News Article: Galchenyuk Willing to accept 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Wouldn't be surprised if what he heard was Galchenyuk + 1st for Stepan.

Could be. Personally I wouldn't trade AG. I'd sign him for 5 years, put him on the wing and hope that he does enough this year to either stick or increase his value. Trading him now, when his value to the team is greater than his value to other teams seems like a recipe for disaster.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Oh yeah, paces. Just like Chris Higgins who had 27 goals and 11 assists for 38 points in 42 games prior to his injury in November 2006. I remember, people even said they wouldn't give him up for a Marian Hossa in his prime at the time. Hell, even a 1-for-1 trade for a prime Patrick Marleau was being considered idiotic.

Sure, quote some posters from 2006 who overrated Chris Higgins because of a miracle pace he was on to start one season. Higgins came into the league with the pedigree to become a solid 3rd line winger. He spent his career as a solid 3rd line winger. No one in the hockey world ever expected him to be a top 6 player, let alone a top liner worth more than Marian Hossa. And he never was that great. I wasn't on the board around that time, but I'm sure he got overrated.

This is nowhere near the same situation. Alex came into the league with top flight pedigree. He had a incredible production as a 16 year old in the OHL. He was drafted top 3 overall and would've gone 1st overall if not for his knee. He has all the size and talent in the world to become a top line centre.

I remember what people said also. "Off-ice issues are overwhelmed". "It's fine, he's young.". "It's stupid to listen to tabloids".

Same **** with the Kostitsyn.

And don't compare him to AK46, who had the hockey sense of a pea. Galchenyuk's hockey sense with the puck is above average and he knows how to find openings in the offensive zone when he doesn't have the puck. I'll never expect him to have above average defensive awareness in his own zone, but that is something we can live with considering the goaltender and defensemen he plays in front of.

Some people never learn. I did. I don't want the same scenario to repeat all over again. Especially with a young Russian D that is vulnerable to this kind of bad influences. I trade Galchenyuk one-for-one for Duchene without even thinking twice. I'd even add a bit on top of it. Not because Duchene is a franchise player. But because it's definitely going to make the TEAM as a whole better. Like last year's blockbuster did, whether people want to admit it or not.

Actually, some people never learn trading talented young or established players for older, less talented players is not the way to build a winning hockey team. If you can't come up with valid hockey reasons to trade player A for player B, then chances are it's not a good trade.

Give me a break about making our team a whole lot better. One team did get a whole lot better; and that's the team that just played 22 playoff games. When you finally realize that the team took a step back with the trade, are you going to start claiming that it made our team's locker room a whole lot better?

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Complete and utter bull **** considering he's barely played centre over the last 3 years.

Barely? You clicked on the link and saw he corrected to 2 years right?

62 out of 82 in 15-16 (76% is not barely)
52 out of 61 in 16-17 (85% is not barely)

114 games out of 143 games at center, 80%. Not barely

Even if we include the last 3 years, its a huge difference, but not barely (57%)

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
This is the time you go after a guy like Duchene, his value hasn't ever been this low.

He's 26, has shown he can be a very good centre and has been stuck playing on a horrible team. He's not done, on a better team he'd be a guy who puts up 60-70 points while being solid defensively.

Ideally we could get him and run Chucky down the middle as our second line C, but I could live with trading Chucky for him as long as we can upgrade our 2nd line C as well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Complete and utter bull **** considering he's barely played centre over the last 3 years.

Complete and utter misuse of what was intended. I don't care about those stats or the guy who produced them, it was in the context of Belial continuing to beat a drum about his own selective stats about how Galchenyuk is "not even close" to Duchene.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Sure, quote some posters from 2006 who overrated Chris Higgins because of a miracle pace he was on to start one season. Higgins came into the league with the pedigree to become a solid 3rd line winger. He spent his career as a solid 3rd line winger. No one in the hockey world ever expected him to be a top 6 player, let alone a top liner worth more than Marian Hossa. And he never was that great. I wasn't on the board around that time, but I'm sure he got overrated.

This is nowhere near the same situation. Alex came into the league with top flight pedigree. He had a incredible production as a 16 year old in the OHL. He was drafted top 3 overall and would've gone 1st overall if not for his knee. He has all the size and talent in the world to become a top line centre.

And don't compare him to AK46, who had the hockey sense of a pea. Galchenyuk's hockey sense with the puck is above average and he knows how to find openings in the offensive zone when he doesn't have the puck. I'll never expect him to have above average defensive awareness in his own zone, but that is something we can live with considering the goaltender and defensemen he plays in front of.

Actually, some people never learn trading talented young or established players for older, less talented players is not the way to build a winning hockey team. If you can't come up with valid hockey reasons to trade player A for player B, then chances are it's not a good trade.

Give me a break about making our team a whole lot better. One team did get a whole lot better; and that's the team that just played 22 playoff games. When you finally realize that the team took a step back with the trade, are you going to start claiming that it made our team's locker room a whole lot better?

The team who played 22 playoffs games... you mean the team who had a guy idiotic enough to light a fire under the best player of the world's ass when his team was gaining momentum in the series? :laugh: Yeah, I can live without that guy, thank you.

How is one player posting a 0.9PPG ratio for 42 games on a miracle pace while Galchenyuk's 0,9PPG for 50 games is realistic?

I don't give a horse crap about what was expected of Player X or Player Y. Every single guy out there have sequences where they shine and everyone starts seeing them as more talented than they are. I remember the Leafs and Kyle Wellwood :laugh:.

As for Galchenyuk having an incredible hockey sense, he does not. He just does not. A nice pass here and there (which he actually isn't doing consistently, most of his hot streaks were actually a result of Pacioretty spoon-feeding him with open-nets) and thousands of missed dekes and missed attempts at beating 3 players while not even moving your feet is not what I call having a great hockey sense. In fact, he's similar to Kostitsyn in many aspects. Both are/were too stupid to keep it simple when the situation asks for it.

You want valid hockey reasons to stop being patient with this guy? Watch last season's playoffs. Mr. Playboy has 4 goals in 28 playoffs games. He was already slow before his knee injury, and now it seems even worst. He's incredibly inconsistent and is getting eaten alive in most line matchups when he's on the ice. That's all there is to it. If you let yourself fall in love with 2 or 3 junior-level dekes, it's your problem, not mine.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The team who played 22 playoffs games... you mean the team who had a guy idiotic enough to light a fire under the best player of the world's ass when his team was gaining momentum in the series? :laugh: Yeah, I can live without that guy, thank you.

If you think Crosby played well because of that i don't know to say. Crosby doesn't need anyone to play well and motivate himself.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

We've seen what happened the last time Bergevin wasn't shopping someone.

They can't just sign Galchenyuk for one or two years. Assuming the market is unfavorable to a deal, then Bergevin should just sign him for say 5 years, by insisting on no restriction clauses added to the deal and take it from there.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Complete and utter misuse of what was intended. I don't care about those stats or the guy who produced them, it was in the context of Belial continuing to beat a drum about his own selective stats about how Galchenyuk is "not even close" to Duchene.

Perfect world we get Duchene without giving up Galchenyuk. I'd rather only give him up in a package that brings back a true #1 cente. Duchene is not that guy. I wonder if schenn in Philly is available. Would be a huge upgrade over Danault

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

How is one player posting a 0.9PPG ratio for 42 games on a miracle pace while Galchenyuk's 0,9PPG for 50 games is realistic?

I don't give a horse crap about what was expected of Player X or Player Y. Every single guy out there have sequences where they shine and everyone starts seeing them as more talented than they are. I remember the Leafs and Kyle Wellwood :laugh:.

As for Galchenyuk having an incredible hockey sense, he does not. He just does not. A nice pass here and there (which he actually isn't doing consistently, most of his hot streaks were actually a result of Pacioretty spoon-feeding him with open-nets) and thousands of missed dekes and missed attempts at beating 3 players while not even moving your feet is not what I call having a great hockey sense. In fact, he's similar to Kostitsyn in many aspects. Both are/were too stupid to keep it simple when the situation asks for it.

You want valid hockey reasons to stop being patient with this guy? Watch last season's playoffs. Mr. Playboy has 4 goals in 28 playoffs games. He was already slow before his knee injury, and now it seems even worst. He's incredibly inconsistent and is getting eaten alive in most line matchups when he's on the ice. That's all there is to it. If you let yourself fall in love with 2 or 3 junior-level dekes, it's your problem, not mine.

While I agree with the spirit of your post, you forget the most important aspect of Galchenyuk's arsenal : his release is the best on the team. Pacioretty has a hard wrist shot but is slower to get it on net. Max is more of a volume shooter too. AG has a deadly shot. He should be a fixture at the left circle on the PP.

But yeah he has below-average IQ and is very slow. He reminds me of Michael Ryder. Absolutely a top-6 forward but a complimentary one with limited skills. Elite shot and not much else.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Oh yeah, paces. Just like Chris Higgins who had 27 goals and 11 assists for 38 points in 42 games prior to his injury in November 2006. I remember, people even said they wouldn't give him up for a Marian Hossa in his prime at the time. Hell, even a 1-for-1 trade for a prime Patrick Marleau was being considered idiotic.

I remember what people said also. "Off-ice issues are overwhelmed". "It's fine, he's young.". "It's stupid to listen to tabloids".

Same **** with the Kostitsyn.

Some people never learn. I did. I don't want the same scenario to repeat all over again. Especially with a young Russian D that is vulnerable to this kind of bad influences. I trade Galchenyuk one-for-one for Duchene without even thinking twice. I'd even add a bit on top of it. Not because Duchene is a franchise player. But because it's definitely going to make the TEAM as a whole better. Like last year's blockbuster did, whether people want to admit it or not.

I tried very hard to stay away from this thread and I want to bring some facts that will bring to light some of the issues at hand. Since of course facts don't care about your feelings , here are the facts :

Galchenyuk:

- Best season in his career in 2015-2016 (no coincidence it's the year he played the most time as a center).
- Continues his pace in 2016-2017 until his injury.
- Top 10 in points in the NHL before his injury. (http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists)
- Comes back and takes some time to get his foot speed back (natural after a knee injury of this type).
- Gets juggled between C and Wing , while being demoted several times. (by an inept coach)
- Finishes the season on the 4th line.
- Still ends up with 3rd most points on the team despite missing 25% of the season.

Bergevin :

- Inherited a young core of Price,Subban,Pacioretty,Gallagher,Galchenyuk and five years later has nothing to show for it. (except for an older core of Price,Weber,Pacioretty,Gallagher,Galchenyuk)
- Trades a younger star Defenseman (who is arguably better suited for the new NHL) for an older star Defenseman.
- Keeps a coach (that lived in his guest house) on staff after the worst streak in Habs history (setting an NHL record for worst record before getting fired).
- Claims top line centers/forwards aren't available and can't be acquired , despite his colleagues not having such a difficulty.
- Unable to recognize the lack of development within the organization (coached by his brother in law in St-John's) and one the only prospect to seemingly develop properly came from the SHL.
- Ages our core by trading away Subban (by going in "win now" mode) to only end up trading for grinders at the deadline.

Bergevin demonstrates a clear lack of vision , common sense. (not to mention the obvious cronyism when looking at his hiring practices)
It's obvious that anything he says or does we should be going in the opposite direction.
When looking at the hate on Galchenyuk often it includes a statement justifying Bergevins actions and this being a natural progression of his management style (to weed out of the lazy players from the grinders we prefer).
This is nothing but the actions of a desperate man with no recourse. I don't see how anybody can look at these results and take the side of management , the blind faith needs to stop this is not politics or a religion. This is team sports it involves logic , skill and a bit of luck. When the only reason a GM makes a trade is because his team admits to the media it has no identity , there is obviously a bigger issue here.

As the saying goes "The fish rots from the head" , we stink and the issue isn't Galchenyuk.

While I agree with the spirit of your post, you forget the most important aspect of Galchenyuk's arsenal : his release is the best on the team. Pacioretty has a hard wrist shot but is slower to get it on net. Max is more of a volume shooter too. AG has a deadly shot. He should be a fixture at the left circle on the PP.

But yeah he has below-average IQ and is very slow. He reminds me of Michael Ryder. Absolutely a top-6 forward but a complimentary one with limited skills. Elite shot and not much else.

He has above average hockey IQ , I don't know what you are talking about. He is a deceptive playmaker with very soft hands and a heavy shot.

"Complimentary player with limited skills" ...You are absolutely hilarious , thanks for the laugh. It's easy to tell when posters barely watch hockey when they can only compare players to other past Habs players with similar goal totals. One poster brings up Higgins and now Ryder, wow never change HFB MTL.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Perfect world we get Duchene without giving up Galchenyuk. I'd rather only give him up in a package that brings back a true #1 cente. Duchene is not that guy.

Totally agree with you on that. Too many disturbing signals about Duchene. Sometimes the issues that one has are better than the ones we don't know about from an incoming player. This could be a huge slippery slope.

If the market doesn't respond favorably to Galchenyuk, then the prudent response is to hold and sign. And put yourself in a position to deal him later provided the contract is not too lengthy and doesn't contain too many movement restrictions.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Barely? You clicked on the link and saw he corrected to 2 years right?

62 out of 82 in 15-16 (76% is not barely)
52 out of 61 in 16-17 (85% is not barely)

114 games out of 143 games at center, 80%. Not barely

Even if we include the last 3 years, its a huge difference, but not barely (57%)

Hang on a second. You're telling me Galchenyuk played full time at centre last year for 52 games??? I call ******** at that. He may have taken a draw or 2 but that didn't make him a cente in every game but 9
These stats are completely cherry picked. Like most On here I watched almost every game and he didn't not play centre 85% of the games full time last year. Complete BS. Berkshire is trying to prove a point untruthfully

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Hang on a second. You're telling me Galchenyuk played full time at centre last year for 52 games??? I call ******** at that. He may have taken a draw or 2 but that didn't make him a cente in every game but 9
These stats are completely cherry picked. Like most On here I watched almost every game and he didn't not play centre 85% of the games full time last year. Complete BS. Berkshire is trying to prove a point untruthfully

Your memory is fooling you.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Your memory is fooling you.

I know I'm getting old but there's no way in hell Galchenyuk played a full 60 minutes at centre for 52 games last year. No way
One way to prove it is to see how many face offs he took compared to those others. Love to see that stat

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
If you think Crosby played well because of that i don't know to say. Crosby doesn't need anyone to play well and motivate himself.

No, no, no, the guy with a cabinet full of hardware and junior trophies all over his garage needs PK to figure out he needs to up his game. OBVIOUSLY. He was SLEEPING through these playoffs before! :laugh:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I tried very hard to stay away from this thread and I want to bring some facts that will bring to light some of the issues at hand. Since of course facts don't care about your feelings , here are the facts :

Galchenyuk:

- Best season in his career in 2015-2016 (no coincidence it's the year he played the most time as a center).
- Continues his pace in 2016-2017 until his injury.
- Top 10 in points in the NHL before his injury. (http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists)
- Comes back and takes some time to get his foot speed back (natural after a knee injury of this type).
- Gets juggled between C and Wing , while being demoted several times. (by an inept coach)
- Finishes the season on the 4th line.
- Still ends up with 3rd most points on the team despite missing 25% of the season.

Bergevin :

- Inherited a young core of Price,Subban,Pacioretty,Gallagher,Galchenyuk and five years later has nothing to show for it. (except for an older core of Price,Weber,Pacioretty,Gallagher,Galchenyuk)
- Trades a younger star Defenseman (who is arguably better suited for the new NHL) for an older star Defenseman.
- Keeps a coach (that lived in his guest house) on staff after the worst streak in Habs history (setting an NHL record for worst record before getting fired).
- Claims top line centers/forwards aren't available and can't be acquired , despite his colleagues not having such a difficulty.
- Unable to recognize the lack of development within the organization (coached by his brother in law in St-John's) and one the only prospect to seemingly develop properly came from the SHL.
- Ages our core by trading away Subban (by going in "win now" mode) to only end up trading for grinders at the deadline.

Bergevin demonstrates a clear lack of vision , common sense. (not to mention the obvious cronyism when looking at his hiring practices)
It's obvious that anything he says or does we should be going in the opposite direction.
When looking at the hate on Galchenyuk often it includes a statement justifying Bergevins actions and this being a natural progression of his management style (to weed out of the lazy players from the grinders we prefer).
This is nothing but the actions of a desperate man with no recourse. I don't see how anybody can look at these results and take the side of management , the blind faith needs to stop this is not politics or a religion. This is team sports it involves logic , skill and a bit of luck. When the only reason a GM makes a trade is because his team admits to the media it has no identity , there is obviously a bigger issue here.

As the saying goes "The fish rots from the head" , we stink and the issue isn't Galchenyuk.

He has above average hockey IQ , I don't know what you are talking about. He is a deceptive playmaker with very soft hands and a heavy shot.

"Complimentary player with limited skills" ...You are absolutely hilarious , thanks for the laugh. It's easy to tell when posters barely watch hockey when they can only compare players to other past Habs players with similar goal totals. One poster brings up Higgins and now Ryder, wow never change HFB MTL.

I'm not going to go ahead and defend Bergevin. To me his work in the past 3 calendar years is mediocre. The Weber trade is not part of the reason though, and it doesn't make Galchenyuk any more of a valuable asset. To me he's grossly overrated here.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Above-average? The guy tries junior dekes and fails the vast majority of the time. Fumbles the puck even when barely pressured. He's slow on the puck and has poor positionning. Passing well =/= IQ. He doesnt generate anything by himself and doesnt make his linemates better. Plus he's a liability defensively.

Needs top linemates and top minutes to do anything. Danault and Byron are more productive at 5-on-5 ffs. Definition of complimentary player.

Whats funny is that I like AG. Been a fan since before the 12 draft. But he needs to figure it out because he's not playing well.

Please stop using childish retorts like : "you dont watch the games". I actually do and cant tell if youre serious. Tell any coach at any level that Galchenyuk has a strong IQ. Youll get laughed at. The guy has poor decision making.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

This is obviously the case. It's no different than other demonizations of Subban.

Subban makes a joke, it costs a Cup. He personally endorses, guarantees and facilitates the largest charitable contribution in Canadian sports history and he's a selfish egoist who's just looking for attention and tax breaks. PK enjoys a different sartorial experience and he's a clown who is better served in the NBA.

PK's a guy who bled Bleu, Blanc et Rouge, and was the team's best skater in the regular season and playoffs for most of his tenure. The perpetual fabrications and outrageous criticisms regarding his behavior on and off the ice are pathetically transparent and distasteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad