Goal-Day Thread Game 10: Lightning @ Coyotes | 10/27/2018 6:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I don't understand - the game plan is executed better than it most likely ever has under RT and this forum finds fault in a simple benching. I know folks basically live to piss & moan around here but - smh.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is funny, do you even watch Richardson play, he is one of our best forwards on D? He has been solid in all 3 zones, and fantastic on the second best PK in the NHL. He won't be scratched for Strome any time soon.
That's a bit of a strawman, my friend. I didn't say Richardson should be scratched. I was responding to a post about the alignment of 4 lines at 5on5. I said that he's been our least effective forward (in the context of 5v5), not that he's been a net negative, all-things-considered. I don't think he's bad. I think he's so cooling to his line in the offensive zone, five v five that he should be given the least offensively effective wingers on the team. That mitigates the negatives he brings to the lineup and accentuates his positives.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So you agree that players should be scratched after 2 poor games? Starts well, plays better than most of the roster even, has a few mediocre games, a few bad ones. Then scratch? Where's the logic?
Why wouldn't it be better to see if Strome can adjust while playing like NHL players have to do?

Reduced minutes is one thing. Stuck on the wing on the 4th line, where we already know he's completely ineffective as a player, and then scratched after being ineffective where it's known does not make any sense.

It would really be better if you replied to specific points otherwise you're just blanket assigning positions.

Because you are erecting a strawman that people are saying he has to be on the 2nd line and can't move. I don't think most people are saying that. Heck read the suggested combos right above yours. Can I get a show of hands of people who think he should play more minutes than Galchenyuk and Stepan? I'm guessing that number is pretty close to 0.

I am saying for the good of this organization in the future he has to play center. If he's bad it will prove out and we will not have to deal with this in another 6 months which is a good in and of itself. If he's bad consistently over a few weeks or a month, sure scratch him demote him whatever. You'll find I didn't complain much at all about his demotion last season, other then that there wasn't much logic to it.

How many games is Strome playing 12-14 minutes a night going to cost the team and why do we care?

I also flat out disagree they are strikingly different. They are very similar in most ways except x's and o's.

The immediate goal of a team is often not winning every game possible. When is it prudent to give a player a stretch to games to see what you have? never? only in tank seasons? Only after you've been eliminated from the playoffs? Teams in all sports do this at times. We aren't proposing something out of left field here.

What is the logic of scratching him after 4-5 pretty good games, 2 mediocre ones and 2 bad ones? Why didn't say Perlini receive the same treatment after the first 3 games cause he was worse then than Strome at any point this season.

It's not a "victim" card. I think it's a mistake to mismanage your talent in this way and it will bite this team long term.

I'm not asking for you guys to write a dissertation, though it wouldn't hurt. But say why it's a good idea to scratch him for some nebulous teaching when it's more likely just inconsistency that every young player goes through. Learning to play through your ups and downs is an important skill and one Strome specifically needs to improve on. He's not going to do that playing wing to Nicky Cousins then getting scratched because he was put in a position he was never going to be successful in.
The goal is always winning at this time of year anyway. You make the assumption that Strome played well for 4 or 5 games, maybe that wasn't the case. I watch him pretty closely and I didn't think he was contributing when we didn't have the puck in the O zone the first handful of games. I don't think his scratch is because of 1 or 2 poor games.

I think a number of posters have a skewed view of players like Archibald/Cousins/Kconn because they are looked at as players without much upside while players like Duke/Runblad/Strome have way more upside. It distorts an objective view of their actual play in a game. As a coach, you need results and that is based on your play, not your name, your salary, or your draft position. It's a different perspective than that of fans.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That’s nuts. Richardson is a complete black hole defensively and is the worst player on that roster by a good margin.
I just realized I typed “defensively” instead of “offensively”. My bad!!!

That whole post was confusing actually. My point is that I like Richardson the 4th line and on the PK. I hate when he gets too many 5v5 mins or any ice time with offensively talented forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad