GDT: Game 1: Avs vs Flames - 7PM Mountain

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I loved Kadri. I loved Donskoi. I loved Makar. I loved Timmins. Burakovsky was "meh" all around.

However, I can't be the only one that noticed Val Nichuskin legit looked good out there. Like, not just trying to survive in the NHL, but a dude that knew his role and went to work. That play in the 3rd where he put his head down and drove the puck wide on Kylington only to have it roll off his stick at the last second... I could get used to that.

Who knows if he'll keep it up or not, but I liked him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Great start. Beat a good team. Like others have mentioned it's so nice to have depth. We can actually put other lines on the ice and it isn't just so MacK can get a break.

Can't single out one person that I thought was bad. Graves was ok, and Jost was probably the weakest forward but I didn't think he was that bad. But overall I was very happy. You can tell it's still a learning experience for guys like Makar and Timmins but give it 20-30 games and it will be a different story.

Scary thought is we're not even as good as we will be. We still have guys like Byram, Newhook, Bowers and Kaut. That could and should make the team in the next two seasons.

The first time in 15 years, I actually feel good about this team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Easily solved by taking Jost off that line. What do you think about Jost? I can't stand his soft play down deep in the zone. It's not like he's SOFT but he just doesn't have the physicality to play like he wants to. It seems like he can't do anything positive in the O-Zone unless he's fed the puck in open space. He doesn't create chances on his own in my opinion.

Well yeah.. Kadri has two wingers who are basically the same thing. Not great on the wall/cycle, and sort of show up at the end of plays. Neither of them draw real coverage either.

Kadri needs another fast defensively responsible cycle capable player on his line in order to free him up to use his skill. If Kadri is always covering, and has no time or space we are not going to see his offensive skill set. Hes always going to drop back, cover, defend, and make the simple play. I think a big reason Compher looked so good tonight was his line mates were totally willing to grind, and he had some time a space to make things happen.

You absolutely have to give Kadri one of Compher or Donskoi IMO.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I loved Kadri. I loved Donskoi. I loved Makar. I loved Timmins. Burakovsky was "meh" all around.

However, I can't be the only one that noticed Val Nichuskin legit looked good out there. Like, not just trying to survive in the NHL, but a dude that knew his role and went to work. That play in the 3rd where he put his head down and drove the puck wide on Kylington only to have it roll off his stick at the last second... I could get used to that.

He showed me that he wants to be out there. Kid clearly wants to stay in the NHL. Hopefully this play continues, I'm rooting for him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think you’re selling him short saying he’s a 3c and think he was a very solid 2c tonight. You’re 100% correct though that he needs at least 1 more skilled winger, one that can score especially.

You missed the point of what I was trying to say completely.

Reactions: Murzu

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Burakovsky, Donskoi, Kadri and nichushkin all looked good in their own right. Good to see the new acquisitions making an impact on the game early. Girard looked amazing, once Makar gets comfortable and takes some shots he's going to do some damage. Couple lapses on the PK but we also hit posts and got robbed a couple times by rittich. Worked them for the most part. On to the next

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Man it’s crazy how different the opinions can be watching the exact same game, Girard straight up scared me multiple times tonight, he had a very polarizing almost Tyson Barrie type of game, Makar same thing but not quite to the same extremes.
I liked the second line a lot. Jost only played 11 and a half minutes! But I definitely see why adding some more “jam” in Donskoi to that line could be beneficial.
Z and EJ were great, felt very safe when they were on the ice, Timmins was good with one gaffe but what can ya do, Graves was clearly the worst defenseman on the team.
All the forwards looked good in their respective rolls.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Nuke is Russian Wilson lol, but I think plenty of people noticed him.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
When Wilson is good to go for real, it's gonna be a difficult choice to make. Who do you guys replace if Nuke keeps this up? My vote would be LBN unfortunately :(. A Wilson, JT, Jost/donsk line makes me head in that direction.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I'm talking to a girl who is a Flames fan so I had to be on my best behaviour tonight on social media LMAO.

They really are bitch made though from the fans to the players especially Lucic and Tkachuk.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Man it’s crazy how different the opinions can be watching the exact same game, Girard straight up scared me multiple times tonight, he had a very polarizing almost Tyson Barrie type of game, Makar same thing but not quite to the same extremes.
I liked the second line a lot. Jost only played 11 and a half minutes! But I definitely see why adding some more “jam” in Donskoi to that line could be beneficial.
Z and EJ were great, felt very safe when they were on the ice, Timmins was good with one gaffe but what can ya do, Graves was clearly the worst defenseman on the team.
All the forwards looked good in their respective rolls.

Yeah but when your worst defender plays that well it's enjoyable. I definitely have a lot more to say about our wingers than I do our defense. You have to expect some gaffs from our defense too with Makar, Timmins, and Graves... None of them look to put it up and off the wall under pressure.

How about EJ? He wasn't perfect but was pretty solid overall. We have to accept our defense is going to be harlem glob trotter level, and our wingers are going to have to live with that.

Reactions: Murzu and Jayevs

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
When Wilson is good to go for real, it's gonna be a difficult choice to make. Who do you guys replace if Nuke keeps this up? My vote would be LBN unfortunately :(. A Wilson, JT, Jost/donsk line makes me head in that direction.
I liked LBN tonight besides the penalty he took. Its a tough choice for sure especially if Nuke keeps up his play. In the meantime Wilson can take all the time he wants healing up.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not to diminish the Big Moose love fest, but what a cross ice feed by MacK.

Despite forcing the issue a bit too much tonight he had a good game. Can’t wait until he settles in.

Dude could have had a hatty tonight. Lets hope hes not as easily frustrated as he has been in the past. Hes still PPG lol. Mikko starts the season ahead in points again. Which I find kind of funny.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Definite flashes of what this team's capable of, hope they can put it all together consistently. Love that they're back to being must watch hockey, fast and skilled.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Besides Graves, a bit of Johnson, and Jost I thought everyone looked fantastic. I was pretty impressed by Burakovsky, that was most definitely the best he's played throughout the season. Some mistakes no doubt, but was more noticeable than whatever the hell Jost did. I would very much like to see Compher on that line next game and demote Jost.

Holy smokes our team is fast and they look like they're all in their prime. I can't wait until Kadri gets more comfortable because for how much they want to throw out Tkachuk out there to do what he does, Kadri was following him and you lot know that Kadri can be a psychopath. Also holy smokes Girard was amazing, not trying to take credit away from Rantanen since he was probably the best player, but Samwise was easily up on that conversation as well.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
PP needs some work but I’m pretty sure most of this comes to Mack and Makar learning to play with each other. Barrie and Mack knew each other too well that their chemistry was just amazing and underrated IMO. But hey it’s just game one, they have planty time for that. Good win Go Avs !!

Reactions: Murzu and wayninja

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
I didn't like how good, fast, sharp the team looked in the first and how that all just ended by midway through the second. I'm not sure if that's conditioning, or Calgary just woke up or what, but it was jarring.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

I love Big Z, but LBN made a great play to save his bacon tonight. Not that your opinion is wrong. It’s nice to seemingly have so many quality depth options. As a short tenured HF poster, but long standing Avs fan, is it 1996-2001 again? :naughty:

*Aside* Is it bad that my autocorrect knows to capitalize the K anytime I type MacK? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad