GDT: Game # 10 Bruins ( 7-1-1 ) @ Barfalo (5-6-1 ) Part Deux

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Dobby ? I prefer Khudini

Pretty sure that is his actual nickname-he has it on his goalie mask.

And I cant complain about either effort he has made this season-I am pretty sure there are teams out there who would love to have him as a back up.

One thing I noticed last night compared to the previous game with the Sabres-the defense was definitely more solid, but each line was really back checking well-and the back check frustrated the Sabres. I think when this team really lets speed beat them, they are often lazy about the back check, but when they are back checking the other team-even if it has some speed, can't generate much.

Just wish the darn PP would be somewhat productive. I don't demand a #1 in the league PP, but I would at least like to see them have a PP good enough that other teams care if they take penalties. Right now I am not really convinced any team is worried about the Bruins PP.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
amazing weekend for the Bruins- they survived both the blizzard and John Scott.

I was worried the Bruins would be intimidated and Marchand looked like he felt bad about scoring that first goal, but other than that the Bruins made it out alive from the Big Bad Buffaloes

Must admit I'm pretty shocked the Bruins didn't go near Scott. I guess you just know when you meet your match fight wise.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Must admit I'm pretty shocked the Bruins didn't go near Scott. I guess you just know when you meet your match fight wise.

Pretty shocked they went near him in the first place. Pure Plug. Dropping the gloves with him does the Sabres a favor every time whether you win the fight (Orr, Parros) or not (Thornton).

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Just used to the Bruins being the meanest dog in the kennel I guess...Parros and Orr did fine vs Scott...Not used to the Bruins turning the other cheek. :laugh:

Plus, I kinda like fights.. HAHAHA :)

I didn't see Scott trying to pick a fight. Maybe I missed it. I did see the Bruins skating past him like he was a revolving door. Win the game, make Scott look stupid. Win/win.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Just used to the Bruins being the meanest dog in the kennel I guess...Parros and Orr did fine vs Scott...Not used to the Bruins turning the other cheek. :laugh:

Plus, I kinda like fights.. HAHAHA :)

I love the fights also. If I were GM, Steve MacIntyer would have been here before Scott had served his 5 min for the Thornton beating.:laugh:

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
I didn't see Scott trying to pick a fight. Maybe I missed it. I did see the Bruins skating past him like he was a revolving door. Win the game, make Scott look stupid. Win/win.

My thoughts exactly. Why play into the other team's strengths? They want the Bruins to lose self-discipline and spend time chasing after vendettas.

Screw that. Expose them for the weak team they are. Without Miller, it would have been a blowout.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Would be nice to take some clean runs at him...knock him on his ass... He would prolly take some stupid penalties..

Why bother? We're a much better team than them. We have Cup aspirations, they're asphyxiators. We take clean runs at Scott, they get their feelings hurt and take questionable runs at our talented players.

Just beat them on the ice and in the standings. Everyone else does.

Record should still show that the one regulation loss we have is the night we decided to load up on fighters and engage John Scott. I disagree that we're a team full of tough guys, I think we're more a talented team that takes care of each other.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Would be nice to take some clean runs at him...knock him on his ass... He would prolly take some stupid penalties..

Maybe... don't know. I was disappointed nobody went after Stafford in some way or the other. As for Scott, not sure any revenge was necessary. He won a fight fair and square and was very classy (hate that word, especially in relation with hockey :laugh:) about it. Marchand made him look silly skating around him, did it for me :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

no way Jose- they were told to let him play. All you had to do was watch that one shift by the Bergeron line and see how bad he is. Before last nights game the last time I saw Scott he was going down to one knee after taking a left to the head in Florida from Parros.

Scott will get his- lets see how he does in the flow of the game with depleted oxygen, and modified balance

I would take Milan Lucic in a fight against every single Celtics player on the ground and he's shorter than all.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Is there a more enigmatic player than Vanek in the league right now? Guy looked like an unstoppable force in that 7-4 game and then was so invisible last night that I don't recall him touching the puck once until the 2nd. I honestly thought he was out with an injury or something until i finally noticed him late in the 1st.

Guy is incredibly talented and has all the tools but just seems so inconsistent. I know his numbers thus far are really awesome, but I will be surprised if he's still leading the league in scoring by the end of the year.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Thing that shocked me most this game was Chris impersonating his dad on the point, he moves so much like a tiny version of Ray back there.

Such a smart Bourque-y play to bounce the puck straight of the boards for the assist too.

Chris also occasionally has a bit of Samsonovinallity in his stick handle that i like, hope he can continue to build on packaging his skill-set.

He has gifts to use and an obvious burden, I think he can still find some balance in be a decent NHL'er and Bruin.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Is there a more enigmatic player than Vanek in the league right now? Guy looked like an unstoppable force in that 7-4 game and then was so invisible last night that I don't recall him touching the puck once until the 2nd. I honestly thought he was out with an injury or something until i finally noticed him late in the 1st.

Guy is incredibly talented and has all the tools but just seems so inconsistent. I know his numbers thus far are really awesome, but I will be surprised if he's still leading the league in scoring by the end of the year.

There's a reason one of his nicknames is Thomas Vanish.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Marchand made him look silly skating around him, did it for me

This part was far more enjoyable than any fight.

As for McQuaid-not sure I want McQuaid fighting Scott either, but at least McQuaid is closer to Scott's height and Scott wouldn't have the reach advantage that he had with Thornton. McQuaid isn't a technically sound fighter, but he throws some pretty mean punches-McQuaid probably would have fared better.

I also think Thornton would likely have fared better had he been able to get inside, but Thornton wasn't in a good place and left himself vulnerable for that beat down (Love Thornton, but that was probably the worst fight I have ever seen him have and I find it painful to watch knowing the outcome).

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
This part was far more enjoyable than any fight.

As for McQuaid-not sure I want McQuaid fighting Scott either, but at least McQuaid is closer to Scott's height and Scott wouldn't have the reach advantage that he had with Thornton. McQuaid isn't a technically sound fighter, but he throws some pretty mean punches-McQuaid probably would have fared better.

I also think Thornton would likely have fared better had he been able to get inside, but Thornton wasn't in a good place and left himself vulnerable for that beat down (Love Thornton, but that was probably the worst fight I have ever seen him have and I find it painful to watch knowing the outcome).

Painful indeed, and sorry to retraumatize you, but I do have a question for you or others here: In the slow-motion replay, I see what looks like Thornton's left arm coming up after he's gone down to the ground. The arm seems to make two quick jabs straight up, as though either (a) he's still trying to punch Scott (from a ludicrous position); or (b) doing a version of Horton's one-armed concussion salute. Either way it's a chilling sight, because you gotta figure he's semi-conscious at that point. Am I the only one who saw this, and if not, what did others make of it?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Painful indeed, and sorry to retraumatize you, but I do have a question for you or others here: In the slow-motion replay, I see what looks like Thornton's left arm coming up after he's gone down to the ground. The arm seems to make two quick jabs straight up, as though either (a) he's still trying to punch Scott (from a ludicrous position); or (b) doing a version of Horton's one-armed concussion salute. Either way it's a chilling sight, because you gotta figure he's semi-conscious at that point. Am I the only one who saw this, and if not, what did others make of it?

Interesting, but I don't want to watch it again. Still can't watch the Horton or Bergeron hits either.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Thornton said he didn't lose consciousness (or if he did, it was only for a millisecond). The "fencing response" is a classic sign of a severe concussion, and IIRC there is no movement involved; the arm hangs limply in the air before collapsing under the weight of gravity. If he had displayed that symptom, they would have gotten him off the ice (or box, as it were) asap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->