GDT: Game 1: Avs vs Flames - 7PM Mountain

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
I only have one big concern at this point....do we have a big shot from the point on the power play? Makar doesn't seem to look to shoot

Reactions: Murzu

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I only have one big concern at this point....do we have a big shot from the point on the power play? Makar doesn't seem to look to shoot

Actually, Cale typically does, he just needs to figure out how to get open shooting lanes at this level consistently and build some confidence in his shot still being a weapon. Given time, I'm not worried about that at all, even though we don't have a Chara or Weber on the backend.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Man, just imagine if this team had Panarin or someone like Hall on 2nd line wing, it would be lights out

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It was the first game and it is hard to really derive much from it in general. I thought Girard and Rants were spectacular. Donskoi, Kadri, MacK, Nuke, and Compher were all pretty damn good. Graves played his role well enough and I think if he can carve out PK ability, he's going to stick for a while. Makar just flat out had a bad game, there were the flashes because he's a flashy player, but he didn't look good (and he passed into MacK's skates on the PP :naughty:). Thought Jost struggled as well. Grubs was shaky to start, but was playing well by the end of the game. Overall, glad we got a win and there isn't much we can derive from one game with as many new faces as the Avs have.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I'll agree with the consensus on the new guys, including the rookies on defense. I am going to love Nuke if he keeps that up. Such a menacing presence with these high shoulders, that hunched skating style and (mostly) that giant chin.

One thing that stood out positively for me was that this was the first game where I saw legit top-pairing offensive instincts from Girard. I looked at him as more of a ~2015 Spurgeon type, but I might have to upgrade my projection to the ~2018 Spurgeon level.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
Actually, Cale typically does, he just needs to figure out how to get open shooting lanes at this level consistently and build some confidence in his shot still being a weapon. Given time, I'm not worried about that at all, even though we don't have a Chara or Weber on the backend.

Yeah I'm not worried either, with a couple big body tip artists in front in Kadri and Lando, a well placed wrister is more than enough, and probably gives a better chance to get a big deflection.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know if you lot see it the same way, but it is pretty damn remarkable how good our team looked last night and that's without us having a non-1st round pick drafted by Avs in the line up (besides Timmins).

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Ok finally time to settle down with some thoughts:

-Girard was the best player on the ice tonight for both teams. He was simply phenomenal at both ends. Broke up so many plays and has such great speed and awareness. Looks like he took even another step this season.

-Rantanen what can we say. No training camp no problem. Dude is an absolute beast.

-Mack and Landy were good tonight but not amazing. They'll get there.

-Nichushkin wow. I did not expect this from him. Dude was a backchecking and forechecking machine tonight and was making himself a nuisance in front of the net on 2 of the goals. If he can keep this effort up he'll provide nice bonus depth.

-New guys Kadri Bura and Donk were all good tonight. Didn't love Bellemare felt like he didn't win many draws and took that dumb penalty.

-EJ looked a bit more like 2 years ago EJ which is good news for us.

-Timmins was good I thought. Didn't like Makar tonight too much tbh. Felt a bit jittery and didnt defend Giordano's goal that well.

-JTC played like a man possessed in the 3rd period.

-Jost still sucks

-Grubauer had a shaky first 2 periods but followed it up with a big 3rd. Hope for more consistency going forward.
This sums up my thoughts pretty well except for your Jost comment. I don't think he sucked. He had an OK game and certainly wasn't a liability.

I would add Nieto had a very good game as well except for his penalty. He usually has a slow start.

Glad Gru came back strong in the 3rd.

I am not concerned at all with our D. The kids will figure it all quickly. Probably just nerves.

I would also love to see a JTC-Kadri-Donskoi line.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
shutterstock_532006042-656x356.jpg

Also, it's not even fair Avs were able to add Kadri and Nichushkin this year. I won't complain, though. Beautiful hockey against a strong team.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Sorry for the long post.

The Can was packed.

I'd have paired Girard and Makar. Put EJ with Zadaorov. The D escaped more than a few times last night but I very much liked how they covered the slot and intercepted passes for the most part while the Flames were sending them through. We all knew the D would have some rough spots but overall, you can see that it should solidify as a unit sooner rather than later.

Timmins was good overall but had a couple of bad plays.

I think Jost lost the puck while the Avs were cycling down low, it may have been on the PP early on which was a disappointment. Wouldn't say he had a bad game but nothing spectacular. I'm a Jost fan but I also can see the merits of a Compher-Kadri-Donskoi line. It would allow the Avs to fully utilize Kadri's skill.

Loved the fact the Avs had secondary scoring.

Burakovsky was decent. He got one shot off from the slot and I liked that he took it rather than looked to pass.

I also liked the team's on ice awareness for the most part. Say what you will about Graves but that included him in quickly locating and grabbing loose pucks. He wasn't great early but improved by the end.

The Flames attempted to stand up the Avs transition game and clog the neutral zone to block zone entry. It reminded me of the Avs Wild PO series under Roy. After the Wild eliminated the Avs, the Blackhawks overcame the Wild by simply chipping the puck over the Wild players in the neutral zone and sent their forwards flying into the O-zone to chase the puck down. It forced the Wild D to back off the forecheck pressure. That's what I thought JB should have done here.

The Avs forecheck was great. Intercepted a lot of passes.

I understand why Makar drops the puck off or back passes it to MacKinnon when on the breakout but when he finally gets comfortable with carrying the puck in, the opponent's D is going to have a horrible time choosing to cover him or MacKinnon rushing into the O-zone.

JB should have been pretty upset with the players immediately after the Avs 4th goal. The defensive effort on the Flames third goal immediately thereafter was lame.

Grubauer looked great in the third but the Avs sat back. I kept watching the Flames rapidly catch up in shot totals in the last 10 minutes.

Overall, the pace is much more fun to watch with JB's transition game. The Avs did not get interminably pinned in their zone on the cycle but watching that third period was worrisome.

Someone mentioned that they don't think EJ is 100% yet. I agree. You can see players like EJ are slow in comparison to some of our speedier forwards. The Avs team speed is insane.

Zadorov had some brain farts, as usual, but also some nice plays.

The rust was a little more evident as the game progressed but not with Rantanen. What a Big Moose.

Love me some Donskoi. We're gonna love that the Avs acquired him.

Forgot to mention Nichuskin looked very good for his role. If he can be another Calvert then the team depth will be insane.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Really liked Comphers game last night. He seems to be really coming into his own the last year or so.

The thing I like most about him is he gets better when the game gets more intense or the game is on the line. He has a bit of that Drury clutchness in him (albeit he's a fair bit less talented than Drury was).

I'm glad Joe identified him as a core piece and locked him up long term at a decent rate. Great 3C or emergency 2RW

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I guess I don't understand the concept of benching. What is Timmins going to learn by sitting on the bench for half a period? Wouldn't mind seeing Barbs swap in next to Timmins next game. Gravy doesn't float my gravy boat.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Funny how Flames fans are calling Zadorov a p***y for not fighting lucic when Tkatchuk literally turtled last season when Kassian wanted to fight him.
It was the same thing a few years back when Landy wouldn't fight him in a Boston game. Bruins fans were all over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad