Post-Game Talk: GAME #1: Canucks 5, Oilers 3 (Boeser x2, Horvat, Höglander, Gaudette)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What a pleasant start to the season. Would be nice to win tomorrow tooooooo.

Are those who objected to us optimists penciling Hoglander into the top 6 .... I noticed the announcers are already asking if we have another Calder finalist? He won't beat Lafrenaire (or however you spell it) but next year we have pods so we could have a finalist 5 years in a row!.

It's. Been. One. Game.

Reactions: jd22

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
4trkks.jpg
4trkks

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The positives.....Hoglander might have been better in this game than he even was in the scrimmages.....a two point night, and set up another half dozen chances....completely transforms that Horvat line. Holtby was strong, but thought the blueline struggled at times. Unfair to judge Hamonic who had a tough night....Green threw him in there after only two practices and he hadn't played a game in a year.

The negatives....I have no idea what they're going to do with that fourth line....they won't score a goal in a month, but they're also terrible defensively. Sutter alone did a fly-by at least three times in the defensive zone. I just can't fathom what Green sees in them.

If this was a normal pre-season, Rafferty, Rathbone and maybe even Michaelis would be in for the next game. But undoubtedly Green comes back with the same lineup, with Demko in goal. He better be sharp because there's no chance the Canucks blank McDavid two games in a row.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
I think they actually did pretty well with creating some offensive zone time and creating a few good chances, but given the nature of that line a "Beagle chance" is not much of a chance at all lol

Sutter can create chances for sure, maybe my dislike is irrational to not give them credit for that at least. Only time I really noticed MacEwan was when they couldn’t get out of the zone.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Jake is Jake. There are still some people holding on to false hope but I've accepted his limitations and what kind of player he IS. Doesn't mean he isn't still a useful player on the team.

I could lie and say that if he was defensively capable, he wouldn't get shit from me but that's simply not true.

It is so frustrating to watch someone with that much talent just not understand how to use it.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The positives.....Hoglander might have been better in this game than he even was in the scrimmages.....a two point night, and set up another half dozen chances....completely transforms that Horvat line. Holtby was strong, but thought the blueline struggled at times. Unfair to judge Hamonic who had a tough night....Green threw him in there after only two practices and he hadn't played a game in a year.

The negatives....I have no idea what they're going to do with that fourth line....they won't score a goal in a month, but they're also terrible defensively. Sutter alone did a fly-by at least three times in the defensive zone. I just can't fathom what Green sees in them.

If this was a normal pre-season, Rafferty, Rathbone and maybe even Michaelis would be in for the next game. But undoubtedly Green comes back with the same lineup, with Demko in goal. He better be sharp because there's no chance the Canucks blank McDavid two games in a row.
On the Larson goal he was so out of position ....

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You realize even I was pleasantly surprised tonight. And yes I know, but what a great start for him. I think he will be sticking for the whole year.

I misread your post and thought you said he would beat Lafraniere. My mistake.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Oilers fan popping in. I'm also a Caps fan, and Holtby's been my favourite goaltender for almost a decade now, so I just wanted to say it was nice to see him play well for you guys tonight. Would be sweet if he could have a great year for you guys (except against us). Now I hope we can beat Demko tomorrow. Good game tonight! :)
What makes you think Green won't go back to Holts?

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Disagree, Jake is a lot faster than Penner, when he is skating that is.

But if you want to discuss, take it to Jake thread, this thread is about this game.

Jake plays like he wants to be Hoglander, but he should play like Burrows, chase the puck down, get it to line mates, and then go to the net.
I dunno I think the Penner comparison is good, 20 goal scorer for the most part, one good season of + 30, was a very effective player until he got paid and under performed for this contract....., you are certainly right about the speed though.

I kind of like what Benning ( or was it green ) who said to keep Virtanen cook and try to become our Tuch, that would be his ideal role this year, performed well enough on the top six but doesn’t belong there.

sorry I know this isn’t the Virtanen thread

Reactions: Ginger Papa and Pip

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
sloppy first game back for everyone. holtby was good. rookie boeser is back. that shot wow. hughe had a "average game". hoglander is a true gamer. he's not afraid to muck it along the boards. defense was good. having schmidt back there backing up hughes helps the transition game immensely. i thought olli juoveli was alright. but gets beaten wide alot. may need to work on closing the gap a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad