Post-Game Talk: GAME #1: Canucks 5, Oilers 3 (Boeser x2, Horvat, Höglander, Gaudette)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
I don't like these double/triple headers because I find myself biting my tongue and not unleashing on my friends who are Oilers' fans....

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Bottom 6 is a problem. Gaudette scored and was noticeable. Saw Motte throw a couple hits. MacEwan, Sutter and Beagle tho...

Reactions: geebaan

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Oh yeah, and the broadcast team pointed it out, but that "cutting the ice in half" defensive scheme of collapsing onto the puck carrier was really, really effective tonight. By far the most impressed I've been with our team defense since Green took the bench. And it showed too - so so nice to not only win, but to win while outshooting the opposition by a solid amount instead of bleeding 40 and praying to Markstrom

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Still the same, Virtanen needs to have more drive and desire for the puck. If Jake desires the puck as a ice cold beer on a summer day, he could be so much more effective.

virtanen is Dustin Penner at best, love what he brings until he makes Dustin Penner coin then he is negative value

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Petey was amazing tonight. Brock was on a mission.

Of the new guys, I thought Schmidt looked real good. Solidifies the D corps. Holtby made some big saves, but also looked a bit slow on a couple of the goals. Didn't really notice Hamonic, and Hoglander was what we all thought he'd be.

Oilers defence was terrible, and Koskinen sucks. They can't win with what they have there.
Oilers are going to have a real tough time with that d.

Reactions: geebaan

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Juolevi killed the oilers bottom six. They sheltered the f*** out of him but he literally destroyed the oilers possession wise
I thought he played well. By the end of the year, I’ll bet he proves a lot of doubters wrong.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Nice first game. Definitely choppy and sloppy in spots, but hard to complain with an effort like that. Felt bad for Hamonic - first game in almost a year, very little practice even, and suddenly it’s in the deep end of the pool. I know he took two hooking penalties tonight, but I thought he settled in otherwise and should look more comfortable as time goes on.

Holtby was solid in net; had some tough saves and little chance on the goals that beat him.

Nice to see scoring contributions from our top 3 lines. Boeser shooting the puck like it’s 2017. Pettersson playing a nice 200-foot game. Virtanen is out of sync there but he played solid, I think.

The Horvat line was terrific. Could have had more goals. Green put it nicely saying that Hoglander walking in and contributing is like found money. Dude can play.

The bottom six had some hairy moments but some good shifts, too. As rough as their five on five play can be, Sutter and Beagle really do their jobs well on the PK.

Our D had a pretty good night all around, minus a few times being exposed by the speed and strength of McDavid and Draisaitl. Thought Juolevi was solid which was great to see. Thought Edler’s penalty for checking Yamamoto was basically “two minutes for being big”.

McDavid was definitely pissed at the end. He’ll be on a mission tomorrow night. Demko better have his A Game ready.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
virtanen is Dustin Penner at best, love what he brings until he makes Dustin Penner coin then he is negative value

Disagree, Jake is a lot faster than Penner, when he is skating that is.

But if you want to discuss, take it to Jake thread, this thread is about this game.

Jake plays like he wants to be Hoglander, but he should play like Burrows, chase the puck down, get it to line mates, and then go to the net.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
What a pleasant start to the season. Would be nice to win tomorrow tooooooo.

Are those who objected to us optimists penciling Hoglander into the top 6 .... I noticed the announcers are already asking if we have another Calder finalist? He won't beat Lafrenaire (or however you spell it) but next year we have pods so we could have a finalist 5 years in a row!.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Nice first game. Definitely choppy and sloppy in spots, but hard to complain with an effort like that. Felt bad for Hamonic - first game in almost a year, very little practice even, and suddenly it’s in the deep end of the pool. I know he took two hooking penalties tonight, but I thought he settled in otherwise and should look more comfortable as time goes on.

I think the two penalties were fine to take, it took away scoring chances, especially the second one.
Edler and Virtanen's cross checking ones could be avoided though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad