Post-Game Talk: GAME #1: Canucks 5, Oilers 3 (Boeser x2, Horvat, Höglander, Gaudette)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
You can say it’s not true than say nothing is certain.

You disagree. Cheers.

The only thing certain, is uncertainty.

Because you are talking about near 30 players per team, that's over 900 players. You blanket said it was worst for all players.

But the fact is that everyone reacts to the situation differently. Some players had the playoff bubble experience already and you can tell that they are comfortable.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I think the biggest positive to be gleaned from this game was Boeser's play; he has his shot and stride back and seems to be ready to take the next step forward. I was beginning to doubt whether he would ever be a 40-goal player, but if he keeps up the play we saw last night, the player he's on track to be is much more dangerous than the one we've seen for the past couple of seasons.

Hoglander has the offensive instincts to contribute right away in a top-6 role. Watching him play last night, I'm not surprised to see him make the team out of camp. He had some nifty moves with the puck that gained him some extra space and time in the offensive zone and helped us set up. Despite not getting the assist on Horvat's goal, he was a big part of why the play manifested as it did, winning the puck battle against two Oilers; and he was in great position for the rebound on his goal, finding some open ice and going to the net uninhibited.

I thought Holtby looked a bit stiff and was losing track of the puck when it was behind the net too much for my liking, but he got us the win. :)

It's nice to have hockey again.

imo, it's 75% the stride and 25% the confidence that comes with it. that second goal, last season 9 times out of 10 the defender would have gotten his stick on that shot. by the end of the season when he'd totally lost his mojo, he would have hesitated for a second and 10 times out of 10 the defender would have knocked the puck away or boeser would have buttoned and looked for a pass.

but the new/old boeser pumped his legs, dropped his left shoulder to shield the puck and got that rocket off clean.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The only thing certain, is uncertainty.

Because you are talking about near 30 players per team, that's over 900 players. You blanket said it was worst for all players.

But the fact is that everyone reacts to the situation differently. Some players had the playoff bubble experience already and you can tell that they are comfortable.
The point is it’s a more entertaining product with fans imo. You disagree.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The point is it’s a more entertaining product with fans imo. You disagree.

Oh I definitely do.

Have you ever had some jerk stand up the entire game? How about some drunk dude spilling drinks and food everywhere?
Or a rude opposing fan starting fights?

For people watching on TV, whether there are fans or not might not be relevant at all.

I bet you that some people are enjoying being able to hear players yell during the game, or hearing the puck hitting sticks and boards.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Oh I definitely do.

Have you ever had some jerk stand up the entire game? How about some drunk dude spilling drinks and food everywhere?

For people watching on TV, whether there are fans or not might not be relevant at all.

I bet you that some people are enjoying being able to hear players yell during the game, or hearing the puck hitting sticks and boards.
On TV bro. My opinion is sports is a better product on TV with fans. You disagree clearly.

Do you watch other sports? Football completely lost its home field advantages. Soccer the teams can play at a really slow tempo because paying fans aren’t screaming at them. I think there is a noticeable difference in my enjoyment.

The white noise and fake sounds just doesn’t do it for me.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Oh I definitely do.

Had super cheap season tickets in the early 80’s. Way up in the nose bleeds. Elderly couple near us (we are them basically now) had a pair of tickets too, so we got to know them. One game they gave their seats to two younger guys. One of those guys got so drunk he literally :)laugh:) whipped “it out” and peed on the people in front of him! We were getting pounded by 8 in the game (as often happened then) so this guy was the best entertainment of the night. Always thought serving beer was a great idea!!!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Had super cheap season tickets in the early 80’s. Way up in the nose bleeds. Elderly couple near us (we are them basically now) had a pair of tickets too, so we got to know them. One game they gave their seats to two younger guys. One of those guys got so drunk he literally :)laugh:) whipped “it out” and peed on the people in front of him! We were getting pounded by 8 in the game (as often happened then) so this guy was the best entertainment of the night. Always thought serving beer was a great idea!!!

definitely not the most famous person to whip it out and pee on someone at the old coliseum

"no rain" indeed

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
On TV bro. My opinion is sports is a better product on TV with fans. You disagree clearly.

Do you watch other sports? Football completely lost its home field advantages. Soccer the teams can play at a really slow tempo because paying fans aren’t screaming at them. I think there is a noticeable difference in my enjoyment.

The white noise and fake sounds just doesn’t do it for me.

lol @ someone disagreeing with this (fine) but also unable to see that one would like hockey with fans better.

yikes

Reactions: 420Canuck

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i sold beer in the stands in bc place when it opened. what a shit show working lions games on level 4 was until they put a stop to beer sales in the stands. half the time there'd be a line up of guys watching the game from the end of the tunnel who would buy the max 4 beers each and clean me out before i ever caught sight of the field. guys would buy four beer from me with multiple full beers at their feet. at the end of the game there would be numerous guys you needed a crane to get out of the endzone seats and the fights were brutal. no such thing as serving it right. you'd get killed if you tried to cut someone off.

but we were on commission and made a killing between that and tips.

otoh it really sucked to sell souvenirs up there. you needed security. not a good idea even to display game jerseys in the middle of the stand because some dude would try a grab and dash..

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
i sold beer in the stands in bc place when it opened. what a shit show working lions games on level 4 was until they put a stop to beer sales in the stands. half the time there'd be a line up of guys watching the game from the end of the tunnel who would buy the max 4 beers each and clean me out before i ever caught sight of the field. guys would buy four beer from me with multiple full beers at their feet. at the end of the game there would be numerous guys you needed a crane to get out of the endzone seats and the fights were brutal. no such thing as serving it right. you'd get killed if you tried to cut someone off.

but we were on commission and made a killing between that and tips.

otoh it really sucked to sell souvenirs up there. you needed security. not a good idea even to display game jerseys in the middle of the stand because some dude would try a grab and dash..

I was at a game in the first summer at BC Place, August 1983, end zone seats about two rows from the top. People two-fisting beer all game long. Lions beat the crap out of Winnipeg and near the end a big brawl broke out about ten seats over with at least four guys trying to beat the crap out of each other. Had season tickets through the 2000's and at some point in that decade they decided to end beer sales in the third quarter.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I was at a game in the first summer at BC Place, August 1983, end zone seats about two rows from the top. People two-fisting beer all game long. Lions beat the crap out of Winnipeg and near the end a big brawl broke out about ten seats over with at least four guys trying to beat the crap out of each other. Had season tickets through the 2000's and at some point in that decade they decided to end beer sales in the third quarter.
I was born august ‘83

Reactions: VanillaCoke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->