GDT: GAME #1! - Canucks vs. Ducks - part 2 - New Season, Same Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Oh, I forgot to mention the best part of the game: During one of the breaks, they were playing a clip where this girl was asking the players how she could get on Alain's good side. When Ballard's interview came up, he just shrugged and said "good question, I don't know." :laugh:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Same Ducks team that we were scared ****less of potentially facing in the first round a few years ago.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't get it.

Essentially the entire team hasn't played for almost a year and had 5 days to practise.

What did people expect?

The ****show hockey will be here for awhile.

Hopefully the other team ends up being more of a ****show than the Canucks more often than not.

If not, I say **** it, and pull a one year tank job.

Load up with Jones or MacKinnon, trade Lu and go for broke next year.
That's what I stated earlier about expecting this outcome and was called out on something I have no idea about as well.

and I'd be totally ok with getting one of those guys. :)

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Liked what I saw from Kassian tonight....I counted 5 hits within the first two periods...I will say that Ebbett is a mistake...I don't care if he has to go on waivers...Schroeder is the offensive injection that line needs.

Ebbett was terrible IMO. He didn't provide the spark that line needed.

Happy that Kassian seem engaged and got better as the game progressed.

Also what's with AV not being able to utilize the Timeout? I was expecting a timeout after the 2nd goal in the 2nd...I don't care if changing goalies buys you time...you ream your team out after being half alseep for half the game...

The Protein Shake*

I dont really care much for this game. New goalie, new season, no second line, and we had to play the Ducks, who love playing against us in our own home. Good thing we have tonight against Edmonton, no time to dwell on this lackluster effort.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
We're going to get lit up tomorrow by edmonton. Book it.

Towel-Power

GoCanucksGo
Apr 1, 2007
HomeoftheClassless
Just came home and watched the game. HAHA. Life as a Canucks fan is something else :laugh: You just knew something like this would happen with Schneider getting lit up and Luongo having to come in. Whatever though.

For some reason I'm not too upset(maybe because it's the first game) but you have to start Schneider tomorrow IMO. Wouldn't be fair not to give him a chance to rebound when Lu has been given that chance almost every time he's had a bad game. But from After Hours it sounded like AV was leaning on starting Luongo.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Oh, I forgot to mention the best part of the game: During one of the breaks, they were playing a clip where this girl was asking the players how she could get on Alain's good side. When Ballard's interview came up, he just shrugged and said "good question, I don't know." :laugh:

:laugh:

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
I don't get how you play 60 minutes dump-n-chase against a team, that has (and always had) the physical edge.
We got out-muscled in the battles along the boards 9 out of 10 times.

If AV went with this game plan due to the passing still being off, fair enough. The entire team didn't play up to its strengths in terms of moving the puck.
Worst part was seeing passes not connecting because of the passer expecting the receiving player to skate faster than he actually was. So, obviously the boys haven't found their legs yet.

There was basically no flow in the Canucks' game whatsoever. I hope they shake off that rust sooner rather than later.

You can't afford a traditional Canucks-October in a 48-game-season. /captain obvious

And Selanne IS an amazing player and leader. Truly one of the great ones in every aspect of the game.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't get how you play 60 minutes dump-n-chase against a team, that has (and always had) the physical edge.
We got out-muscled in the battles along the boards 9 out of 10 times.

If AV went with this game plan due to the passing still being off, fair enough. The entire team didn't play up to its strengths in terms of moving the puck.
Worst part was seeing passes not connecting because of the passer expecting the receiving player to skate faster than he actually was. So, obviously the boys haven't found their legs yet.

There was basically no flow in the Canucks' game whatsoever. I hope they shake off that rust sooner rather than later.

You can't afford a traditional Canucks-October in a 48-game-season. /captain obvious

And Selanne IS an amazing player and leader. Truly one of the great ones in every aspect of the game.

I agree, they didn't play to their strengths. I've seen some advocate locking it down, but I don't think that's wise either. You have to go to play to your strengths, and the Canucks' strength is their skill. I hope they try to break into the zone with skating/passing and they play their 2nd line more. Let's see if they do so.

And it may be obvious, but it bears repeating, they can't afford the same slow start this year.

CJV123

Feb 4, 2010
You probably have such high standards for it it's not worth mentioning, but VAN's puck control and movement on the PP were excellent.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
I miss the lockout.

;)

Thought the most glaring issue for the Canucks was their 1st pass out of their zone. That's the absolute key to the Canucks attack and when they're on they're almost unstoppable... they were WAY OFF tonight, infact they could barely get it out of their zone.

I just hope that in this 5 - 7 game 'pre-season' the get at least 8 points out of those games or it could get ugly quickly.

Glad they have another game today against a team that's almost the exact opposite of the Ducks. Small, speedy young team with suspect D and goaltending vs Huge, hulking veteran laden with solid D and goaltending.

Will be interesting to see how they handle them. Key is the Canucks need to focus on their game.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Good to see the Canucks come out of the gate with a strong effort. Really sets the tone for a controversy-free season.

It would've been funny if in a post-game interview a Sedin had said, "For us the real season is the playoffs," just to completely **** with everyone's head.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
That's what I stated earlier about expecting this outcome and was called out on something I have no idea about as well.

and I'd be totally ok with getting one of those guys. :)

I watch 3 other games yesterday and they were all just as brutal as ours, except one team didn't bury their chances as well as Anaheim.

It's going to be 5-7 games of ugly ugly hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad