GDT: Game 1: Avs vs Flames - 7PM Mountain

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
Went to the game by some luck.... 1st Avs game after being a fan since birth... excuse my excitement/long post.. f the lames
Kadri looked great..... Donskoi looked strong... Bura didn't look like a plug.... Sammy and Cale look amazing live as on TV....Ej played Great in the 3rd, Zadorov looked fine...God bless Landy.....Nate looked pissed off in the third....Gru made it count....1st and 2nd made there presence felt... 3rd line looked good, Nieto and compher looked solid. 4th line and 3rd d looked un noticed, which is good...building was rocking....thank God hockey is back.

Edit= Colorado was cheering crazy for Mikko

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
I remember worrying that Mikko's lengthy contract negotiations would cause him to come out of the gates slowly. Turns out Mikko did just fine over the summer. He looked absolutely dominant tonight

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sorry for the lengthy reaction post.

How in the hell does Mikko Rantanen miss all of training camp and pre-season, only get a couple practices in, and step into game 1 looking like he’s in Hart trophy form? No rust whatsoever with the puck. Even took a big elbow from Tkachuk in the jaw and shook it off. One of the more impressive performances I’ve seen from a hockey player given the circumstances. Mere mortals simply can’t do that. Like a mini version of Forsberg missing the whole regular season and then stepping into the playoffs and dominating.

Avs power play is gonna be #1 at the end of the season if they can stay healthy. They are just dominating out there. Kadri’s puck handling and dangerous sniping ability give them five legit scoring threats out there, and some beautiful puck movement. Avs are gonna get a lot of PP chances again too because they just skate circles round teams until they have to trip or hook them.

Grubauer made some good saves, but also looked a little shaky early on. Played his best in the 3rd period though. Hopefully he keeps that going.

Makar and Timmins had some nice moments but also some rookie turnovers. Hopefully just some nerves and they settle in as the season goes on.

Nichuskin with another solid game after a good pre-season. I don’t know how consistent he’s gonna be this year, but I really think the Avs with their up temp system gives him the best opportunity to succeed in the NHL. If he can’t make in Colorado he’s not gonna make it. He’s showing some good passing and back checking just like he did in pre-season too which is exactly what he needs to do to be multi dimensional.

What do you know Lucic punches someone again with his glove on and the dumbass refs only give him an extra 10 minute misconduct. How do you let him punch someone straight in the face and not give the other team a power play? Zadorov gets called for friggin boarding because Czarnik turns at the last second. Nothing about those calls make any sense, but neither did three of the other calls they made on the Avs, or the missed high stick on Landy that led to his goal. Terrible game by the zebras tonight.

Speaking of players that punch people in the face with their glove on, Tkachuk sure is annoying to play against but I love how many turnovers he has. He had about five terrible passes to nobody that sent the puck either out of the zone or led to a scoring chance for the Avs. Keep it going dummy.

That Jost-Kadri-Burakovsky line looked exactly like what they are. Three guys who’ve never played together before this year. Hopefully they can build up some chemistry, but it may take a little bit. Got better as the game went on and Jost had a few nice chances setup by Kadri though so that may be a good sign.

Kadri had a great game though. Doing so many little things, and just out battling guys which I love to see. He just willed the face-off win on the Avs 4th goal. Could have quit like three different times on the puck battle, but kept fighting for it and eventually won it to set up the beautiful feed from Nate to Mikko. That goal doesn’t happen without that effort. Made some rock solid hits and helped Landy let the Flames know not to mess with Mikko and Makar. Perfect example of a guy you hate when he’s not on your team and love when he is.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I didn't mind Jost. He's creating chances and if he does, he's going to put up some points. I don't think it's ideal to have both Burakowski and him as wingers on the same line though. Donskoi should be on Kadri's wing.

Yeah he had a slow start but also a few good chances like you mentioned. Also finished with 4 shots. More than any other player except Nate and Mikko.

Reactions: Murzu

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Just finished watching the game. Great game.

Apart from the obvious ones, I really enjoyed Nichushkin's play. I am also really glad Byram wasn't on the ice yet. Not to take anything away from Byram, but Makar and Timmins is enough rookie for now. Once they have really settled, the next one in line can join.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Lose the Corsi, win the game?

But seriously, how did we lose the Corsi? We were dominant through the first period. Looked like NHL v AHL.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
How are people disappointed with Jost? He looked quicker than last season, and actually had a few chances to score. He has a good shot, and Kadri is looking like a good playmaker. Jost scores 15+ goals this season.

Kadri is a better stick handler than I thought he would be. He’s really good at solo missions with the puck, and creating chances out of nothing. He needs to be since he doesn’t get one of the big-3 on his line.

Just another game for 92-29-96.

Makar had a bad game. Didn’t think Timmins did many great things either, but it was both of their first NHL regular season game so they get a pass.

Girard might be the team’s #1 defenceman this year. He looks stronger too. Was funny seeing him and Gaudreau go at it.

Z showed restraint, but let’s be real. Like Landeskog and EJ from years’ past, he had no interest in fighting Lucic and I don’t blame him. That’s not one he is going to win.

Lastly, happy to see all the new guys find some success early. Burakovsky looks like a poor man’s Rantanen. The way many on this board talked about him, I was expecting a poor man’s Colbourne. It’s early, but he looks like he could be a positive addition.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Lose the Corsi, win the game?

But seriously, how did we lose the Corsi? We were dominant through the first period. Looked like NHL v AHL.

Yeah we won the 1st but I thought the 2nd and 3rd were carried by the Flames. It was a good first outing, you could tell that our boys have some rust to their game but that'll get taken care of soon enough.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I like the line-up a lot. We need to give that second line some time to gel. Sure, if we are 10-12 games deep and Bura has 1 goal and Jost has 2 assists and it looks like Kadri is being held back, then mix things up. I posted right after we signed Donkey that a JTC-Kadri-Donkey line could be the ultimate pesky second line that still can surprise you with skill.

But the line-up last night is the one that gives us the best chance at having our peak offense. We have the luxury of being a bit patient with the second line because JTC and Donkey don't need a skill center to be effective. They are going to create a ton of chances with speed, slipperiness and all-out jam no matter where you put them - and then it's just a matter of them finding a bit more consistency in their finished product from years past. And both have good enough shots to do it. They can score 20-25 goals from the third line with Nieto or Calvert. There's a lot more upside if you can unlock Bura and/or Jost next to Kadri by giving them time to develop some chemistry. I'm not saying its a lock to work but it is absolutely worth sticking with for a while.

Btw, how nice is it for us (and specifically Bednar) to have a 4th line anchored by a real veteran, checking line leader like PEB? No more Johnny Malkin or Sheldon Dries. If Nuke plays like last night consistently, we will finally have a big boy 4th line that can be a safety blanket that can play 12 minutes a night when other guys are gassed against legit opponent lines and not crush our souls.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
[snip]
Lastly, happy to see all the new guys find some success early. Burakovsky looks like a poor man’s Rantanen. The way many on this board talked about him, I was expecting a poor man’s Colbourne. It’s early, but he looks like he could be a positive addition.

TBF compared to Colborne's 1st game, Bura's 1st game was poor :sarcasm:

Anyways, glad to see we won, gunna be interesting to re-watch this one on sunday when I get a chance.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This team is going to be tough to handle for many teams, we just beat a good team that has been counting the days to get their "revenge" and we played an decent game, there was plenty to improve upon. You can tell there is still early season rust and a feeling out process going on. And yet we still dropped 5 goals, and it very easily could have been 8.

Kadri was exactly the player we needed really just made the forward group that much better and more rounded. Throw in some quality depth guys like Donskoi and Burakovsky. And get some nice surprises like Nuke and you've got a very deep team that can hurt you by rolling 4 lines.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
This is how I feel after last night:

upload_2019-10-4_9-8-37.jpeg

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Anyone have the TOI from the defencemen last night? Felt like G never left the ice. What a defenseman we got. He gets underrated because of our other shiny new toys on D like Cale Timmins Byram etc but for now he's still number 1 in my mind. He is just incredible. That play where he broke thru the middle of the offensive zone right to the net with his speed was insane. If he would have finished that it would have been (early) goal of the year in the NHL.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
I would love to see Bednar give Rants a few shifts with Kadri and see what kind of chemistry they have. I think they'd play really well together. Might be time for Bednar to double shift Rants a few times a game, same as he usually does Mack with some lower lines.

Reactions: Murzu and cgf

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Sharks fan coming in peace.

Really happy to hear Donskoi is playing well for you guys, he was the one I hated losing most.

Even though it hurts my team, I hope he has a breakout year for you guys and gets the 50-60pts I always thought he could, and it’s great he’s gotten off to a hot start goal scoring wise as he sometimes gets snake bitten, so hopefully his confidence in that department will skyrocket.

You guys have a really fun team to watch, not looking forward to seeing you in the playoffs if we even make it haha.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Anyone have the TOI from the defencemen last night? Felt like G never left the ice. What a defenseman we got. He gets underrated because of our other shiny new toys on D like Cale Timmins Byram etc but for now he's still number 1 in my mind. He is just incredible. That play where he broke thru the middle of the offensive zone right to the net with his speed was insane. If he would have finished that it would have been (early) goal of the year in the NHL.

EJ - 23:16
Makar - 22:23
Girard - 21:21
Zadorov - 19:30
Graves - 13:50
Timmins - 9:59

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sharks fan coming in peace.

Really happy to hear Donskoi is playing well for you guys, he was the one I hated losing most.

Even though it hurts my team, I hope he has a breakout year for you guys and gets the 50-60pts I always thought he could, and it’s great he’s gotten off to a hot start goal scoring wise as he sometimes gets snake bitten, so hopefully his confidence in that department will skyrocket.

You guys have a really fun team to watch, not looking forward to seeing you in the playoffs if we even make it haha.
When can I start Jones in my fantasy league? Never?

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
He's really good and after being held back and working on his defensive the last 2 years expect the offense to come now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would love to see Bednar give Rants a few shifts with Kadri and see what kind of chemistry they have. I think they'd play really well together. Might be time for Bednar to double shift Rants a few times a game, same as he usually does Mack with some lower lines.

I'm with you on this. I'd love to see a Mikko-Naz-Joonas line at some point...especially if Bura is hot enough to cut it next to Landy n MacK.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
When can I start Jones in my fantasy league? Never?

Honestly.....yeah probably never if it’s not a points league.

Deboers system leaves him hanging out to dry way too much and hes not a superstar who can make up for it.

So unless Deboer is fired, or there is a serious philosophy shift from him, Jones is going to get terrible numbers again.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Only got to watch up to the 2nd period before I crashed, but man Mikko looked good. And I really love Donskoi’s style too. Dude is velvety smooth out there.

It'll take some time to adjust to not seeing tboobs quarterbacking our PP though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2