GDT: Game 1: Avs vs Flames - 7PM Mountain

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
I'm still AMAZED at the restraint Z showed on that Lucic nonsense. In years past, he would have done something dumb. It's not his fault the refs refused to call that the right way out of fear of losing control of the game.

I hope he keeps it up. Play physical and have no fear, don't take dumb penalties.

I do agree, but part of me wishes he dropped 'em and tore that neanderthal in half.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Kadri was fantastic, created chances early, clearly plays the pest game well, and was fantastic on faceoffs.
Donskoi came as advertised to those who have watched SJ over the last few seasons, guy is an absolute grinder with a pretty damn good shot.
I see the flashes in Burakovsky, too early to really throw him in the dumpster yet he had an okay game.
Nuke looked great in that role, and it's a role that is new to him, really excited to see if that guy pans out on the Avs he's absolutely massive.

The youth in the D was noticeable, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as some people expected even Graves had his moments of brilliance.

This team can be really good, the speed and our transition game is lethal. That pp1 unit could've just as easily scored 4 goals and they almost did, that unit is going to be beyond deadly this season.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
That game was fun 2nd and 3rd got really sloppy. It's crazy how different the PP looks with Rants on it. Man he is a beast Cgy just had no answer for him. Every line looks dangerous at times. Man this depth thing is nice we should've tried it way sooner!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Besides Graves, a bit of Johnson, and Jost I thought everyone looked fantastic. I was pretty impressed by Burakovsky, that was most definitely the best he's played throughout the season. Some mistakes no doubt, but was more noticeable than whatever the hell Jost did. I would very much like to see Compher on that line next game and demote Jost.

Holy smokes our team is fast and they look like they're all in their prime. I can't wait until Kadri gets more comfortable because for how much they want to throw out Tkachuk out there to do what he does, Kadri was following him and you lot know that Kadri can be a psychopath. Also holy smokes Girard was amazing, not trying to take credit away from Rantanen since he was probably the best player, but Samwise was easily up on that conversation as well.
I know that big line you guys have is awesome but honestly it might be worth trying Rantanen with Kadri at some point.

Reactions: Koolboss and Murzu

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I know that big line you guys have is awesome but honestly it might be worth trying Rantanen with Kadri at some point.

Depends on how the season is going, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bednar doing the line juggling he likes to do mid-season.

Reactions: Murzu

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Besides Graves, a bit of Johnson, and Jost I thought everyone looked fantastic. I was pretty impressed by Burakovsky, that was most definitely the best he's played throughout the season. Some mistakes no doubt, but was more noticeable than whatever the hell Jost did. I would very much like to see Compher on that line next game and demote Jost.

Holy smokes our team is fast and they look like they're all in their prime. I can't wait until Kadri gets more comfortable because for how much they want to throw out Tkachuk out there to do what he does, Kadri was following him and you lot know that Kadri can be a psychopath. Also holy smokes Girard was amazing, not trying to take credit away from Rantanen since he was probably the best player, but Samwise was easily up on that conversation as well.

I want one game with a JTC - Kadri - Donskoi 2nd line. I know it would kill any attempt at making a decent 3rd line but I want to see it at least once. Jost and Bura are holding back Kadri too much.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
JTC was in the conversation for player of the game as well IMO. The thing with Jost is he’s always in the right place and it’s not because he’s lucky, he’s a very heads up player and he’ll always be where he needs to. If only he had just a little extra natural talent/explosiveness he’d be a hell of a player.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I thought Jost actually looked pretty good. Makar wasn't good at all, hopefully he settles down.
The PP definitely misses Barrie, Makar didnt look that comfortable there.

Reactions: Murzu and Jayevs

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Thought Jost looked good too, 4 shots on goal 3 hits in 11 1/2 minutes including no PP and PK time. Felt like he was playing the same way he did in round 2 last season.

Reactions: Murzu and Jayevs

Shrink101

Jun 30, 2019
Montreal
I thought he had some good moments. I think he'd benifit greatly from a sports psychologist. He has another level and had shown glimpses but needs to find the right headspace.

Tyson Jost has found more support and has big plans for himself, the Avs

Jost is armed this season with more support. He used to talk to his sports psychologist in Penticton, British Columbia, a couple of times per week. Now the conversations are more regular, if not daily, and he is also working with other professionals in Denver.

Reactions: Murzu and S3rkie

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Ok finally time to settle down with some thoughts:

-Girard was the best player on the ice tonight for both teams. He was simply phenomenal at both ends. Broke up so many plays and has such great speed and awareness. Looks like he took even another step this season.

-Rantanen what can we say. No training camp no problem. Dude is an absolute beast.

-Mack and Landy were good tonight but not amazing. They'll get there.

-Nichushkin wow. I did not expect this from him. Dude was a backchecking and forechecking machine tonight and was making himself a nuisance in front of the net on 2 of the goals. If he can keep this effort up he'll provide nice bonus depth.

-New guys Kadri Bura and Donk were all good tonight. Didn't love Bellemare felt like he didn't win many draws and took that dumb penalty.

-EJ looked a bit more like 2 years ago EJ which is good news for us.

-Timmins was good I thought. Didn't like Makar tonight too much tbh. Felt a bit jittery and didnt defend Giordano's goal that well.

-JTC played like a man possessed in the 3rd period.

-Jost still sucks

-Grubauer had a shaky first 2 periods but followed it up with a big 3rd. Hope for more consistency going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: