GDT: Game 1: Avs vs Flames - 7PM Mountain

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I guess I don't understand the concept of benching. What is Timmins going to learn by sitting on the bench for half a period? Wouldn't mind seeing Barbs swap in next to Timmins next game. Gravy doesn't float my gravy boat.
This is Bednar's way of handling the young guns. And he wasn't really "benched", the game was on the line and he trusted the other guys more to bring it home. With Bednar you have to earn that trust and there is nothing wrong with that. Timmins will get more ice time pretty soon.

Reactions: Murzu and klozge

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It was a weird game to get Timmins in a flow. There were a bunch of penalties early on and then they were trying to protect a lead so his ice time took a big hit.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not only was Rantanen awesome right of the bat despite missing camp, he seems to have found another gear in his skating. He's going to be a monster this year.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Most of the positives have already been covered by other posters, so there are only a few things for me to add:

-The Z/Lucic situation. I thought Z handled that perfectly. He was clearly trying to draw an instigator or a roughing penalty from Lucic, and he was successful in doing so. I don't even think the hit on Czarnik warranted a penalty. I love Czarnik (former Miami guy), but he turned at the last second and totally set himself up poorly for that hit. Watching at the Can, I don't recall seeing a refs arm go up on the initial hit. They decided to call the boarding after Lucic came in to goon up Z.

-I've seen some negative comments on Graves in this thread, but I think he was solid. Nothing spectacular, but he's exactly what you want from a bottom pair PK d-man. I'm totally fine with he or Rosen in that 3rd pairing LD spot. Keep Barbs off the ice at all costs. Timmins was good except for the one bad turnover in the 2nd period, but he had some really nice plays as well to set up scoring chances.

-The third goal looked like it was more on Grubauer than anyone else. He had a chance to freeze the puck but mishandled it which allowed Calgary to gain possession and put the Avs a bit out of position. Grubauer looked a little shaky in the first two periods, but he really shut the door in the third and made some huge saves which was great to see.

Can't wait for tomorrow night!

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
What a fun game to watch!

DO NOT TRADE BIG Z!!! He makes games so much more entertaining, and seems to really get into other team's heads. I think he's one of those players that could get let go and his absence will be noticed a lot more than his presence.

I like the new roster additions (and most subtractions). The rookie mistakes don't bug me. I don't expect rookies to play anything like vets on game 1.

Jost was the only thing that stood out to me as a bit disappointing. He wasn't horrible, it just seems like he's not going to offer any particular strength to an NHL club. There will always be better scorers for those roles, better defense players for others, guys better on the boards for those, ect. Hopefully he can get it going but it seems less likely as time goes on.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Please for the love of god give Kadri Donskoi. Jost and Bura both looked useless 5 on 5 last night. Trying real hard to it be a Debbie downer after a win but man it’s frustrating to watch Kadri play like a #2 C with 3rd line caliber wingers

Reactions: CobraAcesS

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
What a fun game to watch!

DO NOT TRADE BIG Z!!! He makes games so much more entertaining, and seems to really get into other team's heads. I think he's one of those players that could get let go and his absence will be noticed a lot more than his presence.

I like the new roster additions (and most subtractions). The rookie mistakes don't bug me. I don't expect rookies to play anything like vets on game 1.

Jost was the only thing that stood out to me as a bit disappointing. He wasn't horrible, it just seems like he's not going to offer any particular strength to an NHL club. There will always be better scorers for those roles, better defense players for others, guys better on the boards for those, ect. Hopefully he can get it going but it seems less likely as time goes on.

This is how I feel. I mean he has moments but he just really doesn't provide anything. He's not good enough to provide top 6 scoring, seems a bit ineffective outside the top 6... He's got a slick shot, yet loses the puck all the time. He also isn't slow but he isn't fast enough or big enough. I just don't think he fits on the Avs roster other than filling a space. He really really belongs in the AHL right now. Seems kinda like a Ghetto type player career wise. He'll try to carve out a role and show flashes but will ultimately end up being in the AHL or Europe.

Reactions: MacBradley

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
This is how I feel. I mean he has moments but he just really doesn't provide anything. He's not good enough to provide top 6 scoring, seems a bit ineffective outside the top 6... He's got a slick shot, yet loses the puck all the time. He also isn't slow but he isn't fast enough or big enough. I just don't think he fits on the Avs roster other than filling a space. He really really belongs in the AHL right now. Seems kinda like a Ghetto type player career wise. He'll try to carve out a role and show flashes but will ultimately end up being in the AHL or Europe.
They should move him down to 3C, he looked good in the playoffs there.
Burakovsky-Kadri-Donskoi
Nieto-Jost-Compher
Calvert Bellemare Nichushkin

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If Compher and Jost are both on the 3rd line, I'd want to ensure Compher takes the majority of the face-offs even if Jost is playing center. Last season Compher was 49.18% while Jost maintained 37.67%. Ideally you have someone above 50% centering the 3rd line but...the AVs for some reason have sucked for a couple of years at them.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Most of the positives have already been covered by other posters, so there are only a few things for me to add:

-The Z/Lucic situation. I thought Z handled that perfectly. He was clearly trying to draw an instigator or a roughing penalty from Lucic, and he was successful in doing so. I don't even think the hit on Czarnik warranted a penalty. I love Czarnik (former Miami guy), but he turned at the last second and totally set himself up poorly for that hit. Watching at the Can, I don't recall seeing a refs arm go up on the initial hit. They decided to call the boarding after Lucic came in to goon up Z.

-I've seen some negative comments on Graves in this thread, but I think he was solid. Nothing spectacular, but he's exactly what you want from a bottom pair PK d-man. I'm totally fine with he or Rosen in that 3rd pairing LD spot. Keep Barbs off the ice at all costs. Timmins was good except for the one bad turnover in the 2nd period, but he had some really nice plays as well to set up scoring chances.

-The third goal looked like it was more on Grubauer than anyone else. He had a chance to freeze the puck but mishandled it which allowed Calgary to gain possession and put the Avs a bit out of position. Grubauer looked a little shaky in the first two periods, but he really shut the door in the third and made some huge saves which was great to see.

Can't wait for tomorrow night!
Yah Gru even said himself it wasn't his best outing. I like that kind of accountability. He also mentioned he didn't see any rubber for a long time which is partially why he had a so so night. Grubauer was stellar in the third.

Reactions: Avs_19 and Murzu

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Please for the love of god give Kadri Donskoi. Jost and Bura both looked useless 5 on 5 last night. Trying real hard to it be a Debbie downer after a win but man it’s frustrating to watch Kadri play like a #2 C with 3rd line caliber wingers
I didn't hate Josts game last night he had a few great looks just couldn't finish. Maybe after 10 games or so if Jost cant bury these Kadri passes then yah move him somewhere else.

Reactions: Murzu

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If Compher and Jost are both on the 3rd line, I'd want to ensure Compher takes the majority of the face-offs even if Jost is playing center. Last season Compher was 49.18% while Jost maintained 37.67%. Ideally you have someone above 50% centering the 3rd line but...the AVs for some reason have sucked for a couple of years at them.

I'm hoping practicing with Kadri and PEB helps the team in general in that area.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Nathan is best friends with Sid you would think he'd show Nate a thing or two haha.

They're just "friends". This guy has "best friend" locked up...

tumblr_inline_owv53gvquV1ul7dkr_1280.jpg

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Kadri had some really inventive plays, think when he gets more comfortable with this team he’s gonna be lethal

Really haven’t seen much of Nichuskin before this, love his physicality seems like he could be a real bull out there

Burakovsky I really shouldn’t call after 1 game but I didn’t notice him too much on the ice

Bellamare on a line with Calvert looks like a absolute nightmare to backcheck against

DONSKOI!!!

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jamie McLennan embarrassing himself on TSN talking about the Lucic/Zadorov situation

Didn't see it but Lucic said after the game that his team responded well to what he did and he's right.

Reactions: Murzu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->