GDT: Game 10: Canada Vs Russia | 1PM EST 7PM CET | RUS 6 - 0 CAN

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If I was a betting person, I'd bet on Canada winning this pool.

3 of the most likely outcomes from tomorrow's Russia/U.S. game favour Canada - U.S. win in regulation, U.S. win in O.T., Russian win in O.T.

If Canada wins their 2 remaining games, they should win the pool. If they don't, they don't deserve the easier path.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I dont think it is possible, but imagine if Canada missed playoffs. TSN would be in tears.
Not when 4 teams make the playoffs from each pool. Too many in my book - it makes the round robin unimportant, but it allows TSN to sleep better at night.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If I was a betting person, I'd bet on Canada winning this pool.

3 of the most likely outcomes from tomorrow's Russia/U.S. game favour Canada - U.S. win in regulation, U.S. win in O.T., Russian win in O.T.

If Canada wins their 2 remaining games, they should win the pool. If they don't, they don't deserve the easier path.

Canada just needs to win next 2 games and get 6 points ( 3 per win ) to avoid relegation round.
That shouldn't be big deal or though task for this Team Canada.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Tough loss for Canada, though not surprising. They barely beat the worst coached US team in tournament history, so against a strong Russia team this was quite predictable.

You got a thing for this statement, don't you?

Saying your team would have won if you had a better coach isn't much different from saying your team would have won if you had better players.

Actually a lot of people did. Including Don Cherry

Ain't it funny how all the "OMG Cherry is such a pro-Canada xenophobe!" mental midgets forget this?

Of course it will be remembered.

We'll make up a big story about how it was the big turning point of the tournament.

We all remember Gretzky's rant at the Olympics in 2002. Canada weren't exactly playing very well in the round-robin.

Thank god for Mario Lemieux to get us to the Finals.

I think that was more memorable for some because it reinstated their belief that Gretzky was a Canadian patriot. A lot of fans felt he sold out to the Hollywood lifestyle and this moment reminded everyone that he didnt forget his roots. Atleast that's what I got out of it

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Again, if I was a betting man, I'd bet on Canada winning the pool.

Germany and Czech Republic aren't any talent measures for Canada.
You guys have more skill and talent than both of those teams together.
Yes surprises can happen.

But there's no way Canada ends up to relegation round
without complete meltdowns by the goalies and defense.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Tough loss for Canada, though not surprising. They barely beat the worst coached US team in tournament history, so against a strong Russia team this was quite predictable.
Canada dominated USA at 5 on 5, re-watch the tape. Top players for USA did nothing 5 on 5, they got ice-time but only on the PP could make plays. USA's defence is far behind the top 4 teams in this tournament as well.

I'm cheering for USA tomorrow but their most skilled players are 18 years old with an inferior defence to their opponents most games. Not a recipe for success.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Germany and Czech Republic aren't any talent measures for Canada.
You guys have more skill and talent than both of those teams together.

Yes surprises can happen.
But there's no way Canada ends up to relegation round without complete meltdowns for goalies and defense.
Fair enough and I agree with you. :)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada dominated USA at 5 on 5, re-watch the tape. Top players for USA did nothing 5 on 5, they got ice-time but only on the PP could make plays. USA's defence is far behind the top 4 teams in this tournament as well.

I'm cheering for USA tomorrow but their most skilled players are 18 years old with an inferior defence to their opponents most games. Not a recipe for success.
Let's not talk about the U.S. here, please.

God knows, the Canada / Russia game has enough interesting story lines.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I Was Hoping it Was A Nightmare

I’ve been visiting my in-laws in South Korea for the last two weeks. Two things I have to give up are smoking vitamin-M that I loyally purchase at my favourite dispensaries in Winnipeg, and watching hockey on the regular as there’s a 14 hour time difference.

One of the side effects of going cold turkey on the vitamin-M is whacky dreams, and yes, I’ve had them every night since arriving. Yesterday I planned to go to bed early and wake up at 3am to watch Team Canada and Russia play. I hate missing WJC so the effort is 100% worth it - no internal debate required!

I woke up via internal alarm at 2:58 and found a nice looking stream online. I kept watching that fiasco until about 5mins into the third when I finally accepted that I was participating in a form of self torture. So I quietly tiptoed back into bed with my wife.

Five hours of slumber pass.

About 20 minutes ago I wake up to a lovely sunny Korean morning and jump out of bed.

“Maybe it was all a nightmare!!!”

I rush to my phone and open tsn.ca, after a small struggle through their terrible website, I eventually confirm to my dismay that Canada lost 6-0 to Russia and Laf got badly hurt.

God, please send me some vitamin-M. I’m suddenly feeling a dreadfully deficiency.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I’m sure the Russians were surprised as anyone to be up 6-0.

If the Canadians are upset about it, hopefully it inspires them to play better.

I don’t believe that Canada is somehow consummate professionals when they score against big rivals. Laf was rubbing the logo pretty hard after he scored the big game winning goal.

Imagine if that had been a Russian? We’d be sitting around here talking about celebrating too hard.

Give me a break.
That is a tied game though and he answers 7 seconds after...any of the teams playing would have responded in that manner...give me a break, go have another Nyquil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That is a tied game though and he answers 7 seconds after...any of the teams playing would have responded in that manner...give me a break, go have another Nyquil

Yeah, and Canadians would be annoyed nonetheless. "He's celebrating like he won the Cup."

The luxury of winning is you can celebrate. We lost today. Just suck it up.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Yeah, and Canadians would be annoyed nonetheless. "He's celebrating like he won the Cup."

The luxury of winning is you can celebrate. We lost today. Just suck it up.
Don’t have an issue with today, I do have an issue with you comparing celebrating a 6-0 goal vs a goal to go up one late in the game...huge difference

Reactions: Dave Karp

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don’t have an issue with today, I do have an issue with you comparing celebrating a 6-0 goal vs a goal to go up one late in the game...huge difference

It's more a reflection on how some people just get upset when they see someone else celebrate.

They should ban the words "...like they just won the Cup" on this board because it comes up all the time.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
While being taken seriously by Canada feels pretty awesome, this might be a hot take. :naughty:
I have no doubt you guys are furious about the loss to Russia and take all your anger out on us. This probably won't end well for us, lol.
If we look the way we do today I don’t we have any chance LOL. Just depends what team shows up I guess. I don’t know this team as well as I thought I guess

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
While being taken seriously by Canada feels pretty awesome, this might be a hot take. :naughty:
I have no doubt you guys are furious about the loss to Russia and take all your anger out on us. This probably won't end well for us, lol.

Meh, I haven't seen a German team play better at this tournament.

Canada is reeling and their best player is out.

I'd be more confident than usual if I was a fan of Deutschland.

Then again, this tournament is a weird one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad