: MIG and Sthlmyote

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
They have decided to manage Strome as you get from A to Z in the alphabet: one letter after the next, slowly but surely. We are at about 'M'.

Will he get to 'Z'? Who knows. But so far, even if it has taken a while, he has made it steadily to 'M'.

I have him getting 30-35 points on the season. This would be reaching 'R'.

He is a turtle. He will take his time, but he will still be standing in the end.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I'm surprised not to see Strome in the lineup. This cannot be good for his confidence.
Yes he's very weak on the puck. But he's been pretty decent this year and improving.
I've been his worst critic but I'd like to see him keep playing. He's deadly on the draw too.
People are saying Alex G. has not been playing well. What game are you watching. This is his first two games of the year, he's shooting the puck and getting involved. It's no coincidence guys like Stepan are thriving on the second line now. I've never been a big Alex fan but he's played well.
The team is looking good . Love our new shorthanded combination. Grabner is deadly on the PKill.

Reactions: Jakey53 and MIG

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just a reminder to everyone. Christian Dvorak spent some time doing 4th line duty and being plugged in with “grinders” last year and still managed to work his way up.

Other than his injury situation I hadn’t seen any lasting detrimental effects with his game. Anyone else??

He's more deferential than he should be despite having a plus shot. Being over managed into the ground to the point where it causes a hitch in a player's game is what I call the "Boedker treatment." It happened under Tippett and it's happening again to Strome and Perlini to a lesser extent. Keller has many positional flaws and is often cherry picking like crazy yet he produces so the opportunity to discipline him is minimal.

The Coyotes have 3 PP goals this year and Strome has two of them. He shouldn't be sitting. You can't coach a guy up in the film room or practice and then not let him use it in an actual game situation. If he was a total liability or the team options that were definitively better than him, it would be different. As it stands, he shouldn't be below Richardson and he sure as shit shouldn't be on the wing over someone like Cousins.

Archibald is hot garbage in every respect yet he gets to dress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad