GDT: Game 10: Canada Vs Russia | 1PM EST 7PM CET | RUS 6 - 0 CAN

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
There have been years where I've been worried because the team hasn't faced any adversity until the medal round and you just don't know how they're going to respond.

I will say that this is a lot more adversity than I had in mind.

The Russians could be busy celebrating their historical win against Canada and then get dummied by a pretty potent USA offence.

It's an interesting tournament this year.
I’m hoping Russia is fat and happy with their Canadian feast so will be off their game against my US team.

Reactions: NyQuil

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I don't think they will but, if they do, good on them.

That being said, my guess, the Gold Medal winner comes from this pool - all this adversity will make these teams better.
I agree. However, who created the two groups? This is an honest Q because I don’t know why one group would be absolutely stacked while the other is not easy per se but definitely not the mine field of the other group.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I agree. However, who created the two groups? This is an honest Q because I don’t know why one group would be absolutely stacked while the other is not easy per se but definitely not the mine field of the other group.
It is based on last year's results.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Big upsets in the quarters are what create these ridiculous groups....Like Canada and Sweden losing in them last year. Germany coming up from the lower division with a stronger then normal team helps as well.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
LOL, your salt is still showing.

I'm pretty sure this is the worst coached Canadian team in tournament history, given that this was the worst loss in tournament history, both in terms of score and in terms of performance.

So the US look even worse in retrospect, no?

If it's not the coaching, maybe the US roster just isn't as good as you think it is.
Worst coached team in tournament history? You obviously don’t remember Steve Spott.......

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Big upsets in the quarters are what create these ridiculous groups....Like Canada and Sweden losing in them last year. Germany coming up from the lower division with a stronger then normal team helps as well.
Finland beating us in the quarters last year wasn’t an upset.

They were tourney favourites going into it

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Seeing the replays of the goals, the Russians had open access to the front of Canada’s net.

It was the polar opposite at the other end of the ice.

Yeah, they weren’t quite able to handle it when the Russians changed positions offensively. They also had problems with Russia’s aggressive man man defense.

It’s a long tournament. In a game like this you need to dig down and take away the ice and let the other team tire itself out. But, a team full of kids wanting to set the world on fire often does the complete opposite. That is why this tournament is so fun, but it will result in some stinkers result wise.

As a Swede, I know all to well that these games are more or less meaningless...

Reactions: Czechboy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hopefully the injury isn't anything serious especially given it's his draft year.

I'm still drafting that kid first overall even if he shows up to the draft in a wheelchair, but I'm happy for him that it didn't turn out to be a catastrophic injury. You always worry about a torn ACL in a collision like that...

Reactions: Anichels

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I feel sorry for whoever gets the crappy job of cleaning up all the steaming coils Canada's players left on the ice

A lot of controller disconnected moments in this one

Reactions: Tube Skates

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Both teams should put that game out of their memories, Canada for obvious reasons and Russia to avoid a letdown against a rested, capable opponent tomorrow. That was a perfect storm game.

This tourney is shaping up to be a wild ride.

Reactions: Startseva

Startseva

Dec 30, 2012
Moscow
I do not understand those fans who starting to hate own team in bad moments. I do not care about Canada's team but you are forcing me to say a word to put some fair here. Just stop crying. Reminds me of some our fans after the lost to the CZ (fire Bragin, change the hockey head, our team should go home!). WJC is WJC, you should remember that. It's a lot about psychology.

In 2011 Russia lost to Canada 3:6 on the group game, then lost the game against Sweden. The final result is well-known with 5 goals in the third period.
In 2012 in semis Russia was leading 6:1 and in the 10 mins Canada made 6:5. Who knows maybe in the other day you would be more sucessful.
In 2013 Russia lost in group game to Canada on home ice 1:4. But won in the bronze medal game 6:5.

You have f*ck*ng everything to repeat something like that. Absolutely. Even aftrer today's game. It might be unpleasant for someone's ego to lose 6:0 but the score means nothing. Your team played well in the game with the USA and spent all emotions there, as one of the reasons you lost today.

Our team used chanses, somewhere got lucky, played fine in defence and overall disciplined (which was not enough with the Czechs). I wouldn't make big conclusions at all. As well as Canadian team spent a lot of emotions in the previous game — our team spent all they had today and in this sense I am expecting hard game with the USA. I hope Bragin will explain them well who they are and will put them on the ground in the best Russian traditions with a man-to-man talk.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad