Game 1 ECQF: Toronto Maple Leafs (3) at Boston Bruins (2) 7 PM ET | NBCSN, CBC, TVAS, NESN

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
McAvoy looks good but Matthews is a Calder winning rookie who put up 40 goals centering what became the Leafs top line that was made up entirely of rookies.

It’s not really a slight to suggest he’s not on Matthews level. He looks really good but Matthews is clearly a better player.

Lets talk at the end of the series :). I wish employers would just give us the playoffs off to argue on hfboards!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Lets talk at the end of the series :). I wish employers would just give us the playoffs off to argue on hfboards!

A series win or loss doesn’t really mean anything. That’s why you have Conn Smythe winners sometimes who just got hot at the right time.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
McAvoy looks good but Matthews is a Calder winning rookie who put up 40 goals centering what became the Leafs top line that was made up entirely of rookies.

It’s not really a slight to suggest he’s not on Matthews level. He looks really good but Matthews is clearly a better player.

Mcavoy was the #1 dman much of the season on a 110 point team. As a rookie too.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Mcavoy was the #1 dman much of the season on a 110 point team. As a rookie too.
I think you can go around and around in circles trying compare a centre to a defensemen and in the end it is kind of pointless because they play completely different positions. Mcavoy is probably my favorite young defensemen in hockey. Does that mean he is a Matthews level player? I don't know and it probably doesn't matter either.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think you can go around and around in circles trying compare a centre to a defensemen and in the end it is kind of pointless because they play completely different positions. Mcavoy is probably my favorite young defensemen in hockey. Does that mean he is a Matthews level player? I don't know and it probably doesn't matter either.
This. I'm confused as Matthews is not a Dman.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Impossible.

It's unfortunate. But one team despite the 100+ pts this season due to the playoff format will be ousted before rd 2. It's a good playoff format as divisional rivalries are created. But it is not fair also as it does not reward having a good season. I see both views. This series feels like there is a lot more on the line because of this.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
giphy.gif

Game time bois

Leafs in 3

Marner = Gohan, Matthews = Goku, Nylander = Trunks?

Oh and a side note, I love Dragon Ball, and this animation rocks.

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
From Paul Hendrick....

If you’re into numbers and quirky stats-stuff.....this is the 67th playoff appearance for the Leafs all time, and head to head with Boston in the Post Season the Leafs have a win /loss record of 34-34. Read into such as you will. #tmltalk

Bear Claws

Dec 3, 2010
Ontario
Pretty much this...if the Leafs pull off game 1 or 2 in Boston, and then don't screw up games 3 and 4 (like they did in 2013), they'll win the series.
Really?
There is a saying in Sports that holds very true " It's never over till it's over " So put away your 8 ball

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
The matchups in Boston will be interesting. I am assuming that because the B's have last change, Cassidy will try to get the Bergeron line against Matthews?

I'm guessing in Toronto Babcock will get Kadri (or maybe Plekanec) against that top line, a luxury he won't have in Boston.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This format is terrible. Two teams that finished lower than both the Bruins and Leafs play each other but these two 100+ point teams have to play each other. Not fair that the Penguins get to play a team that has no goalie.
I posted this before....game 82 between Boston and Florida meant the exact same thing to the team 3rd in the East, 7th overall (Toronto) and the team 8th in the East and 15th overall (Jersey)....so what was the point in finishing higher?

Reactions: Pi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad