Proposal: Gallagher for a 1st and a top prospect, no more no less.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I don't. It's the thread discussion on his value. Personally, Gallagher is part of my future team.
Are you going to put him in deep freeze until a real gm is hired or are you going with the brain transplant to a cyborg body plan that the wings used for Chelios? You might be waiting for a while is what I'm trying to say.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Not a chance.

Definitely not Toronto. I would not give the 1st alone for him.

upload_2018-8-9_11-42-38.png

upload_2018-8-9_11-43-39.png

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
26 year old 30 goal scorer in his prime who brings 100% every night.. Signed for 3 more years at 3.75 mil....

*Edit

23.83 goals per 82 games career
48.27 points per 82 games career

Coming off of a career high 31 goal and 54 point 82 games played season, playing with offensively challenged centers.

Watch what Skinner got.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What fans ever got what they wanted for a star player from their own team? No offense to Gallagher, whom I like, but I think Montreal fans will be disappointed by the return, good contract and all.

Reactions: powerstuck

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
What fans ever got what they wanted for a star player from their own team? No offense to Gallagher, whom I like, but I think Montreal fans will be disappointed by the return, good contract and all.

Duchene ?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I am not even close to a Habs fan (I am a Bruins fan), but Gallagher is only 26 and had his best season last year without a high-end C for most of the year. If I am a betting man, I put money down on him hitting 30 again and 25+ on average going forward, depending on whether he is moved from Montreal and gets set up with a quality C. Aside from that, it really is only his health that would keep him from getting there. He is pretty well suited for the new NHL...
If that's the case, he'll be worth more at the deadline. A player with back to back 30+ goal seasons displays more consistency and is worth more.

Right now the Montreal fans are just expecting everyone else to take their word that Gallagher will continue to play at a top level, as opposed to gravitate towards his career average, and cough up a top prospect.

People also need to factor in that Gallagher most likely won't get as many opportunities on a contender due to depth.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Duchene ?

Turris
1st
3rd
Bowers
Hammond (cap dump)

Was a pretty solid return. The return they got for Turris to Nashville just makes it so much better.

Going by that measure a 1st and a Bowers type prospect isn't an insane ask from Montreal for a guy like Gallagher.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
If that's the case, he'll be worth more at the deadline. A player with back to back 30+ goal seasons displays more consistency and is worth more.

Right now the Montreal fans are just expecting everyone else to take their word that Gallagher will continue to play at a top level, as opposed to gravitate towards his career average, and cough up a top prospect.

People also need to factor in that Gallagher most likely won't get as many opportunities on a contender due to depth.

Gallagher being a RW, a position of need for many NHL teams, I have to imagine that Gallagher would fit as a top 6 winger in most cases. Even if he is assigned as a 3rd line winger...I see him producing at a healthy clip due to weaker match-ups. Look what he has done in MTL without support...and playing against other teams top lines.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
"Want in one hand and wish in another"

The fact that he was Montreal's whipping boy prior to this last year this asking price is insane.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Rangers offer 1st round pick, Conditional 2nd round pick [Gallagher leads current Rangers roster to SCF birth] + Chytil + Andersson for 45-50 point player.

What some of these Montreal fans aren't getting is that not everyone, specifically those outside of Montreal, expect him to maintain his 30+ goals/season and to have his point totals continue to rise. I view him as a 45-50 point 2nd line player. And there is nothing wrong with that. But nothing a Montreal fan can say to convince me otherwise and it doesn't seem to be going over well with the vast majority of fans on the forum.

I think Gallagher is worth a 1st at the trade deadline to a contending playoff team [20th to 31st overall pick], but he isn't going to return a top-10 overall pick or an organization's best prospect.

If it's no more, no less, than Gallagher will be forced to remain in Montreal. And that's fine too. But no one is giving up a 1st round pick + the organizations best prospect for him. No one.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
That's a UFA rental return. Gallagher has 3 years left. Heck, even Lucic got a top 13 pick with one year left.
You love bringing up Lucic as example in every topic, first Pacioretty, now Gallagher.

That was a horrible trade as soon as it happened.... and you still dont get that.

However, hopefully you now got the memo that Pacioretty is not worth a top prospect, 1st and 2nd...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Ok let’s talk Leafs & Jets, neither have a need for Gallagher.....but I know their prospects best so I’m trying to figure out what a top prospect is in this thread. Not advocating either trades for him.

So from either team it would be a late 1st rd pick.....& what prospect? Give a example for both Leafs & Jets. I want to know what Habs are thinking that a top prospect would be from both teams.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
"Want in one hand and wish in another"

The fact that he was Montreal's whipping boy prior to this last year this asking price is insane.

Gallagher has never been Montreal's whipping boy. You might be confused with Galchenyuk or Pacioretty, but Gallagher is one of the only players universally liked on our team and many people think he'll be our next captain.

Reactions: CalgarySnow

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Signed for good term and at a very decent cap hit, this excellent rugged player is probably worth the ask in the OP. For the same reasons, though, the Habs aren’t going to move him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Signed for good term and at a very decent cap hit, this excellent rugged player is probably worth the ask in the OP. For the same reasons, though, the Habs aren’t going to move him.

He isn't though. He's worth a first and a filler prospect or a really good prospect and a lower pick... unless a team is desperate to add him. Wingers, unless they are Ovehckin, Kane, Kucherov, Tarasenko level don't have near the value you think.

It's why people ***** about what Detroit has done. We don't get Cs or Ds that have ridiculously inflated value and we are trying to trade for those positions with nothing.

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
Leafs pick is a late 1rst, that i would do. Keep in mind we don't always get what we want also look at recent league wide transactions. Like another poster stated wait till the trade deadline and see if he can replicate last season then revisit your asking price

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Ok let’s talk Leafs & Jets, neither have a need for Gallagher.....but I know their prospects best so I’m trying to figure out what a top prospect is in this thread. Not advocating either trades for him.

So from either team it would be a late 1st rd pick.....& what prospect? Give a example for both Leafs & Jets. I want to know what Habs are thinking that a top prospect would be from both teams.

Let's not. Gallagher would require an overpayment. There aren't many players like him in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad