GDT: GAME 1 - Avalanhe vs Cracen - 8PM MT - Emergency GDT

How many times do we panic and write off the season tonight?

• Yes

Votes: 47 53.4%

Votes: 2 2.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.3%

Votes: 6 6.8%

Votes: 5 5.7%

Votes: 26 29.5%

• Total voters

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Pointless as it may be to point out but the Avs really missed Landeskog last night. Seattle is putting so many people in front of the net. Close quarter fighting is where Landeskog really thrived.

It might be necessary to not play right in front of the net (including on PP) but maybe play to a side where you can potentially wall of defenders on one side to create more shooting lanes.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
sDNPS3.jpg

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
The lines should be something like this:

Nichushkin - MacKinnon - Malgin
Lehkonen - JTC - Rantanen
Rodriguez - Eller - Nieto
Newhook - Meyer - OConnor

Rodriguez get's too cute. Plays die on his stick more than they should. Malgin likely has better finish with good chances and skating is a better fit with MacKinnon.

There's some interchangeability of course.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Rodriguez get's too cute. Plays die on his stick more than they should. Malgin likely has better finish with good changes and skating is a better fit with MacKinnon.

I think we should just commit to having one functional line and three garbage lines.

Lehky-MacK-Rants
It doesn't matter who else is there since no one seems to care.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Rodriguez get's too cute. Plays die on his stick more than they should. Malgin likely has better finish with good chances and skating is a better fit with MacKinnon.

I like those lines. Rantanen and MacK can both create magic themselves. Adds more depth throughout the lineup.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I think we should just commit to having one functional line and three garbage lines.

Lehky-MacK-Rants
It doesn't matter who else is there since no one seems to care.
Not entirely invalid. The real nuts and bolts of it is, the defense has to be much better than it was last night. They were awful. Management prioritized keeping the defense together because last year, when healthy and functional, the defense was feeding the offense. But Manson and Makar looked rusty, while Toews looks like he has battle fatigue.

The line construction might be a moot point if they don't improve immediately.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's nice to see people starting to come around on this one.
Im just wonder where they were in November when I was calling him out. Guys this season have been sneaky good well Toews has actually been sneaky bad more often then not.

My thoughts:

- Seattle played a VERY good game
- We did not
- They got every bounce. Whether it was us hitting posts, or two fortunate bounces for them that led to goals.
- Grubauer stopped 35/36. Can he keep that up?
- We are better on the road than at home this year
- Seattle is not good at home

I think whoever wins game two wins the series. If we get it we will get it rollin and will be a 5 or 6 game series. If they do I still think we can do it but will be very hard
If the Avs lose Game 2 they will get swept.

"Philip Grubauer had a good night. What did you guys see from him?"

"Nothing"

its-getting-spicy-competitive.gif

Seems the Dogg still upset about Nick Holden goal aswell

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Even though Game 1 was very fast paced, this felt like the type of game that could have been 1-1 heading into OT. The difference was the Kraken were very solid defensively, while the Avalanche made a few bone headed that ended up in the back of their net.

I thought Colorado had finally seized momentum in the late 2nd/early 3rd, but Josh Manson gift wrapped the dagger goal to Seattle.

That was a special kind of bad performance by Manson, by the way. In 10 minutes of ice time, his game was the skater equivalent of a goalie giving up 7 goals. I have a feeling we'll be talking about Manson's Game 1 for a long time - he was brutal.
@Pierce Hawthorne

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We're trading Toews again?

Traded him back in December for his play, gave him an atta boy for carrying the defense and playing like a Norris candidate while the usual suspects spent weeks at a time on IR, and now traded again.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Looked the same as the regular season games against Seattle. Relentless pressure and forward depth.

This seemed like one of those games where the bounces played a big part in determining the winner. Also just like the regular season games.

Not only did we hit a pair of posts, Grubauer got lucky on the PK when that puck labeled for the top corner hit the shaft of his stick. Would have been a different game if that had gone in.

Bad miscommunication between Toews and Georgiev for the opener. Georgiev held it too long, and by the time Toews was clear, he was closed down.

Manson looked so far off the pace tonight. We missed JMFJ, who could at least skate with the Kraken, unlike EJ.

I still like our chances, but it's going to a closer series than any of our other recent first round matchups.

I trust Nate knows Grubauer's personality and maybe this kind of thing would be more likely to rattle him than help him focus.
Yeah don't make the German...feel an emotion?

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Beyond the typical points (2C, deadline, effort, etc.) that have been well covered, you’re all missing the secret curse:

Arsenal bottling the league and breaking the Kroenke team championship magic. Needed them to pull that one out to give the Avs and/or Nuggets a fighting chance. Kroenke teams are only allowed to win championships if at least 2 pull it off in a season and they’ve done their level best to blow it for everyone else

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
I can't believe an NHL coach went the whole game without shuffling the lines when it's obvious they were generating nothing all game. It was obvious Lehkonen or Nuke should've been on the top line over ERod, that guy is just not a top line player and borderline 2nd line.
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse but I'm glad so many other people agree. The only reasoning I can make for it was the top line was the only consistently threatening line and that's starts with 29 and ends with 96.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hey Nathan, we're not exactly thrilled either

View attachment 691770

The downside of that current 9-29-96 line is that it's absolutely terrible defensively, and we've seen them on too many occasions get stuck in their own zone. I would probably swap Lehkonen and E-Rod, that allows for a defensive winger on the top two lines and puts E-Rod on the right side and Nuke on the left where they both belong.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Seriously I won’t be surprised if Avs lose this series. No Landy, no Kadri, bunch of players like Manson, Nuke probably Makar too are not 100%. EJ is pretty much done, he just exists out there, can’t skate or do much anymore.
The Avs will win this series if they reverse the script & bring the forecheck HARD to Seattle. They're not gonna win if they think they're gonna out fancy them with tic-tac-toe. When you face a jacked-up, intense, hard working opponent, you HAVE to return the favor and start hitting them every chance you get and mugging guys along the boards. Greasy goals also count!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad