GDT: GAME #1! - Canucks vs. Ducks - part 2 - New Season, Same Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Your assumption is that the season ends well. Further, slow starts should never be taken as a given. When you can do things to fix it, like actually prepare your team properly, which is the coach's job, you should do everything you can to do it. If that includes taking your players to task, so be it...

AV has said on many of occasion that he _relies_ on the leadership on the room more now. This signifies a hands off approach.

Emotion is part of the game. These aren't robots. You don't think getting emotional can lead to more wins, I'm saying try what you haven't likely tried because to this point what you have tried hasn't worked... for 6 years running.

This is redonkulous. We've bounced back from slow starts to win back to back President Trophies. Maybe, just maybe, some of things that lead to slower starts also lead to winning the regular season? ie people like to complain about how AV would blender his line ups in preseason...saying if he played his top guys together they'd hit the ground running...but maybe the time spent with other linemates lets AV make better decisions when injuries inevitably occur.

Honestly who gives a **** if we start slow when we've finished with the most points in the league the last two seasons. I dunno, but seems AV has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to how he prepares his troops for the season.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
One other thing... 8 months to prep and DJ Dave absolutely sucks. Same lame music from last year. I mean the playlist was almost the same.

"Make some noise!!!" Cue "Don't stop til you get enough"

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yup, this approach has always pissed me off. It's like AV knows he sucks at motivating so instead of trying, he just publically states that he leaves it up to the players so that he can wash his hands clean of it and pretend like he has no responsibility for this part of the game. Saying how his job is to coach. Give me a break AV. Learn how to motivate or GTFO.

I think it's AV's reticence to get emotional on the bench that feeds into the perception that he does not get emotional behind closed doors. Does not spark his team. Etc...

People are just trying to understand the reason for the consistently poor starts. Luongo is out of the mix now, so the attention is on AV himself now...

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
I'm sure that its happened in the past but I doubt they're going to keep playing like this the rest of the season.

Oh sweet Jesus.... let's hope not! However if this is their Master Plan, please let me know so I can start stocking up on Grey Goose and Doritos.....

; )

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
One other thing... 8 months to prep and DJ Dave absolutely sucks. Same lame music from last year. I mean the playlist was almost the same.

"Make some noise!!!" Cue "Don't stop til you get enough"

And that goal song is horrendous. Get rid of vamonos vamonos.

Time for some stuff like zombie nation or Rock and Roll by Gary Glitter as a goal song.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Damn you.

Ill see your Steve Weeks and raise you a Frank Caprice. Not only that but a Frank Caprice on the old school Shell Canucks hockey cards.

url

Well played...

smithg70.jpg

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Your assumption is that the season ends well. Further, slow starts should never be taken as a given. When you can do things to fix it, like actually prepare your team properly, which is the coach's job, you should do everything you can to do it. If that includes taking your players to task, so be it...

AV has said on many of occasion that he _relies_ on the leadership on the room more now. This signifies a hands off approach.

Emotion is part of the game. These aren't robots. You don't think getting emotional can lead to more wins, I'm saying try what you haven't likely tried because to this point what you have tried hasn't worked... for 6 years running.

Hands off? Maybe more than other coaches but again based on how the nucks have performed in the last couple of years I don't see that at an issue.

And he has said that but that doesn't mean he doesn't talk to the team or is completely hands off etc.

Like I said not one person on here actually knows what goes on in the dressing room or the meeting room. But people are content with parroting that he "doesn't talk to them", "isn't emotional enough with them" etc

Never said emotion isnt part of the game. Whether the coach is emotional or not is irrelevant to the outcome of the game. Ive personally had both style of coaching and it didnt matter to the outcome of the game.

And I have not assumed the season ends well what i did say is the past season did end well. The fact is the nucks cannot go full bore 82 games of the year. No team can and no team ever will. The nucks have had fantastic regular seasons the last 2 years. Whether they go on their 10 game losing skid in the beginning, middle or end is irrelevant.

So AV yells and shows emotion for the first few weeks to "buck the trend", is successful. What does he do in the middle and end of the season? Yell at them?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yup, this approach has always pissed me off. It's like AV knows he sucks at motivating so instead of trying, he just publically states that he leaves it up to the players so that he can wash his hands clean of it and pretend like he has no responsibility for this part of the game. Saying how his job is to coach. Give me a break AV. Learn how to motivate or GTFO.

Wait, didn't you just say you agreed with the guy saying that AV goes off on the players too much? Now you're saying he doesn't do it enough?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This is redonkulous. We've bounced back from slow starts to win back to back President Trophies. Maybe, just maybe, some of things that lead to slower starts also lead to winning the regular season? ie people like to complain about how AV would blender his line ups in preseason...saying if he played his top guys together they'd hit the ground running...but maybe the time spent with other linemates lets AV make better decisions when injuries inevitably occur.

Honestly who gives a **** if we start slow when we've finished with the most points in the league the last two seasons. I dunno, but seems AV has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to how he prepares his troops for the season.

We've bounced back, odds are we will bounce back, but it is not a given. It's ridiculous to assume that it is a given.

AV has earned the benefit of the doubt in an 82 game season, when there is ample time to bounce back. But the benefit of the doubt doesn't keep the eye away from the poor starts. The poor starts are still the poor starts. PTs or not, the starts are still poor, and that trend has yet to be resolved under this coach. Just like the PTs are a good mark for AV, the poor starts are a bad mark.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
So the players decided to try and get AV fired 6 days from the start of training camp. Players made a lot of errors the effort was there. Hard to blame the coach. Many of these players are not in a solid enough position to not try. Ebbet Manny Volpatti Weise Raymond Higgins Hansen Lapierre Kassian are 9 forwards who do not have luxury of mailing in any games.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Wait, didn't you just say you agreed with the guy saying that AV goes off on the players too much? Now you're saying he doesn't do it enough?

I dont think I would ever agree to that, unless I misread something. :laugh: Do you know which post?
Also, motivation doesn't have to be getting pissed off at players. By motivation, I'm also talking about things to inspire players, not just rip into them.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
We've bounced back, odds are we will bounce back, but it is not a given. It's ridiculous to assume that it is a given.

AV has earned the benefit of the doubt in an 82 game season, when there is ample time to bounce back. But the benefit of the doubt doesn't keep the eye away from the poor starts. The poor starts are still the poor starts. PTs or not, the starts are still poor, and that trend has yet to be resolved under this coach. Just like the PTs are a good mark for AV, the poor starts are a bad mark.

I dont get your point.

You'd like him to resolve the poor starts.

But what about the poor middles, poor ends that inevitably hit every single team?

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Went to the game.... there were definitely some blown assignments on defence tonight and that is partly due to rustiness (ex. Ballard and Tanev on that 3rd goal looked silly).

Selanne was absolute class tonight. Takes a dumb penalty that leads to the 2-2 goal (IIRC), goes out of the box and taps Hiller for an apology, and then takes the game into his own hands. He was magnificent and not only getting open for quality scoring chances but also his shot placement. His goal low blocker above the pad on Luongo would not have been stopped no matter who is in net.

For me, Hansen was quite good tonight but I also felt Kassian did a great job out there, especially in the 3rd where you could tell he was working the hardest out of anyone on the ice (on offense, defense he just tried to be in position it seemed).

The team is not going to win games just relying on the Sedins, upgrading that second line needs to be done at all costs (i.e. trade a goalie, sign someone better than Ebbett, try Schroeder, etc).

On the plus side, got a Hamhuis jersey (and then he scored... awesome!) and hat for like $120 bucks all in. 50% off everything at the Rog.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hands off? Maybe more than other coaches but again based on how the nucks have performed in the last couple of years I don't see that at an issue.

And he has said that but that doesn't mean he doesn't talk to the team or is completely hands off etc.

Like I said not one person on here actually knows what goes on in the dressing room or the meeting room. But people are content with parroting that he "doesn't talk to them", "isn't emotional enough with them" etc

Hey, just going based on what he himself has said, and what he has shown on the bench. No emotion. Obviously, we don't know the specifics of exactly what goes on behind the scenes, but we can only make inferences based on what is known, and what is known is that he is not emotional.

Never said emotion isnt part of the game. Whether the coach is emotional or not is irrelevant to the outcome of the game. Ive personally had both style of coaching and it didnt matter to the outcome of the game.

And I have not assumed the season ends well what i did say is the past season did end well. The fact is the nucks cannot go full bore 82 games of the year. No team can and no team ever will. The nucks have had fantastic regular seasons the last 2 years. Whether they go on their 10 game losing skid in the beginning, middle or end is irrelevant.

So AV yells and shows emotion for the first few weeks to "buck the trend", is successful. What does he do in the middle and end of the season? Yell at them?

It doesn't mean much for the rest of the season, but based on trends, the rest of the season hasn't been the issue, the beginning has been. I'm saying do what you can in the beginning to buck the trends you have in place. Including being emotional on the bench.

And we're going to have to agree to disagree on emotion having no impact on the game.

Crows*

:help: Where did I say that? Schroeder gives the Canucks a better chance to win then Ebbet. Quite simple as that.

No. Jordan Schroeder has never played an nhl game. Ebett had 5 goals in 18 games last year Including 2 over time winners. So you're factually wrong.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I dont think I would ever agree to that, unless I misread something. :laugh: Do you know which post?
Also, motivation doesn't have to be getting pissed off at players. By motivation, I'm also talking about things to inspire players, not just rip into them.

The poster that said the team **** the bed on purpose to get AV canned.

Honestly, if you have to give some ******** hollywood speech before the home opener of a post-lockout season, your team is doomed to begin with. Those guys should have been bouncing off the walls, and if they weren't, then it's on them and not AV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad