GDT: Game # 10 Bruins ( 7-1-1 ) @ Barfalo (5-6-1 ) Part Deux

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Bergeron had success as one of the pointmen on the PP in his two 70 point seasons.

**** your right. But we go with Krejci and now Bourque (who they may be mistaking as his father) which makes it all the more frustrating. Bergeron had success there so we won't think about using him there now.

I'll add that I'd still prefer to see our d out there for the pp.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
We have as many PPG as we do PPGA (3). I guess Claude loves the balance? :sarcasm: One of those was Seguin's ENG a few games ago, so that leaves 2 PPG and 1 SHG. :nod:

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
My Verizon connection died about half an hour before game time so I ended up watching this at my local, over beers, and with the C's triple-OT game on the screen to the left. (We're so spoiled in this city, it's ridiculous).

I thought the cycling in the first period was brilliant, but I found our net-front absence through huge chunks of the game (esp. on the PP) incredibly frustrating to behold. Gave me bad flashbacks of our series against the Caps.

A road win is a road win though, so I'm happy!

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
I feel like the boys played great tonight. Miller made this game closer than it should have been.

Also, Dobby is awesome. He's so calm back there. Even with Timmy gone, the Bruins are in a good spot with goaltending. It's great.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The Bruins 5 on 3 the two d men were on wrong sides.Theyneed set up so they can one time pucks,,not have to stop em and turn to shoot,Cannot believe no one saw that.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Now will the B's learn from that success and try it again? Nope. It will be more deer in the headlights. Look at Dougie. He looked far more confident his first two games on the PP than he does now. As if the longer you serve on the B's PP, your offensive IQ gets sucked out your head like some kind of hockey vacuum cleaner.

Yeah watching those first couple games, I thought "oh good, he hasn't learned the B's PP yet."

Buffalo sucks. Yet, they were within one shot of tying that game up until late in the 3rd. Unacceptable when you have that many PP chances, including a 5 on 3.

I can't say this without sounding like the spoiled brat I am: I'm tired of winning by one goal.

I really hate seeing Krejci and Bourque (or any forward for that matter) on the point on the powerplay.

I do too as a rule, except when we scored last night.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
The PP problem has to be coaching. They keep trying to do the same entry play at the blueline along the boards. Teams know this, go there, and then intercept and clear before the Bruins can even get the puck to the circles. It's ridiculous that they keep trying the same exact entry play over and over. Why not try the Detroit entry scheme from a couple years ago, where they would pass back to a trailer with speed? Anything other than the failed 'double barreled action' attempt.

If they get it set up in the zone, 9 times out of 10 they make a bad decision with the puck. They either try to make too fine a pass through traffic, a long shot directly into an opposing player, or a pass to an empty position on a rotation.

With good PP units, every player knows exactly where the others will be in any given situation. That's clearly not the case here. They're playing as individuals rather than as a cohesive 5 man unit. It's amazing that it's so dysfunctional given how precise the team's 5-on-5 and PK work is.

---

That said, I'm excited about the reconfigured top two lines. Both had several shifts where they did everything but score. Horton's physicality on the Bergeron line opens up some space and really works with that line's cycle game, while Seguin's speed on the Krejci line opens up more passing lanes and forces Lucic to skate hard.

Dobby struggled a bit with rebounds, but otherwise had a solid game.

Chris Bourque actually looked pretty good, IMO. He was throwing his body around.

The defense was solid all around. One of Chara's better games. Hopefully Hamilton learned when and when not to pinch.

Overall, it was nice to put Buffalo back in their place and for the team to prove that the first meeting was an aberration.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
I feel like the boys played great tonight. Miller made this game closer than it should have been.

Also, Dobby is awesome. He's so calm back there. Even with Timmy gone, the Bruins are in a good spot with goaltending. It's great.

Dobby ? :( I prefer Khudini

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
The Bruins 5 on 3 the two d men were on wrong sides.Theyneed set up so they can one time pucks,,not have to stop em and turn to shoot,Cannot believe no one saw that.

I saw it. I'm sure plenty of people did. I'm also sure plenty of people don't think they need to be set up to take one timers. Especially when there's absolutely no traffic in front of the net.

Besides, Hamilton was on the side where he can walk in fire a quick wrist shot, which he seems to be much better at than one timers. Maybe that was the plan?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't see why we don't stack one PP with our best players at each position. Enough of this forward on defense, Hamilton has been one of our best players from the point on the PP (In my opinion at least), please put him on the first unit with Chara.

I also never understand why Boychuk isn't out there, he has a rocket.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Absolutely. If I'm an opposing coach I'd hack and hook against the Bruins all night. What do you have to lose?

There are some ramifications against the offending team, even if
a PP goal is not scored.

It often screws up lines for a few shifts.
Gets players tired, so they may not be as much as an offensive
threat.
Can take away momentum.

But I do get your point. and if the B's are generating a legit
scoring threat, opposing teams won't hesitate to take a penalty.

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
Very different watching the game from a luxury suite last night. Many non-hockey fans, but the Grey Goose / Coronas and buffalo wings were flowing all night long :)

Bergeron also made me look good. Someone made a comment that he was all over the ice. I proceeded to tell him that he won the Selke last year (yes I had to explain what that is too). I started to point out all the little things, money on the face-off, always in position, never allows the puck to be taken off his stick, warrior along the boards, great at take-aways. Then as if on cue he scores to which I say, oh yeah and he's pretty good on offense too.:D

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
There are some ramifications against the offending team, even if
a PP goal is not scored.

It often screws up lines for a few shifts.
Gets players tired, so they may not be as much as an offensive
threat.
Can take away momentum.

But I do get your point. and if the B's are generating a legit
scoring threat, opposing teams won't hesitate to take a penalty.

Exactly. When was the last time we heard an opposing coach say a key to the game : "we have to stay out of the box" ? 2010?

:laugh:

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Exactly. When was the last time we heard an opposing coach say a key to the game : "we have to stay out of the box" ? 2010?

:laugh:

I haven't seen too many upset faces on opposing players when they get called for a penalty against Boston. If I could hear the chatter on the bench, I'd assume it's a lot of "Eh, don't worry about it. We'll get a shorthanded chance out of this."

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Welp got called a ********t for my Lucic jersey. Otherwise, the arena was like a library. Also, downtown buffalo is a joke. Nobody collected my $8 so I parked for free outside the arena.

I hope you had fun.

Looked like there were quite a few B's fans there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
amazing weekend for the Bruins- they survived both the blizzard and John Scott.

I was worried the Bruins would be intimidated and Marchand looked like he felt bad about scoring that first goal, but other than that the Bruins made it out alive from the Big Bad Buffaloes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad