GDT: GAME #1! - Canucks vs. Ducks - part 2 - New Season, Same Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Totally... We would have won 8-7 with him tonight

We might not have won today but does that mean we can't focus on more than one issue at once? Ebbett is a plug and adding Schroeder to the second line might actually give this team an offensive threat outside the Sedins and the first powerplay unit.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Hey, just going based on what he himself has said, and what he has shown on the bench. No emotion. Obviously, we don't know the specifics of exactly what goes on behind the scenes, but we can only make inferences based on what is known, and what is known is that he is not emotional.

It doesn't mean much for the rest of the season, but based on trends, the rest of the season hasn't been the issue, the beginning has been. I'm saying do what you can in the beginning to buck the trends you have in place. Including being emotional on the bench.

And we're going to have to agree to disagree on emotion having no impact on the game.

I know what AV has said. Its a soundbite and that's it. To extrapolate anything from that is folly.

As for emotion once again I never said emotion doesn't have an impact on the game.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Crappy that it happened right away, but definitely easy to throw away this game. Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Schneider were all horrible. The "second" line was invisible. Twins were in and out but generally looked really rusty. Garrison got beat on one of the early goals. Third and fourth lines were probably the bright spot.

Toss it out, move on. D and goaltending is our strength. They won't play near that bad on a regular basis. Get a win tomorrow.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I think it's AV's reticence to get emotional on the bench that feeds into the perception that he does not get emotional behind closed doors. Does not spark his team. Etc...

People are just trying to understand the reason for the consistently poor starts. Luongo is out of the mix now, so the attention is on AV himself now...

That's my biggest problem with him. If you ask me, it affects the way we're reffed in a negative way. He rolls over too easily for ********. The biggest emotional reaction we've ever seen out of him is when Vern Fiddler did his Bieksa impression. That says something.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
That's my biggest problem with him. If you ask me, it affects the way we're reffed in a negative way. He rolls over too easily for ********. The biggest emotional reaction we've ever seen out of him is when Vern Fiddler did his Bieksa impression. That says something.

There's a reason why he was in such a good mood that day too. That was right before the trade deadline. No wonder he was so happy. He knew we were shipping out Hodgson. Such a schmuck. AV was seriously obsessed with that shutdown 3rd line with pahlsson after the deadline. Worked out so well for us in the end. He should have been focusing on the how the rest of the team was playing like complete garbage. Instead of trying to get Kes and Booth going by putting higgins with them down the stretch of the season, he refuses to put higgins with them until the very end of the kings series. By that time, kes/booth had absolutely no confidence (kes was also obviously super-injured). AV, I just want this guy gone. He's screwed up enough.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Are the poor middles/ends proven to be a trend like the starts have been?

Would love some statistical analysis on this.

Im guessing based on their end results there would be some trend there. Unless the nucks are getting awarded phantom points.

I almost think some fans would prefer the nucks season went: 1W-1L-1W-1L-1W-1L-1W-1L ......

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Frankly, I believe the "second line" issues might be too much dependency on inexperience. Raymond has been the definition of inconsistent and demonstrated little reason to think otherwise. Ebbett is a journey man, while Kassian has barely played at the NHL level. We would be better served to rotate the trio somewhat in hopes stronger players can cause a spark.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Ebbett - Burrows
Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen
Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
The 3rd pair of Ballard and Tanev was a disaster every time out on the ice.
I think I seen one semi good play where Ballard faked a shot and got a good one on net, but led to no rebound and barely a chance.

Ebbett is so bad in the draw, I'm willing to see if he can bounce back against a weaker centre group in Edmonton, but if he is as invisible as tonight, I'd be willing to break up that 3rd pairing to send Tanev down to bring Schroeder up. 9 D is unnecessary when we have no spare forwards who can step in and actually win a draw.

One of Volpatti or Weise need to sit once we have a healthy forward back, or Schroeder gets a call up. Volpatti played better and was more physical, but Weise has more skill with the puck. I just don't agree with two guys who are mostly fighter/grinders on the starting line up is going to win us any games.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
1st Duck Goal - Perfect deflection, Schneider would have had to have been very lucky to stop it. Hard to fault anyone there.

2nd Ducks Goal -Lost draw by Malhotra cleanly out to Souray who unloads a canon...Schneider could have stopped it, but a lot of top goalies get beaten by Souray's shot. Still, a save would have been nice and possible.

3rd Ducks Goal - Volpatti gets out of position going for a hit and it turns into a 3-on-2 that is initially misplayed by Ballard, then by Tanev...add to the fact there was no back checking on the 3rd man coming in and it turns into a shoddy defensive play. Plus, Schneider was FAR too deep in his net...poorly played by him and everyone else.

4th Ducks Goal - a won faceoff is poorly handled by Hamhuis and Schneider is hung out to dry. Hamhuis plays it properly and there is no scoring chance. Schneider could have taken away more down low and probably should have. Goal wasn't his fault but he could have played it better.

5th Ducks Goal - Bieksa is WAY out of position and chases Getzlaf instead of picking up the trailer who is now left wide open to wire a shot past Schneider. It was a clean shot with a scramble around the net, hard to pin blame on Schneider but you would hope for a big save. Didn't happen.

6th Duck Goal - Probably the worst goal of the night, just a shovel shot from a bad angle by Selanne finds a hole. Lu was fresh from the bench so it's hard to be into the game, but it was an ugly goal any way you slice it.

7th Duck Goal - Almost looked offside to me, Raymond gave Selanne far too much room and I'm not sure what Hamhuis and Bieksa were doing out there...Luongo was out far enough to make a save, but I'm guessing it must have been tipped because it really seemed to baffle him. Either way, not a good goal.

We didn't get top notch goaltending from either goalie, but we had FAR too many breakdowns...even with exceptional goaltending you can't win games on a consistent basis playing like that.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Guys, it's all my fault. I bought a Schneider jersey before the game.

Somebody forgot to tell Schneids the 50% was only for the store, not for the amount of pucks he was supposed to stop.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Watching some post game interviews and I feel bad for Schneider.

Keep your head up.

That is the most rattled I have ever seen Schneider. Game 1, Cory. Snap out of it. 'make 1 of those saves'. Sounds like something luongo would say. :laugh:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
1st Duck Goal - Perfect deflection, Schneider would have had to have been very lucky to stop it. Hard to fault anyone there.

2nd Ducks Goal -Lost draw by Malhotra cleanly out to Souray who unloads a canon...Schneider could have stopped it, but a lot of top goalies get beaten by Souray's shot. Still, a save would have been nice and possible.

3rd Ducks Goal - Volpatti gets out of position going for a hit and it turns into a 3-on-2 that is initially misplayed by Ballard, then by Tanev...add to the fact there was no back checking on the 3rd man coming in and it turns into a shoddy defensive play. Plus, Schneider was FAR too deep in his net...poorly played by him and everyone else.

4th Ducks Goal - a won faceoff is poorly handled by Hamhuis and Schneider is hung out to dry. Hamhuis plays it properly and there is no scoring chance. Schneider could have taken away more down low and probably should have. Goal wasn't his fault but he could have played it better.

5th Ducks Goal - Bieksa is WAY out of position and chases Getzlaf instead of picking up the trailer who is now left wide open to wire a shot past Schneider. It was a clean shot with a scramble around the net, hard to pin blame on Schneider but you would hope for a big save. Didn't happen.

6th Duck Goal - Probably the worst goal of the night, just a shovel shot from a bad angle by Selanne finds a hole. Lu was fresh from the bench so it's hard to be into the game, but it was an ugly goal any way you slice it.

7th Duck Goal - Almost looked offside to me, Raymond gave Selanne far too much room and I'm not sure what Hamhuis and Bieksa were doing out there...Luongo was out far enough to make a save, but I'm guessing it must have been tipped because it really seemed to baffle him. Either way, not a good goal.

We didn't get top notch goaltending from either goalie, but we had FAR too many breakdowns...even with exceptional goaltending you can't win games on a consistent basis playing like that.

Yeah getting scored on five out of five scoring chances was completely not Schneider's fault on any of them.

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
that flubbed shot on the open net is just everything wrong with kassian....even bozak buried one of those tonight and we all know coho would have fired that home. that trade just continues to look more and more perplexing.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Yeah getting scored on five out of five scoring chances was completely not Schneider's fault on any of them.

I never said he didn't share in some of the blame...but pointing your finger at one person isn't going to solve the problem...Luongo would have likely been roasted a few times too. The problem is bigger than just goaltending.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
that flubbed shot on the open net is just everything wrong with kassian....even bozak buried one of those tonight and we all know coho would have fired that home. that trade just continues to look more and more perplexing.

In that game you're going to pick that as a problem? :laugh: Because no one else has ever missed an open net.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I know what AV has said. Its a soundbite and that's it. To extrapolate anything from that is folly.

As for emotion once again I never said emotion doesn't have an impact on the game.

It's something he's said multiple times. Are we not supposed to believe him? His demeanor on the bench only cements what he is saying. I think it's folly to ignore the signs/evidence we are given.

Would love some statistical analysis on this.

Im guessing based on their end results there would be some trend there. Unless the nucks are getting awarded phantom points.

I almost think some fans would prefer the nucks season went: 1W-1L-1W-1L-1W-1L-1W-1L ......

You're welcome to do that analysis. We have the analysis of the first 10 games though over the past 6 years. A statistical foundation to the perceptions of many fans. As a result of this analysis, the Canucks are well recognized to be slow starters during this time.

Last edited:

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
On a happier note, my mom won one of the "jersey off our backs". She got Dan Hamhuis' game worn jersey, so I'm pretty happy for her. She hardly ever gets to go to a game, and even though the game was awful, it made her so happy.

Pretty stoked she got Hamhuis. They did the whole roster that's up here, so there were people that got Jim Vandermeer and Cam Berker jerseys. That's like winning the lottery and then learning you didn't win money, but a lifetime supply of frozen peas.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
On a happier note, my mom won one of the "jersey off our backs". She got Dan Hamhuis' game worn jersey, so I'm pretty happy for her. She hardly ever gets to go to a game, and even though the game was awful, it made her so happy.

Nice! It would be great to win any one of those, but a Hamhuis one makes it extra special. Congrats to her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad