Post-Game Talk: GAME #1: Canucks 5, Oilers 3 (Boeser x2, Horvat, Höglander, Gaudette)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
First star:
tenor.gif

Second star:
tenor.gif

Third Star:
tumblr_n61fz8baef1skgr6ro1_400.gifv

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Petey was amazing tonight. Brock was on a mission.

Of the new guys, I thought Schmidt looked real good. Solidifies the D corps. Holtby made some big saves, but also looked a bit slow on a couple of the goals. Didn't really notice Hamonic, and Hoglander was what we all thought he'd be.

Oilers defence was terrible, and Koskinen sucks. They can't win with what they have there.
I don't know what Holland is thinking with that d-corps. What a waste of McD and Drai's prime years. Just criminal.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Hoglander blew away my cautious optimism. Beyond just the expected skill and tenacity he was just so confident and just did so many things right at all times. He was absolutely all over the ice, might have been the outright best player of one or two periods. There was one point where he took a pass backwards going into the offensive zone to protect the puck and made a beautiful dish across the ice. He's for real.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Hoglander blew away my cautious optimism. Beyond just the expected skill and tenacity he was just so confident and just did so many things right at all times. He was absolutely all over the ice, might have been the outright best player of one or two periods. There was one point where he took a pass backwards going into the offensive zone to protect the puck and made a beautiful dish across the ice. He's for real.

Yeah that made me do a double-take. Nifty stick work, fast feet and excellent vision.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Yeah, the confidence was really what stood out to me. That saucer pass to Horvat is not something a rookie would attempt usually but DAMN!

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Very happy with the new additions. Juolevi looked just fine minus one error that might have been a stick in the hands anyway, Hoglander looked phenomenal for a first game outing, Schmidt was an absolutely wonderful steady do-it-all presence on our blueline and Holtby looked really really sharp. This team is not taking a step back this year.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Great game, 2nd period was a bit yikes but had a strong finish.

Hoglander belongs in that Top-6 role, you can already tell. As long as he consistently puts in work like that, he's a Top-6 guy.

Horvat's line backpacked the first half of the game, but Pettersson's line cleaned up in the 3rd. Bottom 6, aside from Gaudette's goal, was pretty meh tonight.

D was solid for the most part. Juolevi had a rough go after the 1st, but hey, one game. Hamonic just needs to get into game shape. Edler is gunna Edler, looked veryyyy slow against their top-6.

Holtby was fantastic.

Going to be a fun year.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Oilers fan popping in. I'm also a Caps fan, and Holtby's been my favourite goaltender for almost a decade now, so I just wanted to say it was nice to see him play well for you guys tonight. Would be sweet if he could have a great year for you guys (except against us). Now I hope we can beat Demko tomorrow. Good game tonight! :)

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Second line and Boeser look great, glad to see it.

Mac needs to really take ahold of this opportunity. Wasn’t great tonight and won’t get the benefit doubt if he has a slow start.

I think Jake as fine tonight but isn’t a fit on a scoring line. Might fare better when back on the “third” line.

On the Oilers Kahun definitely flashed some skill and I think there’s some potential in Puljujarvi as a high end checking forward. Very noticeable. Thought RNH looked poor, but early days with no preseason.

Scared for McDavid tomorrow.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't know what Holland is thinking with that d-corps. What a waste of McD and Drai's prime years. Just criminal.

triage. he has a tough road.

there was no one on the oilers i feared with the puck other than the big two. yamamoto has yet to show me he is not another complimentary mirage. barrie was not there.

i likeed pool party as a bottom six energy guy.

Reactions: ugghhh

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Oilers fan popping in. I'm also a Caps fan, and Holtby's been my favourite goaltender for almost a decade now, so I just wanted to say it was nice to see him play well for you guys tonight. Would be sweet if he could have a great year for you guys (except against us). Now I hope we can beat Demko tomorrow. Good game tonight! :)

Was a fun game! Lots of great guys on your team that I really enjoy watching, all the best for you guys this season.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
PK played amazing, overall team game was solid for 50 minutes. Not bad for a short training camp with half the defense and the goaltender being new to the team.

No one can control McDavid, but he got 0 points for all those chances, so this is a great start regardless.

Still lots for the team to work on defensively, especially communication between Holtby and the D.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
How differently are we thinking about Virtanen if that puck is bar in and not bar out?

I thought he quietly had a pretty nice game. Lots of very noticeable high-effort plays with the puck off his stick both offensively and defensively. I thought he checked well and got close a couple times. I don't think he's ever going to be a big time puck on his stick playdriver, and was a little bit of a fish out of water on that top line, but I'm content with a solid heavy hitting checking presence that can roof 20-25 in a full season up and down the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad