GDT: Game 1: Mild @ Avalanche - 7PM - HOCKEY IS BACK

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I love that balance. 5 guys with 19+ ? Yes please. No more giving Nick Holden and Matt Hunwick 25+ minutes.

Yeah that's surprising how they all get similar TOI. I don't know if it's a good strategy long term but until we get a dominant #1 it's probably for the best.

Reactions: Murzu

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I do think the Wild will be better than they showed tonight. They aren't a fast club and the Avs really burned them there on that tonight, but their passing was also terribly off. Suter in particular was just horrible at moving the puck - but I suspect that's more due to rust than anything else with him. We'll see how well Greenway turns out, but the kid has the potential to be scary. He had a few moments tonight coming off the boards with his strength. If he can put things together he won't be fun to play against.

Reactions: Murzu and Avs425

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
40-21 shot advantage, but perhaps more importantly, a 29-13 5v5 shot advantage. Fairly dominant performance in that respect. It was strange for me to watch the Avs-Wild after the last several years and not see the Wild pin the Avs in their own zone for a large part of the game.

I felt like that shot differential was because it seemed like at least one of G-man or Barrie was on the ice at all times. Z did ok, but he also seems like it's going to take him a bit to get into a groove again. Next year that kid should probably play the last three pre-season games lol.

Imagine this team when one of Makar, G-man, and Barrie are on the ice at all times? Holy shit lol it's going to be impossible to setup a cycle on that team.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
Really solid game other than the last 10 minutes turtle there. They head this Wild team to 20 shots against and really i can't recall to many high scoring chances for them. The D did a great job tonight. Varly was good but not to busy, and the Forwards were fast, nasty, and aggressive. Should be a real fun season to watch if they continue to play and build of this.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
I do think the Wild will be better than they showed tonight. They aren't a fast club and the Avs really burned them there on that tonight, but their passing was also terribly off. Suter in particular was just horrible at moving the puck - but I suspect that's more due to rust than anything else with him. We'll see how well Greenway turns out, but the kid has the potential to be scary. He had a few moments tonight coming off the boards with his strength. If he can put things together he won't be fun to play against.
Totally notice the bad passing tonight on the wild blue line as well, particularly with the D-D passes trying to break out. That will get better as the season goes but i agree, to me they looked really slow.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I hope we get credit when it's due. I hate reading the opposition was off, which is why we won.

We were the better team from start to finish. We dominated them, and have done so for a while.

We out skated them, out hustled them, out passed them, and we're more hungry.

BUT, we can get MUCH better, and the team knows it. That's the most exciting thing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm a Soderberg fan..

Hey dude.. We know you can play higher in the lineup, but we need you to carry a line all by yourself for the rest of your contract.

He really has embraced his role and taken on an attitude of letting his grinder line-mates do the work, get him the puck, read the play, and contribute offensively as best he can.

Reactions: Bender and Murzu

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
With the exception of the one Girard brain fart the D looked as good as it's ever been since the glory days.

That goal was a tough one to stop. Goals happen sometimes. I though Girard was flawless.

If there's one player who seems off it's Landy. He seemed to have trouble breaking out of the zone a few times. Probably just rust or jitters.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm a Soderberg fan..

Hey dude.. We know you can play higher in the lineup, but we need you to carry a line all by yourself for the rest of your contract.

He really has embraced his role and taken on an attitude of letting his grinder line-mates do the work, get him the puck, read the play, and contribute offensively as best he can.

The thing about Soda is that might be the best role for him. He seems to play much better with those keep it simple, grinding style players, than he does with the more skilled guys.

Reactions: Murzu and Pure

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The thing about Soda is that might be the best role for him. He seems to play much better with those keep it simple, grinding style players, than he does with the more skilled guys.

I'd like it if one of his wingers had a bit more finish though because the guy can absolutely dish the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad