Galchenyuk wins it with a beauty in OT! 3-2

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Beauty goal by Chucky last night. Im trying to not get too excited as it is just pre-season, but if that type of play carries over to the regular season and this gives him some confidence, I cant wait for the season to begin!!!

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Not the worst idea ever. If Bourque can play like he did in the playoffs he's basically an Eric Cole type on that line. Loved Cole when he was here.

Access denied. Bourque does not play like he did in any playoffs. That's just not what Bourque does. :laugh:

PricePkPatch*

Do you know what i truly find impressive with Chuckie's OT goal?

The man was basically immobile at the blue line. He did.not made his play and beat the D with momentum. Instead, he just plain exploded in the 2 meters after the blue line.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Do you know what i truly find impressive with Chuckie's OT goal?

The man was basically immobile at the blue line. He did.not made his play and beat the D with momentum. Instead, he just plain exploded in the 2 meters after the blue line.

Was about to post this. He was dead in the water as Sharkie was off side, and covered by two guys. He takes three powerful strides and Duchene of all people loses him, before a hard, deceptive cut to the middle. He really made something out of nothing on that play.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
We all know what is should happen; Galckenyuk plays center and Bergevin trades DD
We all also know what will happen; Galchenyuk stays on the wing and DD never leaves Pacioretty's hip.

The faster you accept it the less frustrated you will be when it happens.

This is so ridiculous. You all gotta stop the blind hatred.

DD may be small, but he is an effective offensive player and he fills a role on the team. Pac and him have good chemistry and he is one of the reasons for the 39 goals season. Eller, Galchenyuk and Plekanec are all quality players and they bring a more complete overall package than DD, but he brings a smarter, more efficient and experienced (than Galchenyuk) offensive game. He can get 60-70 points this season for a 4M(?) Cap hit and he should be traded?

Get real man. The idea that anyone could replace him and do better is dumb. DD has the best offensive vision on the team, great passing abilities and solid offensive positioning.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Bourque
Galchenyuk - Eller - Paranteau
Sekac - Plekanec - Gallagher

Whoever is on a line with Pacioretty - Desharnais will not be used much anyways so might as well have Bourque there as a warm body to fill the position. Whenever he feels like playing he might complement the tunnel vision duo.

Galchenyuk-Eller could perhaps take turns at C during the season helping Galchenyuk ease into the position. PAP would be much more useful here as his creativity might be better used as well as him being more likely to be passed the puck.

Sekac - Plekanec - Gallagher seems like a no brainer line to me. Should be really tough to play against for opposition top lines.

I was shocked at first by your lines but I like that first line. I think Bourque could help although he did develop some chemistry with Eller in the playoffs. Also I'm not sold on Parenteau in our top 6 let alone on the 1st line.

But I think what shocked me the most was you haven't got Chucky at center. I think he has proven he should be played at that position.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is so ridiculous. You all gotta stop the blind hatred.

DD may be small, but he is an effective offensive player and he fills a role on the team. Pac and him have good chemistry and he is one of the reasons for the 39 goals season. Eller, Galchenyuk and Plekanec are all quality players and they bring a more complete overall package than DD, but he brings a smarter, more efficient and experienced (than Galchenyuk) offensive game. He can get 60-70 points this season for a 4M(?) Cap hit and he should be traded?

Get real man. The idea that anyone could replace him and do better is dumb. DD has the best offensive vision on the team, great passing abilities and solid offensive positioning.

The only accurate thing in this post is the admission DD is small.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We all know what is should happen; Galckenyuk plays center and Bergevin trades DD
We all also know what will happen; Galchenyuk stays on the wing and DD never leaves Pacioretty's hip.

The faster you accept it the less frustrated you will be when it happens.

You know if DD is traded and Patches is played with Chucky there will be a number of problems. Chucky shoots more often than DD. That cuts down on passes made to Mr Perimeter. Chucky also distributes to both his wingers. That will mean even less passes for Max. How will this board handle that?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You know if DD is traded and Patches is played with Chucky there will be a number of problems. Chucky shoots more often than DD. That cuts down on passes made to Mr Perimeter. Chucky also distributes to both his wingers. That will mean even less passes for Max. How will this board handle that?

both his wingers could be productive ? I'm fine with this! :nod:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Galchenyuk is also way better at controlling the puck, bigger, stronger, and more explosive than DD, which could mean more passes to Pacioretty that DD could ever do. Maybe more of Galchenyuk's passes end up in a goal so even if the number of passes decreases, Patches' goal totals remain the same. Maybe even if Patches' goal total goes down, the scoring efficiency of the line goes up.

Will anyone really give a **** if patches scores 31 goals as opposed to 39 if the line increased its output by 20 or more goals? If they do, then they're dumb.

Unless you think that the way DD plays is optimal, then there's no reason to fear that a change to Galchenyuk will necessarily cause problems. I don't think you could argue that DD plays optimally when he never shoots.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Patches will have more freedom because he wont be double teamed. Everyone knows DD looks for him and doesn't shoot so its easy to block that play.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Pacioretty needs to develop too, having him turn into a one trick pony that only can play with one player is actually a bad thing rather than a good thing.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Galchenyuk is also way better at controlling the puck, bigger, stronger, and more explosive than DD, which could mean more passes to Pacioretty that DD could ever do. Maybe more of Galchenyuk's passes end up in a goal so even if the number of passes decreases, Patches' goal totals remain the same. Maybe even if Patches' goal total goes down, the scoring efficiency of the line goes up.

Will anyone really give a **** if patches scores 31 goals as opposed to 39 if the line increased its output by 20 or more goals? If they do, then they're dumb.

Unless you think that the way DD plays is optimal, then there's no reason to fear that a change to Galchenyuk will necessarily cause problems. I don't think you could argue that DD plays optimally when he never shoots.

Patches will have more freedom because he wont be double teamed. Everyone knows DD looks for him and doesn't shoot so its easy to block that play.

Pacioretty needs to develop too, having him turn into a one trick pony that only can play with one player is actually a bad thing rather than a good thing.

A Hat-trick for truthful posts.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I feel like you guys dont even watch the game .. DD was hitting passes thru traffic on tape all night and was solid at making plays. He easily could have had a couple points tonight if people could finish.

I've noticed this as well. DD will make a lot of underrated plays during a game, yet will still be bashed. I remember last playoffs he made a few Datsyukian kind of takeaways in the neutral zone. He's been playing harder. I'm content with DD right now.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

You guys are underestimating DD's contribution to Patches' success. DD is avery good centreman. Not a #1. Ideally he should play as a #2 or #3. But DD complements Patches strengths. I don't know if Patches will score as many goals without a center who is constantly making plays to set him up.

A play in the third period last night made me laugh. DD was in the Avs cor nor near their net and he made a nifty pass to the slot where Weaver was skating past. He took a weak shot. But if you look at the replay Patches was behind Weaver and I'll bet dollars to donuts the pass was meant for Patches and not Weaver. Weaver had to stretch to receive the pass. That for me epitomizes the DD/Patches combo.

I'll bet DD was probably cursing Weaver under his breath for intercepting the pass. I'm only half joking.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Of course this thread turns in a DD thread. How predictable!!!

BTW-I did not think Galchenyuk was that dominant. He had 2 or 3 great plays (including the OT beauty) but he still needs to work on his decision making which is why he should keep playing center.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
To be fair I don't think anyone is underestimating anything.
We simply have a fanbase who isn't willing to admit that after 3yrs of tinkering with MP/DD/__ and never getting it quite right.
It just might be a good idea to try something else? ��

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Of course this thread turns in a DD thread. How predictable!!!

BTW-I did not think Galchenyuk was that dominant. He had 2 or 3 great plays (including the OT beauty) but he still needs to work on his decision making which is why he should keep playing center.

What exactly did you expect?

The GM comes out and says AG was drafted as a C and will start camp there.
The Front Office is:
a) completely satisfied with our strength up the middle.
b) pissed off at Eller who wasn't able to get 20 pts PO
c) pissed off at Plecky's -7 PO
d) slightly concerned about our go to guy isn't driving the offence. PO

Don't blame Eller...

Last edited:

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Pateryn was better than Beaulieu last night.

Drewiske was better than both of them.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Pateryn was better than Beaulieu last night.

Drewiske was better than both of them.

I don't agree that Pateryn was better. He made quite a few bone head plays. He did improve as the game went on. I wonder if it was just nerves.

But yeah Drewiske surprised me. Played within his skill set and never got into any trouble.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Drewiske is perfect for the 7th d-man, plays a safe game and makes next to nothing. Also seems like a great team guy and won't complain about his ice time, zero need for Bouillon with him around.

Parenteau would look so much better away from Desharnais, would be really interested to see him with Galchenyuk or Eller as his centre.

Also one other thing, I thought Budaj looked great last night. All summer I was pro-Tokarski as the back-up, but with all the leadership we've lost this summer and seeing how much teammates like and respect Budaj I wouldn't be against just staying safe and going with Budaj as back-up. Seeing the goalie market now there's still a chance Tokarski clears waivers, worst case if he doesn't there are always goalies available for cheap.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad