GDT: Game # 10 Bruins ( 7-1-1 ) @ Barfalo (5-6-1 ) Part Deux

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Another stellar road game.

Dobby is looking like a proven NHL goalie.

We are witnessing Bruins' history with their blistering start of 17pts in 1st 10 games.

The B's have been a good road team for a few years now. That's so important, especially in the play-offs.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
No kidding, but their PK is so good it almost makes up for their lousy PP.

People have been saying that since we lost Marc Savard. It doesn't cut it anymore.

Having a man advantage, and chasing the puck around for 2 minutes is a blown opportunity. Lets face it, this is pretty much as defense first as you get. They aren't the 88 Oilers, nor even the current Oilers. They HAVE to be opportunistic.

Going 2 mins w/o a shot on the PP equates to not getting a shot on goal on a 2 on 1break. That's all a PP is, somewhere on that ice is a 2 on 1, and you have to find it or make it happen. They're just too talented not to.

Buffalo sucks. Yet, they were within one shot of tying that game up until late in the 3rd. Unacceptable when you have that many PP chances, including a 5 on 3.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I have to agree. The Bruins are wasting real opportunities by failing to fix the PP.

Not sure how much of it is coaching or how much is mental, but I think both are coming into play.

I really am at the point where I think the fix is to send out a regular shift of 3 forwards and 2 defensemen and tell them to play like it is 5 on 5. The Bruins often cycle the puck and find the seams when it is 5 on 5, how do they fail to do the same with a man advantage?

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
I really hate seeing Krejci and Bourque (or any forward for that matter) on the point on the powerplay.

I wish we would just run 2 regular PP lines.

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Chara-Hamilton

Bourque/Bergeron/Marchand
Seidenberg/Boychuk

Dump the puck in, forecheck, get possession, skate, shoot, repeat. If they clear, get it back and dump it back in and just keep doing it. Nothing special. Puck possession. Just stop blowing all momentum already!!!!

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
People have been saying that since we lost Marc Savard. It doesn't cut it anymore.

Having a man advantage, and chasing the puck around for 2 minutes is a blown opportunity. Lets face it, this is pretty much as defense first as you get. They aren't the 88 Oilers, nor even the current Oilers. They HAVE to be opportunistic.

Going 2 mins w/o a shot on the PP equates to not getting a shot on goal on a 2 on 1break. That's all a PP is, somewhere on that ice is a 2 on 1, and you have to find it or make it happen. They're just too talented not to.

Buffalo sucks. Yet, they were within one shot of tying that game up until late in the 3rd. Unacceptable when you have that many PP chances, including a 5 on 3.

Agreed on all accounts. This has to be a focus at the deadline. Would certainly help if our two lethargic top line RWers would show up.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
coupla things::

1. the other night, Habs game i think, Vanek was trying not to go offsides and was strattling the blue line. he was wincing - gotta think groin cuz he floated last night and tonight.

2. i still worry bout Bergy every time he gets hit in the head and i really don't have to. - by the bye, that gentle push into the goal post seemed like intent to injure from my seat.

3. Kaleta is right up there with Ulf on my all-time dislike team.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
3. Kaleta is right up there with Ulf on my all-time dislike team.

Kaleta is a punk and is on my "I don't ever want to see that guy on my team" list, which isn't really that long (I have a much longer "I hate that guy, but would love him if he played for the Bruins" list).

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

I know they have to vastly improve the PP if they want to contend for the Cup again, but the PK (and goaltending) have been big factors in the B's best season start in their history.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I'd rather them replace the pp first than start looking for potential guys to come in thinking they'll help the pp.

The plays are the same for the last 4 years. Its still broken and its not being fixed. Our pp shouldn't be this bad. Savard has been gone for 3 years now. Time to start finding out what the real problem is.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Bruins' PP is what it is because the forwards don't move enough when the D has the puck. In past years that is what I have noticed, this year I can not say I have paid much attention to them to say if it's the same.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The PP frustration highlights the lack of a prime time shooter among our forwards, not playmaking IMO. Seguin and Horton are our closest forwards I would consider " shooters " but both have struggled to let it rip on the PP.

The reason why we're so good at 5 on 5 is because of positional structure and depth. On the PP, when the forwards have the puck, it's always on the outside...and then when the major shooter of our PP is on the blueline, all a PK team has to do on the Bruins is run a high/low tight box, bottle the inside, and it just snuffs out our chances. Tonight we were able to get in the middle of the ice and a good look at Miller. If we're going to score PP goals, we need to find a way to gain control of that middle ice in the offensive zone between the circles.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I know they have to vastly improve the PP if they want to contend for the Cup again, but the PK (and goaltending) have been big factors in the B's best season start in their history.

I get that. Think of how scary they would be if they had a PP. And, THEN you had to face that defense and goaltending to get that goal back?

That's what they should be, but aren't.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'd rather watch a a good penalty kill. The Bruins are great killing penalties.

I almost creamed my pants when Chara went in alone on Miller shorthanded. Great shift on Chara...it's not often you see a defenseman on the breakaway shorthanded. I think he had one earlier in his Bruins career that he scored on if I remember right.

5Minutes4Fighting

Light the Lamp!
Apr 9, 2010
Northern NJ
They are too stationary on the PP. But the biggest problem is that they'd rather make too many passes instead of shooting the puck. The best way to score is to shoot. Goals / Juicy Rebounds / Deflections off defenders / recovery & reset. All good outcomes. Why they insist on passing back to the point when they have the puck at the wall at the dot or deeper kills me. Where is Cam Neely / Tim Kerr (yeah not ours) / etc type player who plants themselves in front of the net and takes whacks until they get the deflection or rebound goal? Throw it at the net as much as you can. Don't look for the perfect play. The garbage goals count the same as the pretty highlight reel multi-pass ones.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I actually think having a good PK is more advantageous than having a good PP and the Bruins PK is a thing of beauty.

Not many teams can run 3 sets of excellent PKing forwards-and our defensement are no slouches either. Boychuk IMO has improved a lot with his PK this year.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I actually think having a good PK is more advantageous than having a good PP and the Bruins PK is a thing of beauty.

Not many teams can run 3 sets of excellent PKing forwards-and our defensement are no slouches either. Boychuk IMO has improved a lot with his PK this year.

Boychuk is nearly 100 percent on getting the puck out of the zone when he slaps it against the glass.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I really hate seeing Krejci and Bourque (or any forward for that matter) on the point on the powerplay.

I wish we would just run 2 regular PP lines.

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Chara-Hamilton

Bourque/Bergeron/Marchand
Seidenberg/Boychuk

Dump the puck in, forecheck, get possession, skate, shoot, repeat. If they clear, get it back and dump it back in and just keep doing it. Nothing special. Puck possession. Just stop blowing all momentum already!!!!

I have no idea as to what the logic of having Krejci on the point for pp would be. The only forward I've seen actually be useful at it was Fedorov. Removing one of our best forwards that doesn't have a booming slap shot and sitting him on the blue line is a waste. The mixing of whatever forwards they can mash together for the pp is also irritating. Our lines end up running around with no chemistry because they aren't use to their linemates.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I almost creamed my pants when Chara went in alone on Miller shorthanded. Great shift on Chara...it's not often you see a defenseman on the breakaway shorthanded. I think he had one earlier in his Bruins career that he scored on if I remember right.

i was hoping he had another step on the guy chasing him. would've loved to see him wind up and score...or hammer miller in the chops.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I have no idea as to what the logic of having Krejci on the point for pp would be. The only forward I've seen actually be useful at it was Fedorov. Removing one of our best forwards that doesn't have a booming slap shot and sitting him on the blue line is a waste. The mixing of whatever forwards they can mash together for the pp is also irritating. Our lines end up running around with no chemistry because they aren't use to their linemates.

Bergeron had success as one of the pointmen on the PP in his two 70 point seasons.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

He pulls that backhand, it's a Mario highlight, as Miller had to commit to his circus freak like reach on the forehand. But he was so gassed. :laugh:

The one you're talking a/b I think he ripped top corner, same side. Just didn't get the height he wanted on Miller.

My favorite will always be taking a full 105 mph slapshot on the shoot-out attempt. Goalie didn't even move. I wish he had room to do that tonight. Miller would be complaining post game right now.

"I just hung around to tell you guys that i used to respect Chara. But he has a breakaway and shoots the puck 105 mph from 15 feet away? That's gutless..... GUTLESS!!!"

KCBRUIN

Tuukka Time
Nov 11, 2010
Kansas City Mo.
PP needs to be built around Lucic on one unit and Horton on the other. Dump the puck in, and 17/18 park in front of the net. Cycle and put as many shots on net as you can, and let them punch the dirty goals in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad