GDT: GAME 1 - Avalanhe vs Cracen - 8PM MT - Emergency GDT

How many times do we panic and write off the season tonight?

• Yes

Votes: 47 53.4%

Votes: 2 2.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.3%

Votes: 6 6.8%

Votes: 5 5.7%

Votes: 26 29.5%

• Total voters

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth

"Philip Grubauer had a good night. What did you guys see from him?"

"Nothing"

its-getting-spicy-competitive.gif

I love him bros

Reactions: niwotsblessing

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs will win this series if they reverse the script & bring the forecheck HARD to Seattle. They're not gonna win if they think they're gonna out fancy them with tic-tac-toe. When you face a jacked-up, intense, hard working opponent, you HAVE to return the favor and start hitting them every chance you get and mugging guys along the boards. Greasy goals also count!
I still think Avs will win the series, but won’t be surprised if they don’t

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I think he looked good defensively and was very physical for someone coming from injury. Sadly his shots kept getting blocked. IMO he plays a bit too safer compared to what we've been used to the last 2 seasons.
Pratt needs to be fired . Put the right pairs together and let the horses go , don't try to curb their free spirit. He's done this to Girard and now Makar and Byram must go go go

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Im just wonder where they were in November when I was calling him out. Guys this season have been sneaky good well Toews has actually been sneaky bad more often then not.

If the Avs lose Game 2 they will get swept.

Seems the Dogg still upset about Nick Holden goal aswell
Several times when Gru was on the Avs Nate looked like he 2anted to bust his stick over his head and I can't blame him. Grubauer is a dick

Can we play Ranta and Foudy instead of Newhook and Malgin please.

Send a message Bednar

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pratt needs to be fired . Put the right pairs together and let the horses go , don't try to curb their free spirit. He's done this to Girard and now Makar and Byram must go go go

In no way, shape, or form are Colorado's defensemen being held back. Midway through the third period Manson was right alongside Newhook on the rush (before Newhook stupidly cut toward the middle causing an offside call). They've done nothing to curb Sammy either, the offense just hasn't been there at all this season, even when he's been playing well. And I have NO idea where you're getting the notion that Byram is being restrained.

Seattle did an excellent job forechecking and clogging up the neutral zone to keep the Avs defensemen from utilizing their speed, and the Avs were way too slow to adjust and go with a more simple dump-and-chase approach, and even when they did that they were far, far too slow and soft on the forecheck. This is where not having guys like Cogliano and Helm really bites them in the ass.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
In the past Manson has bounced back with a good game following bad games (remembering game 1 last year vs. Edmonton as an example, he was not very good at all, but great in G2)

Hopefully he does so again. Sounds like he was the #1 culprit

Reactions: Jazzguitar

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Malgin looked fairly dangerous at times. Swapping Foudy for Newhook might not be a bad idea though.

No, it would be a bad idea. Foods was decent in limited time but he was by no means an impact player, then he missed most of the season due to injury. Frustrating as he is, Newhook is the better option.

He will be given every opportunity imaginable to secure a roster spot on a cap-decimated roster next training camp. But not until then.

As for Ranta, he's not an NHL player, and may never be one.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
No, it would be a bad idea. Foods was decent in limited time but he was by no means an impact player, then he missed most of the season due to injury. Frustrating as he is, Newhook is the better option.

He will be given every opportunity imaginable to secure a roster spot on a cap-decimated roster next training camp. But not until then.

Newhook or Foudy?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In the past Manson has bounced back with a good game following bad games (remembering game 1 last year vs. Edmonton as an example, he was not very good at all, but great in G2)

Hopefully he does so again. Sounds like he was the #1 culprit

He was easily the team's worst player, but that's saying a lot because it's hard to point out anyone who was truly good. He didn't make the worst play of the night, that would be on Toews. O'Connor was about the only guy I'd say went full throttle from start to finish.

Newhook or Foudy?

Foudy. I honestly do not know what Newhook's future will be. They'll either need to pay him or trade him this offseason. I'm guessing they will trade him, and likely tried to do so around the deadline and failed.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I think he looked good defensively and was very physical for someone coming from injury. Sadly his shots kept getting blocked. IMO he plays a bit too safer compared to what we've been used to the last 2 seasons.
He is definitely not close to 100 percent and likely hasn't been fully healthy the entire year. I agree he isn't even trying to make some of the moves we all know he can make to create offense. This is likely due to his health. He is still very dangerous, but it doesn't seem he can pull off all of his moves right now and sadly likely won't be fully healthy until next season.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Damn we sucked last night. Hard to find any optimism. Team might get it together and win the first 2 rounds but it's not going to be pretty. Fairly embarrassing that Eller was our depth help, that guy has been horrendous.
If the Avs get by Seattle (lol) they wont be beating Dallas or Minny. Those teams are a more skilled better goaltending, better coached version of Seattle.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
At the end of the day none of this matters. The Avs arent winning the cup so who cares if they lose to Seattle? The Oilers will win the cup and hold dominion over the north for the next decade.

No, the Avs won't win the cup. But all the more reason to jump on the 'f*** the candian team fanbases' bandwagon.

Personally, I hope the Bruins go 16-0. I don't hate them as a franchise and they did the right thing and loaded up big time at the deadline (something our dumb asses in management could learn).

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
No, the Avs won't win the cup. But all the more reason to jump on the 'f*** the candian team fanbases' bandwagon.

Personally, I hope the Bruins go 16-0. I don't hate them as a franchise and they did the right thing and loaded up big time at the deadline (something our dumb asses in management could learn).
I like Bergeron and Pasta so I would have zero issues if they win.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
If the Avs get by Seattle (lol) they wont be beating Dallas or Minny. Those teams are a more skilled better goaltending, better coached version of Seattle.
Any other year I would agree with this but if game 1 is any indication whichever team gets out of that series might not have a roster left to play. I think either way unless Seattle goes on an 18 VGK type run that the Pacific winner is going to destroy the Central winner and themselves be destroyed by whoever comes out of the East

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
In no way, shape, or form are Colorado's defensemen being held back. Midway through the third period Manson was right alongside Newhook on the rush (before Newhook stupidly cut toward the middle causing an offside call). They've done nothing to curb Sammy either, the offense just hasn't been there at all this season, even when he's been playing well. And I have NO idea where you're getting the notion that Byram is being restrained.

Seattle did an excellent job forechecking and clogging up the neutral zone to keep the Avs defensemen from utilizing their speed, and the Avs were way too slow to adjust and go with a more simple dump-and-chase er itapproach, and even when they did that they were far, far too slow and soft on the forecheck. This is where not having guys like Cogliano and Helm really bites them in the ass.
Dead-on assessment. And to counter Seattle, the Avs need to have a heavy forecheck & clog up the neutral zone in return. Turn it into a special teams battle.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I like Bergeron and Pasta so I would have zero issues if they win.
It's 1 game peeps. Sky isn't falling until they lose 4 games to the same team. Seattle is a very good deep team, but the Avalanche have enough to beat anyone in a 7 game series. To repeat they probably need Georgiev to steal a few along the way though.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021

Ranta has NHL size, speed and physicality is what I'm looking for in the lineup. Too many smurfs in the lineup right now. Need some beef in there.

Forgot Foudy was hurt but could use some life in the bottom 6 and good time to use it against a meh Seattle team.

Either way I am not so concerned we won't win the series. Was an awful game and were still the better team for the most part

Edit: forgot about Galchenyuk , put him in the lineup

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Agree with Bednar that the execution was really lacking. Effort level was good, execution terrible.

The Toews turnover, and Manson wandering around like a chicken without a head on the second goal was really the difference in the game.

Seattle is good at keeping shots down (second in the league). They’re a good defensive team with crappy goaltending. If Grubauer catches fire, it’s going to be a really tough series. I suspect he’ll falter at some point though.

Disagree with some of the Makar takes on here. I thought he was quite easily Colorado’s best player last night. People expect him to score a hat-trick every game, but it’s just not realistic. He was clearly Colorado’s best two-way player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad