Goal-Day Thread Game 10: Lightning @ Coyotes | 10/27/2018 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
LOL.... we just beat the best team in the league right now and everyone is bent over a guy who didn’t play......

I love this forum..... :cheers:
And now I have read those 300 posts...yup, still hilarious (and this coming from a guy who as an FLA native would be a TBL fan if the Yotes left)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This! WTF is wrong with you folks? Y'all have Strome on your fantasy teams? I have no idea how we managed to eek out a win without Strome dominating. Look, Strome was making mental errors. He was. Benching a kid to clear his head is a tried and true remedy in the NHL. No biggie. No need to cry over stunting the development of this second coming of a (Half speed) McDavid.
Exactly. Strome will make it or he won't up to him. If we win 7-1, I could care less who is scratched. FYI, he deserves to be scratched, I have seen this coming.

RufusG

May 23, 2017
I have no stats to back this up but my sense was that our zone exits in this game were spectacularly better than against the Canucks. No explanation either, but happy to see it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Exactly. Strome will make it or he won't up to him. If we win 7-1, I could care less who is scratched. FYI, he deserves to be scratched, I have seen this coming.

I have almost zero experience playing or coaching hockey. What weakness do you see in Strome's game?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
1. GREAT win. Yes, we were playing a tired team who just lost a top Dman to injury the night before. You still have to show up. I feel like this was the game people were expecting in game 9, when we were playing Vancouver. Glad that we played ourselves up for this game, even if Tampa did not look like the normal Tampa that we are used to seeing.

2. Coaching decisions are always going to be questioned. Sure, the answers may not satisfy us, but if it makes some logical sense, then I take no issue with sitting Strome (or anyone else, for that matter). This could have been a plan all along with awareness of Tampa's speed and wanting to simply ice a faster lineup. Strome in the pressbox allows him to see some different things that Stepan or Galchenyuk may be doing that Strome can't see for himself in video review. Just because he isn't necessarily doing things that are hurting the team doesn't mean that there can't be time to reinforce and address by sitting a player down for a game or two. The same way that if someone isn't playing well, like Panik, you give him a game or two to focus on what he isn't doing and go from there. You don't need a poor habit that surfaces in video to continue to happen, so if that is a reason to sit a young player, I accept that they are trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes a larger issue. The score of the game is irrelevant with regard to performance relative to who we iced.

3. No question that this team can be this scary good. The first few games of the season, you can't care about whether the goals go in or not. Have to be concerned with how the system was being played. We are doing so many more positive things in the system than last year, and right now, we are just capitalizing through playing smart and staying within our lanes. Most mistakes have been correctable, with some dumb luck on a few of them. Our trendline is sky high right now. Tippett used to do the 10 game looks, and honestly, while there have been some shitty plays by specific players, I can't be upset with how the team has looked overall in the first 10 games. That goal drought at the beginning of the year is looking like an aberration and not a trend, as expected.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I have almost zero experience playing or coaching hockey. What weakness do you see in Strome's game?

He’s really slow. He’s usually in the right position because he’s a smart player, but he’s slow. He’s usually the last guy to the play.

The guy doesn’t battle well. Yes he’s 6’3 but his skate strength is as if he’s 5’6. He can’t stay on his feet when players look to shove him. Dude always falls.

His shot takes forever. When my two year old goes to throw a ball, she winds up as if she’s about to chuck this thing to Dallas. That’s Stromes shot. Easy to stop the shot because you’d have to be blind to not see it coming.

He’s improved from last year. No doubt. He probably deserved to play this game over garbage ass Archibald. It is frustrating because he’s one of the best, if not best face off taker in the league. That should warrant some sort of edge to Archibald who skates circles and ends up on his ass every game.

I get why he’s sat, but he shouldn’t be sitting over Archibald. He’s a bad player and he won’t ever be anything more than a 13th forward

Reactions: MIG

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And you know with this outcome he's scratched again next game. I'm rooting for a trade. Let the kid go somewhere he's appreciated and they actually want to develop him.
I just want wins. I don't care who is playing. IF Strome is scratched it's because of inconsistency, and RT said as much in his last presser. He wasn't talking about Strome, but kids the kids in general. We know Strome can do better than his last three games. Having said that, I would have brought back Panik and sat Archibald. Crouse, Strome and Cousins would have been much better. Cousins is a crappy C. I absolutely love the way Crouse is playing. He doesn't care who he is playing with, he plays the same way. He carried that fourth line last night.

Reactions: kbay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think I've seen a Coyotes team look this focused and engaged in years
EVERYTHING went our way last night. Never get too high after a win. There were a couple of fourth line passengers last night, but that was about it. Give the boys credit, but it's only one game.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
He’s really slow. He’s usually in the right position because he’s a smart player, but he’s slow. He’s usually the last guy to the play.

The guy doesn’t battle well. Yes he’s 6’3 but his skate strength is as if he’s 5’6. He can’t stay on his feet when players look to shove him. Dude always falls.

His shot takes forever. When my two year old goes to throw a ball, she winds up as if she’s about to chuck this thing to Dallas. That’s Stromes shot. Easy to stop the shot because you’d have to be blind to not see it coming.

He’s improved from last year. No doubt. He probably deserved to play this game over garbage ass Archibald. It is frustrating because he’s one of the best, if not best face off taker in the league. That should warrant some sort of edge to Archibald who skates circles and ends up on his ass every game.

I get why he’s sat, but he shouldn’t be sitting over Archibald. He’s a bad player and he won’t ever be anything more than a 13th forward

So what were the qualities that had him drafted 3OA? Vision? Hockey IQ?

I agree that he looks slow.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
So what were the qualities that had him drafted 3OA? Vision? Hockey IQ?

I agree that he looks slow.

For sure. They guy has elite hockey IQ, knows what plays are about to happen. He’s usually in position or close to it.

His biggest issue in my opinion is his skating still. The guy is always near being in the right position, problem is it looks like he’s skating in mud to get there. It’s improved since his draft year, but it’s easily the worst on our team

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He didn't score but I thought Perlini had another good game. That's 4 good games in a row for him.

If Tocchet can get through to Perlini (he pulled him aside at practice 4 games ago), that could really be something. He still has 30-goal potential. Because let's be honest here, if Perlini isn't scoring or if he isn't engaged in the play, he may as well not play. Thankfully that hasn't been the case with him as of late.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
1. GREAT win. Yes, we were playing a tired team who just lost a top Dman to injury the night before. You still have to show up. I feel like this was the game people were expecting in game 9, when we were playing Vancouver. Glad that we played ourselves up for this game, even if Tampa did not look like the normal Tampa that we are used to seeing.

2. Coaching decisions are always going to be questioned. Sure, the answers may not satisfy us, but if it makes some logical sense, then I take no issue with sitting Strome (or anyone else, for that matter). This could have been a plan all along with awareness of Tampa's speed and wanting to simply ice a faster lineup. Strome in the pressbox allows him to see some different things that Stepan or Galchenyuk may be doing that Strome can't see for himself in video review. Just because he isn't necessarily doing things that are hurting the team doesn't mean that there can't be time to reinforce and address by sitting a player down for a game or two. The same way that if someone isn't playing well, like Panik, you give him a game or two to focus on what he isn't doing and go from there. You don't need a poor habit that surfaces in video to continue to happen, so if that is a reason to sit a young player, I accept that they are trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes a larger issue. The score of the game is irrelevant with regard to performance relative to who we iced.

3. No question that this team can be this scary good. The first few games of the season, you can't care about whether the goals go in or not. Have to be concerned with how the system was being played. We are doing so many more positive things in the system than last year, and right now, we are just capitalizing through playing smart and staying within our lanes. Most mistakes have been correctable, with some dumb luck on a few of them. Our trendline is sky high right now. Tippett used to do the 10 game looks, and honestly, while there have been some ****ty plays by specific players, I can't be upset with how the team has looked overall in the first 10 games. That goal drought at the beginning of the year is looking like an aberration and not a trend, as expected.

Good post. The reason why we could be scary good is because of talent not the system. This team has more talent than any other team in probably the last ten or more years. Last night, all the kids and vets were hitting on all eight cylinders. It's only one game, and I said at the start of the season, year four of the rebuild, this team has to be in the playoffs, and if not, they better be in the running till the end. Most were wondering what kind of player Crouse, Perlini, Fischer and a few others would become. Last night they showed what they can do, they just have to learn to do it with consistency. It was a great confidence booster for the kids.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He didn't score but I thought Perlini had another good game. That's 4 good games in a row for him.

If Tocchet can get through to Perlini (he pulled him aside at practice 4 games ago), that could really be something. He still has 30-goal potential. Because let's be honest here, if Perlini isn't scoring or if he isn't engaged in the play, he may as well not play. Thankfully that hasn't been the case with him as of late.
All Perlini has to do is skate and everything good happens. With his speed, he draws players to him. A good example was that Stepan's goal. With his size and skill, it was nice seeing him screen the goalie. Same goes for Crouse.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Weirdly enough for a 7-1 game I think Tampa sucked more than we were good. Not that we played poorly or anything, but every facet of their game looked like ass. Not at all what I expected from a team that talented. We certainly capitalized on their mistakes though, which is great to see.

Grabner is amazing, his PK skills in particular are just unreal. If we can get the PP to even average our special teams play will be huge.

What are you talking about? I thought that was our best game of the year. Everyone came to play. Tampa has a very deep team, the only reason it looked bad was the score. LD was not good, but Tampa never gave up. Like you said, we capitalized on their mistakes. Our PK was one of the main differences in the game. IF Tampa scores and we don't get a short handed goal, it would have been a much closer game.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Weirdly enough for a 7-1 game I think Tampa sucked more than we were good. Not that we played poorly or anything, but every facet of their game looked like ass. Not at all what I expected from a team that talented. We certainly capitalized on their mistakes though, which is great to see.

Grabner is amazing, his PK skills in particular are just unreal. If we can get the PP to even average our special teams play will be huge.

Tampa Bay was missing one of the best defensive players in the game and Domingue was in goal. Using that logic I can see where you arrive at said conclusion. Nikita and Stamkos, however, were non-factors. That's pretty damned amazing that Coyotes pulled that off. On paper Tampa should have won still but as that saying goes "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth".

Coyotes drew blood early and did not relent.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tampa Bay was missing one of the best defensive players in the game and Domingue was in goal. Using that logic I can see where you arrive at said conclusion. Nikita and Stamkos, however, were non-factors. That's pretty damned amazing that Coyotes pulled that off. On paper Tampa should have won still but as that saying goes "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth".

Coyotes drew blood early and did not relent.
Relentless is exactly what the Coyotes were. If they work this hard every game, they’ll win a lot more games than I expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad