GDT: GAME 1 - Avalanhe vs Cracen - 8PM MT - Emergency GDT

How many times do we panic and write off the season tonight?

• Yes

Votes: 47 53.4%

Votes: 2 2.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.3%

Votes: 6 6.8%

Votes: 5 5.7%

Votes: 26 29.5%

• Total voters

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Agree with Bednar that the execution was really lacking. Effort level was good, execution terrible.

The Toews turnover, and Manson wondering around like a chicken without a head on the second goal was really the difference in the game.

Seattle is good at keeping shots down (second in the league). They’re a good defensive team with crappy goaltending. If Grubauer catches fire, it’s going to be a really tough series. I suspect he’ll falter at some point though.

Disagree with some of the Makar takes on here. I thought he was quite easily Colorado’s best player last night. People expect him to score a hat-trick every game, but it’s just not realistic. He was clearly Colorado’s best two-way player.
Grubauer is not going to catch fire. He's the last thing I'm worried about on Seattle. Avs played like a bag of ass last night and still should have scored 3 or 4 goals but didn't because of posts or pucks just hitting Grubauer and him having no idea.

It's the rest of the Kraken roster that worries me with their speed, tenacity, forecheck, and willingness to make games as boring as possible if they have to in order to win.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Grubauer is not going to catch fire. He's the last thing I'm worried about on Seattle. Avs played like a bag of ass last night and still should have scored 3 or 4 goals but didn't because of posts or pucks just hitting Grubauer and him having no idea.

It's the rest of the Kraken roster that worries me with their speed, tenacity, forecheck, and willingness to make games as boring as possible if they have to in order to win.
If the Avs get outworked & outmuscled by a 2nd year expansion team--and lose this series, upper management needs to make some hard & bold decisions in the off-season retooling this lineup, coz it's looking painfully apparent that the Cup window is just about closed.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ranta has NHL size, speed and physicality is what I'm looking for in the lineup. Too many smurfs in the lineup right now. Need some beef in there.

Forgot Foudy was hurt but could use some life in the bottom 6 and good time to use it against a meh Seattle team.

Either way I am not so concerned we won't win the series. Was an awful game and were still the better team for the most part

Edit: forgot about Galchenyuk , put him in the lineup

If size and speed and physicality were the only requisites to being an NHL player, Ranta would have been in the league for over a year now at least. Smurfs or not, there's good reason why Ranta is not on the roster. Others who have watched the Eggs play more than me would know better but he doesn't appear to have developed or evolved at all in 101 total AHL games so far.

I'm guessing Galchenyuk will be tried in lieu of Meyers, may as well try. But they're not going to swap out Foudy for Newhook.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Yep. They play a sound game for sure and Colorado hasn’t really cracked them from an offensive standpoint in any game this season.

I still feel good about the series overall though because I don’t feel some of these guys will play so poorly moving forward.

Like, that was the worst game I’ve ever seen Josh Manson play. It’ll be hard to replicate that. Same with Val and Lehky. They’ve got a lot more to give.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep. They play a sound game for sure and Colorado hasn’t really cracked them from an offensive standpoint in any game this season.

I still feel good about the series overall though because I don’t feel some of these guys will play so poorly moving forward.

Like, that was the worst game I’ve ever seen Josh Manson play. It’ll be hard to replicate that. Same with Val and Lehky. They’ve got a lot more to give.
I also think Seattle played a tremendous game last night. If they keep that up, the Avs are in tough. However, that kind of hockey is tough to replicate game after game.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
If the Avs get outworked & outmuscled by a 2nd year expansion team--and lose this series, upper management needs to make some hard & bold decisions in the off-season retooling this lineup, coz it's looking painfully apparent that the Cup window is just about closed.

Under the cap era windows still mostly close due to age.
I'd argue their core is:
Mackinnon 27
Rantanen 26
Makar 24
Byram 21

Including Landeskog, if he continues to play, it will still be a very young core next year with him being the oldest at 31. Yes they have gaps to fix and fundamentally need to get better at drafting but I highly doubt they are over and done, window's closed.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I also think Seattle played a tremendous game last night. If they keep that up, the Avs are in tough. However, that kind of hockey is tough to replicate game after game.
It will be tougher but I have no doubt they can replicate this game. The pressure they put on the Avs and the cycle the Avs cant break is going to happen the remaining 3 games.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Let's give Seattle some credit. That's not your father's expansion team - they had a 100 point season for a reason. They're pretty damn good and play really hard. We're better but . . . well, that's why these series are 7 games, not 1 - everybody gets a chance to adjust to a new opponent. And all the home teams got whacked bad last night, so there's that.

Different year, different team. If this team is the trade-off for the 2022 Stanley Cup, it's worth it.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
If size and speed and physicality were the only requisites to being an NHL player, Ranta would have been in the league for over a year now at least. Smurfs or not, there's good reason why Ranta is not on the roster. Others who have watched the Eggs play more than me would know better but he doesn't appear to have developed or evolved at all in 101 total AHL games so far.

I'm guessing Galchenyuk will be tried in lieu of Meyers, may as well try. But they're not going to swap out Foudy for Newhook.
I know I'd like to see Foudy's spark though.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Agreed, just not at the expense of Newhook. Meyers? Sure. Looks like that might be happening with Galchenyuk.

It's preferrable to give Foudy a chance. Maybe he'll have enough awareness to avoid having the puck repeatedly taken away when skating into the offensive zone.

These little moments that lose the puck for Colorado add up. Newhook repeatedly will skate with the puck into a cluster of three defenders. Last night he had two teammates open at center ice and he kept possession himself only to lose the puck because a defender who was 10 feet infront of him pinned him against the boards and got possession. Every time, one is left wondering, "did he honestly think he could pull that off?"

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Lots of guys have more to give. Toews, Compher, and ERod can step it up too. Even Mikko I didn't think looked that great.

And nobody really had a great game. Just a few guys had good games and lot of them had bad games.

Conversely it felt like Seattle played the game of their lives. If they can shift the balance more towards the Avs favor, where more Av players are playing well, and Seattle isn't playing lights out, I like our chances.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Under the cap era windows still mostly close due to age.
I'd argue their core is:
Mackinnon 27
Rantanen 26
Makar 24
Byram 21

Including Landeskog, if he continues to play, it will still be a very young core next year with him being the oldest at 31. Yes they have gaps to fix and fundamentally need to get better at drafting but I highly doubt they are over and done, window's closed.
The core (including Nuke & Lehk), if healthy, is outstanding, and the Avs should be a good team for several more years. It's the supporting cast that's underwhelming though, and they'll be what makes the difference between the Avs being a good team or a legitimate contender. Full credit to Joe Sakic for wheeling & dealing the Avs to a 3rd franchise Cup last season, but the failure to draft anyone worth a damn outside of round 1 (for years now) is starting to show. Waiver wire pickups & minor deals to get guys like Nieto, JJ and Eller aren't enough to move the needle.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
NGL I went to the Leafs forum to feel better about my team.
At least they have a legit excuse: they played a better team than the Kraken and got burned on the PP.

Avs, well..."lacked execution". :rolleyes:

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
The core (including Nuke & Lehk), if healthy, is outstanding, and the Avs should be a good team for several more years. It's the supporting cast that's underwhelming though, and they'll be what makes the difference between the Avs being a good team or a legitimate contender. Full credit to Joe Sakic for wheeling & dealing the Avs to a 3rd franchise Cup last season, but the failure to draft anyone worth a damn outside of round 1 (for years now) is starting to show. Waiver wire pickups & minor deals to get guys like Nieto, JJ and Eller aren't enough to move the needle.
Completely agreed. Drafting poorly outside of top 10 is really starting to show and I wish there was a more earnest attempt to improve that side of the business. Maybe we have I'm not that knowledgeable about our scouts or the new head of scouting we brought in two seasons ago. Regardless, its a big limitation and will definitely keep a good team becoming great as they will have to spend more in FA than others to field a competitve team which costs more and dilutes depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad