GDT: GAME #10: LEAFS @ JETS | Wed, Oct 24 @ 7PM ET | Bell MTS Place | SN1, SN360,NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
Funny how Maurice has moved Laine up with the top line just in time for the Leafs. Kid is off to a horrible start 3 goals on the season and all on the PP for the one trick pony. Wouldn't be surprised if he breaks out of it tonight. I hope not. Leafs need to have someone on him when playing shorthanded, take away that shot cuz thats all he has. Babcock hasn't done it in the past, hopefully they do tonight. Everyone has looked horrible for the most part last couple games time for the big boys to show up again. Go Leafs.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Funny how Maurice has moved Laine up with the top line just in time for the Leafs. Kid is off to a horrible start 3 goals on the season and all on the PP for the one trick pony. Wouldn't be surprised if he breaks out of it tonight. I hope not. Leafs need to have someone on him when playing shorthanded, take away that shot cuz thats all he has. Babcock hasn't done it in the past, hopefully they do tonight. Everyone has looked horrible for the most part last couple games time for the big boys to show up again. Go Leafs.

Just an FYI,

PMO moved Laine to the top line partway thru the Hawks game to try and spark something with the Jets top six who were playing poorly during that game. Overall the Jets top six has been poor the entire season to-date. Jets best line has been the Lowry line by a fair margin when considering all factors.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Best guess for both lineup tomorrow night:

Projected Lineup

:leafs
(6-3-0)

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Lindholm-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Gauthier-Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov

Andersen

I remember thinking at the start of the year how we had one of the best offensive rosters in decades... but looking at these line combos... it looks pretty meh. Not having Nylander hurts. Hyman craps up the first line and Marner and Tavares aren't clicking as well as they should. Matthews and Kapanen have been good... Marleau has been kind of meh. Either way, Matthews doesn't really have an elite winger... just two mediocre wingers. Third line is not scary at all. Such a meh line. Fourth line is alright I guess, but it's a 4th line.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Try this. I know Johnsson hasn't been great so far... but let's give him a chance. Leivo looked good on the 4th line... let's see how he looks with some real skill.

Johnsson - Matthews - Marner
Leivo - Tavares - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman
Lindholm - Goat - Brown

and we gotta get Hainsey off that top pairing.

Reactions: JayDog17

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Matthews needs to skate tonight. The difference between the first 6 games and the last two have been he wasn't skating as effortlessly and as powerful as he was.

Did he tweak something (last two games Matthews looks a lot like injured back Matthews)?

Did the scoring go to his head?

Linemates aren't good enough?

Just two off games?

We'll find out tonight if this is a trend or not. We need him hard on the puck tonight, and we need Kapenen to play like he did his first three games as well (he has stopped moving his feet. The adrenaline from getting the promotion has faded and he is regressing back into going through the motions).

If they come out flat to start I hope Babs starts mixing up the lines. Throw Marner out with Kadri again, throw out a Tavares line with Matthews on the wing for a shift. Put Marner on the top line with Matthews after an icing. Bring Kadri up to the wing with Tavres and Marner.

Let's go pumped for tonight.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I remember thinking at the start of the year how we had one of the best offensive rosters in decades... but looking at these line combos... it looks pretty meh. Not having Nylander hurts. Hyman craps up the first line and Marner and Tavares aren't clicking as well as they should. Matthews and Kapanen have been good... Marleau has been kind of meh. Either way, Matthews doesn't really have an elite winger... just two mediocre wingers. Third line is not scary at all. Such a meh line. Fourth line is alright I guess, but it's a 4th line.

Marner and Tavares are over a PPG.. And they're 3rd in GF/G through 9 games without Nylander and subpar secondary scoring. And all of this with the understanding that they still have yet to fully click on the ice.

Yes... Definitely 'meh'

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews needs to skate tonight. The difference between the first 6 games and the last two have been he wasn't skating as effortlessly and as powerful as he was.

Did he tweak something (last two games Matthews looks a lot like injured back Matthews)?

Did the scoring go to his head?

Linemates aren't good enough?

Just two off games?

We'll find out tonight if this is a trend or not. We need him hard on the puck tonight, and we need Kapenen to play like he did his first three games as well (he has stopped moving his feet. The adrenaline from getting the promotion has faded and he is regressing back into going through the motions).

If they come out flat to start I hope Babs starts mixing up the lines. Throw Marner out with Kadri again, throw out a Tavares line with Matthews on the wing for a shift. Put Marner on the top line with Matthews after an icing. Bring Kadri up to the wing with Tavres and Marner.

Let's go pumped for tonight.
he had 6 shots against the blues and over 70 cf%. the difference is his shooting percentage is normalizing, as he's obviously not going to score on 50% of his shots

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Try this. I know Johnsson hasn't been great so far... but let's give him a chance. Leivo looked good on the 4th line... let's see how he looks with some real skill.

Johnsson - Matthews - Marner
Leivo - Tavares - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman
Lindholm - Goat - Brown

and we gotta get Hainsey off that top pairing.

As a Jets fan and watching Ron "the negotiator" Hainsey play for the Jets, please don't move him from top pairing. Thx.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
NO NOT MARINCIN AAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Scratch Ennis and put Lindholm or Johnsson on Matthews wing. Marleau needs to go to Kadri's line, he's really dragging the Matthews unit down.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
he had 6 shots against the blues and over 70 cf%. the difference is his shooting percentage is normalizing, as he's obviously not going to score on 50% of his shots

I don't care what the underlying numbers look like. The eye test he hasn't passed is the issue. His chances have not been dangerous, he isn't getting into the dangerous areas, he is kept to the outside and not able to sustain pressure in their zone.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I don't really care what your eyetest says

To be fair, your eye test means nothing to anyone.

You guys are being complete homers like usual. No way you guys can say Matthews looked good the last two games unless you are wearing blue tinted glasses.

And I have been more correct about players on here than most of you for a few years now so not exactly shook up over not getting your glowing support of my talent evaluation.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
so let me get this straight?
people say that Matthews needs to skate and be more dangerous.
the counter was statistically Matthews had several shots etc.
the follow up was - yes, but those chances weren't dangerous or maintain pressure
so the conclusion is well, who cares what you see?

ookay.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I don't care what the underlying numbers look like. The eye test he hasn't passed is the issue. His chances have not been dangerous, he isn't getting into the dangerous areas, he is kept to the outside and not able to sustain pressure in their zone.

It's almost like people here are incapable of giving opposing players credit for playing AM tough and close.

Much easier to blame Matthews then it is to be realistic I guess.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Yet he still leads the league in points and goals... damn he's playing horrible.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
It's almost like people here are incapable of giving opposing players credit for playing AM tough and close.

You can play a guy well but also see that they are not skating as hard or going to the dirty areas as much.

Yet he still leads the league in points and goals... damn he's playing horrible.

Haha what? What a strawman. Did I say he looked like shit this season? I said he was poor the last two games compared to his start which is 100% true. The first 6 games or whatever he passed the eye test and it had nothing to do with him scoring. He was strong on the puck, aggressive on the boards, and hungry. Last two games he is just looking happy to be there.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

or.. it could be both.
it's not blaming Matthews to say he wasn't really impactful.

the opposing players played him relatively tough, however, I don't remember (esp. the STL game that Matthews really had an impactful moment). which oh well. you can't do that all the time. to which it was said that Matty needs to try to step up and be better. (this would imply, regardless of how the opposing players playing him tough he needs to step above that and torch them, as gamechangers often do).

that's not what he said.
all was said was the last two games that Matthews hasn't really been a threat.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The boys are going up against a great squad with size. Should be a good game. Hopefully TO will show up and grab the two points.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The boys are going up against a great squad with size. Should be a good game. Hopefully TO will show up and grab the two points.

well. the thing is.
im more intrigued if the Leafs can rip off another 3-4 wins. really good/elite teams stop 2 game losing streaks and pile up more wins. we can all acknowledge that even the best teams will lose about 25 games, but the more important thing is is how many space between losses are.

Reactions: Brock Radunske
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad