GDT: Game 1: Avs vs Flames - 7PM Mountain

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
I interpreted Zadorov looking over to the refs as not "crying to them", but "look I'm not dropping my gloves or furthering this" but then he got 5 for fighting anyway lol. Also it wasn't boarding when he initiated the check the Flames player just turned after he was going for the hit like an idiot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Why should Z waste his time fighting a 4th liner anyways at that point in the game.

And when Bednar emphasizes perhaps more than any other coach, to play between the whistles, and has understandably been critical of Zadorov taking penalties.

Z was trying to get Lucic to do something stupid and take a penalty, and he absolutely should have with that hard punch to the jaw. Another example of the hypocrisy of the league's stance on head shots.

McLennan is a moron anyway. He's said a bunch of idiotic things over the years.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Finally got around to watching the game.

So, just let me start by saying Mikko is going to win the Hart and Art Ross this year.

I thought the team looked great. The offense was clicking, everyone was attacking, and none of that overly flashy garbage. Top line looked good. The depth is really starting to show. Donskoi looks like he can slide in anywhere in the line. Jost looked notably faster. Compher looked sharp. Kadri looked great on the PP. Even the 4th line looked like they could score a few.

The defense didn't get much work tonight but looked a little rusty. Makar was looking a bit lost in defensive zone and had a couple sloppy passes to MacKinnon on the PP. I see the offensive potential though. Graves had a so-so game. Grubauer didn't have a good game but he didn't need to tonight. Everyone else looked good.

HowlerHasARing

May 19, 2019
Was surprised to see nichushkin and burakovsky on the PP and they were actually not bad (especially Nichushkin). Team looked balanced offensivily too!

Reactions: Murzu

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Just saw this. I don't know if this is gonna do him any favors with the refs, but good on Z for pushing back. I'm so sick of players, coaches, and GM's being afraid to criticize officials for terrible calls. They're protected more than endangered species and they have no accountability for their mistakes.

Z takes some unnecessary hooking or tripping penalties on occasion, but most of his roughing type penalties are BS. Refs treat him the way they treat rookies for some reason, where they look to make an example out of him during games, and then swallow their whistle for other guys. I don't blame him for being sick of it. It's gone on for a long time now.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
They're just "friends". This guy has "best friend" locked up...

tumblr_inline_owv53gvquV1ul7dkr_1280.jpg

Name a more iconic duo

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Just saw this. I don't know if this is gonna do him any favors with the refs, but good on Z for pushing back. I'm so sick of players, coaches, and GM's being afraid to criticize officials for terrible calls. They're protected more than endangered species and they have no accountability for their mistakes.

Z takes some unnecessary hooking or tripping penalties on occasion, but most of his roughing type penalties are BS. Refs treat him the way they treat rookies for some reason, where they look to make an example out of him during games, and then swallow their whistle for other guys. I don't blame him for being sick of it. It's gone on for a long time now.
So true. Big Z is a penalty magnet. He still gets the rookie treatment for some reason. I think if the Avs get far into the post-season this year he’s going to get the vet treatment at that point and he’s going to be that much more valuable.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's like Khaira for us. My dad couldn't care less about hockey but he'll ask about him when there's a game on.
Oh yeah, my dad is the same way. Always interested in what Kadri is doing.
Im going to that November game with 3 Lebs haha.
I'll be there too. Just you wait, you'll see how many Lebs are at that game for Kadri. Hell, my wife's last name is Kadri lol. Whenever Naz is doing good, her dad will claim "yeah that's my nephew"

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Finally got around to watching the game.

So, just let me start by saying Mikko is going to win the Hart and Art Ross this year.

I thought the team looked great. The offense was clicking, everyone was attacking, and none of that overly flashy garbage. Top line looked good. The depth is really starting to show. Donskoi looks like he can slide in anywhere in the line. Jost looked notably faster. Compher looked sharp. Kadri looked great on the PP. Even the 4th line looked like they could score a few.

The defense didn't get much work tonight but looked a little rusty. Makar was looking a bit lost in defensive zone and had a couple sloppy passes to MacKinnon on the PP. I see the offensive potential though. Graves had a so-so game. Grubauer didn't have a good game but he didn't need to tonight. Everyone else looked good.
Bellemare disappointed me a bit but I'm probably biased because I want to see Kamenev centering our 4th line. He did all the right things and certainly wasn't bad but he seems to be a bit too slow for his line to be effective. Give me Calvert, Kamenev and Nichushkin on the 4th line and the PK. Also give me Kaut instead of Burakovsky, although he wasn't bad.

Edit: Actually give me (3) Calvert, Compher and Nichushkin, (2) Jost, Kadri and Donskoi and (4) Kamenev, Bellemare and Kaut. I doubt I'll get to see those lines soon, though.

Last edited:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Like early contribution from Nichushkin. First, nice screen on the power play goal by Donskoi. He was hit in the back, went down but returned to the crease to screen the goalie again. Then, he created some chaos in front for Compher - he drove Calgary's goalie with a defenseman towards to Calvert so Compher could have almost empty net. If assists were awarded for overall contribution to the goal I would give him 1.5 A (0.5 for Donskoi and 1 for Compher). To sum up, it's nice to see that we have someone else to fight on the crease effectively (no jinx) in addition to Landy.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I’m liking zero goal Nuke more than 2nd+3rd Bura so far.

Can we expect that same physicality all the time?

If so, a real nice addition to the bottom 6.
Nuke appears to have hands of stone and absolutely no finish ability, but what I've seen him do is pretty incredible. He skates to the front of the net. Doesn't mind standing there making things tough on a goalie and yes...he steps into people when a scrum begins. If he can keep this up, he'll be everything you could want from a 4th liner with the ability to move higher up due to injuries. I'm actually becoming a fan of his play.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The reaction to the Zadorov/Lucic thing by the referees was a disgrace. One player is grabbed by an opponent and repeatedly punched in the face. Referees don't intervene. Player is penalised. What reaction are you supposed to have?

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
The reaction to the Zadorov/Lucic thing by the referees was a disgrace. One player is grabbed by an opponent and repeatedly punched in the face. Referees don't intervene. Player is penalised. What reaction are you supposed to have?

Refs probably knew that it would have been a game over if they gave us any more PP minutes in that situation. We were already given 2min PP. If they gave us a 5 on 3 for 2 minutes, it would be too unfair for the other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad